List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

A few Blues posters blame their coaching staff for SPS’s regression. Thoughts on that?

Not much different to how we view Brander I guess, but SPS has shown a lot more and seems to have gone backwards.

Do you honestly think we are going to find a supposed A grader with a 50+ pick in the draft? Because that’s basically what you’re asking. it just won’t happen

Every team needs role players and SPS is exactly that. No team in the whole league is full of A graders. We will get SPS cheap and that’s all we can ask for. It’s still an improvement on the team overall.

I agree we need guys to displace our older stars but it’s not going to happen with a late pick in the draft and by all reports we can’t land a big fish so doesn’t leave us a great deal to work with. If getting SPS gives us a little more midfield depth and creates more competition for spots at a cheap cost then that’s a win

Maybe, maybe not. But hell of a good chance you will at least find someone that matches sps output.

Sps wasn’t even depth in Carlton’s midfield who have a couple of good midfielders and that’s it. What makes you think he will do better at wce?

Do you honestly think we are going to find a supposed A grader with a 50+ pick in the draft? Because that’s basically what you’re asking. it just won’t happen

Every team needs role players and SPS is exactly that. No team in the whole league is full of A graders. We will get SPS cheap and that’s all we can ask for. It’s still an improvement on the team overall.

We brought Langdon in as a role player.

SPS is simply another addition to ensure we become increasing mediocre.

Time to give it one last crack with what we have and then properly bottom out.

Use the draft this year!

(P.S. Yazz was wrong. The only way is down then up).

I highly doubt a player would nominate WCE without at least sounding out whether we'd take him on board for the right price or not.

I imagine there'd be an in-principle agreement already between WCE, SPS' management and Carlton.

Bond basically confirmed that. Discussions have been ongoing for a while.

Blues obviously picking up Hewitt from Swans plus they are chasing Cerra. Two inside mids that push SPS even further down the pecking order. They need his list spot and cap space to bring in new mids.

SPS see's two more inside mids arriving and looks for a club who needs inside mids.

So all very logical and shouldn't be a massive deal to get done early so Carlton can land their big fish.

Maybe, maybe not. But hell of a good chance you will at least find someone that matches sps output.

Sps wasn’t even depth in Carlton’s midfield who have a couple of good midfielders and that’s it. What makes you think he will do better at wce?
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Personally I don’t think it’s a huge chance we find a hidden gem at a 50+ draft pick considering our strike rate in the last few years has been diabolical and I also think SPS has been poorly managed and coached so see plenty of upside. Worth a shot in my eyes

Do you honestly think we are going to find a supposed A grader with a 50+ pick in the draft? Because that’s basically what you’re asking. it just won’t happen.
No one is saying that.

But I'd rather try and draft and get a one in 5 or 10 hit / chance they come good.

The alternative is keeping these list cloggers going nowhere, Hutchings, Vardy, Ainsworth, Ah Chee.

There's always a chance in the draft. With the list cloggers there is no chance.

SPS has played 93 of a possible 105 games since being drafted. Please let me know how many players picked at pick 50 can match that output, while explaining how playing ~90% of the possible games over 5 years means you're not even depth.

We brought Langdon in as a role player.

SPS is simply another addition to ensure we become increasing mediocre.

Time to give it one last crack with what we have and then properly bottom out.

Use the draft this year!

(P.S. Yazz was wrong. The only way is down then up).
Personally I think there is infinitely more upside with SPS than Langdon ever showed so I’m not sure I see the comparison.

We are going to bottom out regardless by the looks of things. If we can get SPS back to playing the footy he was playing when drafted at pick 6, then a 25/26 year old SPS when we’re bottomed out will slot very nicely into a young midfield brigade hopefully on the rise

No one is saying that.

But I'd rather try and draft and get a one in 5 or 10 hit / chance they come good.

The alternative is keeping these list cloggers going nowhere, Hutchings, Vardy, Ainsworth, Ah Chee.

There's always a chance in the draft. With the list cloggers there is no chance.
Actually the post I replied to was inferring that

No one is saying that.

Was Lyons a list clogger at GC?

Stephen Martin?

Ben Keays went to Crows and is kicking ggv arse.

Plenty of examples of players moving and coming good, and they weren't top 10 picks.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPS has not exactly excelled at Carlton, one can only form an opinion on what we have seen and up to now.
New clubs have done wonders for some players so I guess we will wait and see.
One thing we know for sure is that the club is having another crack at the flag. Bit of a background rebuild, heading to the draft to strengthen the Beagles initially while backing in the bulk of the list to turn back the clock and try and pinch another flag.

I'm less concerned about his potential output now that we've got Knights and Schofield joining the club, 2 midfield coaches who can actually develop midfielders properly.

Wines just won a Brownlow and Guthrie was AA last season. Both coaches did wonders with those blokes so it'll be interesting to see if the same can be achieved with SPS.

I'm less concerned about his potential output now that we've got Knights and Schofield joining the club, 2 midfield coaches who can actually develop midfielders properly.

Wines just won a Brownlow and Guthrie was AA last season. Both coaches did wonders with those blokes so it'll be interesting to see if the same can be achieved with SPS.

Very much looking forward to both new coaches going about their business.

SPS was tracking nicely through his first three years, then there was a drop of in 2020 (noting shortened games impacted stats for all), and didn't really pick it up again in 2021 (noting TOG a fair way down thanks to a couple of injury/sub games which impacted overall stats).

If we can get him cheap, there's a lot to work with, certainly more than you Ah Chee / Langdon types we've picked up in the past. Sure, it might not work out, but you'd be silly not to have crack given his pedigree and exposed form so far.

Capture.PNG Capture.PNG

I would have loved to have seen Zac Langdons exit interview this year if we had a real prick of a coach:

"So Zac, this year we saw some good signs. Expect for a couple of minor things. Namely you're a forward who can't make the distance from 35 meters out and your sh*t......"

A real honest and old fashion coach would of had a ball with the exit interviews with lots of our players.

SPS was tracking nicely through his first three years, then there was a drop of in 2020 (noting shortened games impacted stats for all), and didn't really pick it up again in 2021 (noting TOG a fair way down thanks to a couple of injury/sub games which impacted overall stats).

If we can get him cheap, there's a lot to work with, certainly more than you Ah Chee / Langdon types we've picked up in the past. Sure, it might not work out, but you'd be silly not to have crack given his pedigree and exposed form so far.

View attachment 1242831View attachment 1242835

Just happened to coincide with being shunted to half back when Teague came in

Some players and coaches just don't gel, doesn't mean those players are a lost cause. Does mean you might be able to get a bargain

Just discussed with a sane Blues fan and his comment was
Brander and pick 35
For
SPS and pick 25

rationale-brander has more time to develop. Give talls longer

I would take that deal. Both out of contract and with ????

haha would take that deal! a 10 pick upgrade too.

1632271066629.png

Dark Sharks said:
Not really a fan of Stack at all TBH. Poor man's SPP mixed with the aggression of Clem Smith.

Same goes for Hill to a lesser extent. I've got concerns whether his game in the midfield could transfer to AFL level. He's too small to play his way.

I fear we'll end up hiding him in the forward pocket (standard move by us) just like Carlton is doing now with SPS. No point if we've got Cameron coming.

Dark Sharks said:
Yikes, SPS had 17 touches at 28%DE with 5 clangers.

Carlton are destroying these kids careers, they need to fold.

Dark Sharks said:
Not sure why SPS gets thrown up, i reckon he's deadset average.

If you're going to poach a WA kid from a spud team i'd be targeting Zac Fisher instead.

Dark Sharks said:
Oh for real? From my understanding he was too small to play on ball and they were struggling to find him a set position to play.

Thought it was off HBF or maybe wing at times.

14 of his 22 games this year he had less than 19 disposals and only 2 clearances a game. So if he's playing mid, he's not great at it.

I won't put too much heat on a young player, but i have my doubts he'll be a quality AFL mid.

Dark Sharks said:
I must be one of the few who simply don't rate SPS.

In fact i'll say it. He's sh*t. I'd towel him up with a fend off myself then make him look silly with a shake and bake.

Just don't think he impacts games or does anything special as an AFL player whatsoever. Lots of 15m dinky kicks.

15 touches and 1 tackle a game in 2021.

Would take Brander every day of the week by the length of Pav's nose.

Pretty sure i've been fairly consistent with my views on SPS over the years :eyes:

View attachment 1242881

Pretty sure i've been fairly consistent with my views on SPS over the years :eyes:
I'm not that stoked either even if he costs us nothing, because trading in higher profile players usually just means it's one less draftee that gets an opportunity. Hopefully they take the Witherden approach and make him force his way in rather than becoming an auto selection for the season, otherwise it's just less opportunity for Trew/Edwards/Winder to prove themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back