List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Not a fan of going after Cripps. We’ve already got our big fish. Premiership sides aren’t built from superstar trades, especially multiple. Look at our last flag.. the majority of them came from 2 drafts and/or some savvy trading moves like Yeo.

He’d clearly add something but at what cost? Throwing all our assets and a lot of cap space (more than market value to get them to shift) into 2 players is set up for failure. Would only be keen if we got him through an unmatched FA for a reasonable price.. which is unrealistic given Carlton will over pay him or match and hold us to ransom.

Not a fan of going after Cripps. We’ve already got our big fish. Premiership sides aren’t built from superstar trades, especially multiple. Look at our last flag.. the majority of them came from 2 drafts and/or some savvy trading moves like Yeo.

He’d clearly add something but at what cost? Throwing all our assets and a lot of cap space (more than market value to get them to shift) into 2 players is set up for failure. Would only be keen if we got him through an unmatched FA for a reasonable price.. which is unrealistic given Carlton will over pay him or match and hold us to ransom.

The hawks had a bunch of trade in's in arguably the best team of the modern era.

The hawks had a bunch of trade in's in arguably the best team of the modern era.
They weren’t superstar big ticket trades though. They were role players who filled gaps, and some had injury clouds that made them cheaper.

I fully agree that huge trades in an attempt to win flags does not work more often than not, and it has a risk of making the rebuild harder due to salary cap issues and loss of draft picks.

Tom Lynch is a decent counter example but Richmond would have gone back to back regardless of whether they brought him in or not

The core of that team was still Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell, Birchall etc who they drafted.

Pray the Blues finish bottom 2. They may well consider and accept FA compo.

I actually dont see them paying Cripps over $1m a year long term. He simply isnt worth that coin.

They weren’t superstar big ticket trades though. They were role players who filled gaps, and some had injury clouds that made them cheaper.

I fully agree that huge trades in an attempt to win flags does not work more often than not, and it has a risk of making the rebuild harder due to salary cap issues and loss of draft picks.

Tom Lynch is a decent counter example but Richmond would have gone back to back regardless of whether they brought him in or not
I don't think Tigers would have won in either 2019 or 2020 without Lynch. Don't forget they were one win off missing top 4 both years, could they have won those games without him? Reiwoldt also missed a good chunk of 2019 with a knee injury (during first part of the season).

Gunston, McEvoy, and Lake were no Chris Judd but they were all more than bit part players. You could argue Lake's 2x AA made him more of a 'superstar' than Tom Lynch is.

Gunston, McEvoy, and Lake were no Chris Judd but they were all more than bit part players. You could argue Lake's 2x AA made him more of a 'superstar' than Tom Lynch is.
Cmon, Gunston had played 14 games for Adelaide before he was traded.

I'm not suggesting these guys weren't successful at Hawthorn, but they aren't the same as WCE or Freo trading in a guy like Cripps.

It's semantics. By role players i didn't mean "bit part" I just meant they weren't the sort of player that you build a side around, neither at their previous club or their new club.

I don't think Tigers would have won in either 2019 or 2020 without Lynch. Don't forget they were one win off missing top 4 both years, could they have won those games without him? Reiwoldt also missed a good chunk of 2019 with a knee injury (during first part of the season).
I dunno. They dominated 2017 and 2018 without him, and their success has never been contingent on KPF performance. I'm sure taking him out will make them slightly weaker in the short term, but I just don't think it's comparable to Port/Geelong's efforts to trade in a flag IMO.

For numbers sake, lets assume for a second that both Kennedy, and Hurn, retire at the end of the season

How much cash would that potentially free up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The core of that team was still Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell, Birchall etc who they drafted.

Correct you both are. Getting value trades seems to be key. And history would suggest the multiple 1st rounders and decent young player the big names draw is bad value.

So I flip 180 degrees.

Hawks looking back on it did great trading in those players with out paying massive amounts.

What did they pay for Burger?

Correct you both are. Getting value trades seems to be key. And history would suggest the multiple 1st rounders and decent young player the big names draw is bad value.

So I flip 180 degrees.

Hawks looking back on it did great trading in those players with out paying massive amounts.

Apparently a complex four team trade but Hawthorn gave up pick 9 and Mark Williams.

Burgoyne was 28 and coming off an injury plagued season and was supposedly cooked physically

Williams was a dual leading goalkicker and premiership player

So I flip 180 degrees.

4 club trade

1616739400528.png

His knees were also apparently shot and close to retiring.
11 years later...

I dunno. They dominated 2017 and 2018 without him, and their success has never been contingent on KPF performance. I'm sure taking him out will make them slightly weaker in the short term, but I just don't think it's comparable to Port/Geelong's efforts to trade in a flag IMO.
Don't buy into the tigers dynasty narrative. They finished third in 2017 and everyone thought they were out in straight sets until they surprised Adelaide in the GF. A good gutsy win.

Got a ridiculously easy draw for a reigning premier in 2018. Clearly were not the best team that year but we all know the fixture skews the ladder. We deserved the premiership and were proven as the best.

I think from that point they would have declined without Lynch. Wouldn't have fallen out of the 8 but may have been like us, finishing 5th/6th but just making up numbers. Remember, one less win in 2019 and 2020 and they are 5th and we are fourth. Surely Lynch at least gave them that much? That and generous home ground fixturing and extra days break for key games.

The Eagles accepted further pay cuts on the acknowledgement that the club won't chase a big trade at the end of season ......so we get Cripps = we lose half our players = we Fold .
This. Cripps is staying at Carlton or going to Freo. We are not in the chase at all, for better or worse.

The Eagles accepted further pay cuts on the acknowledgement that the club won't chase a big trade at the end of season ......so we get Cripps = we lose half our players = we Fold .

Two loop holes.

Trade v fre agent.

We can if other players retire or are traded out freeing up cap space.

Saying that we wont pay Cripps more than any of our other stars either.

Personally would rather chase younger talent in trades before their price peaks.

Don't buy into the tigers dynasty narrative. They finished third in 2017 and everyone thought they were out in straight sets until they surprised Adelaide in the GF. A good gutsy win.

Got a ridiculously easy draw for a reigning premier in 2018. Clearly were not the best team that year but we all know the fixture skews the ladder. We deserved the premiership and were proven as the best.

I think from that point they would have declined without Lynch. Wouldn't have fallen out of the 8 but may have been like us, finishing 5th/6th but just making up numbers. Remember, one less win in 2019 and 2020 and they are 5th and we are fourth. Surely Lynch at least gave them that much? That and generous home ground fixturing and extra days break for key games.
Yeah maybe you’re right. Wasn’t he a free agent though and he took a pay cut? Not sure he really cost them as much as other examples

I don't think they win 2019 without Lynch.

Reiwoldt missed a heap of games and only kicked 24 goals for the season but lynch kicked 63.
In the prelim Reiwoldt was kept goaless but Lynch kicked 5.

Trade Whispers: Patrick Cripps ‘not gettable’ and ‘certain’ to reject big WA offers

Great news ... he's too set with the Blues and Melbourne setting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back