List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Happened last year too. Though last year can be somewhat forgiven with covid being relatively new to the block.

Complete and utter incompetence from the AFL for this not to be known this year.

It actually boggles the mind.

You could be right on Hurn and Kennedy. Its probably a two way-street in that they're not sure whether they can be bothered playing on another year for peanuts, and the club is not yet sure exactly how many list spots and salary cap they have left.

I think you are right about JK and fair enough. I sort of hope he hangs the boots up even if we go backwards slightly upfront as i feel we could lose Waterman if he doesnt have a settled spot. Also we NEED to get more games into Williams and to do that Oscar needs to play as the FF/CHF.

Hurn i think will play regardless and will stay on as coach and that could have an extra pay component to it. I would have him as a development coach under Pratt down back. He sees the game so well so i think he will make an excellent coach.

The last two years have been crap, mentally and physically (injuries). How many injuries were the result of reduced training loads, either forced or unforced (relaxing). Fix that and we have fitter players available more often. Thats how we improve 5-10% in one preseason. Nothing to do with list changes.

As for the spirit of 2018....................that can return but its all above the shoulders.

Talent is there.........but what about the mind set?
You proposed bringing in a dipstick like Sier and I said no thanks - wrong culture.

You then say it is all above the shoulders, not about the list, etc. What are you saying?

Do you want Sier? How would he go about bringing the right mind set?

Assuming Cameron and Brander get delisted as expected, we only have 6 list spots available with that probably being a 4/2 split between the main and rookie lists

Our 4th pick in the draft is currently 68 and that will shift into the high 50’s once Collingwood and the bulldogs use up their fistful of picks to match F/S bids

I’m taking the chance that a Rogers/Clarke type is still there at that stage rather than use that spot up for someone like Sier. There’s also the possibility that our (non)academy player Arthur Jones might last till then so again I’m keeping that spot open for the draft

Your scenario gains them 1000 points next year, though on the proviso that the ladder finishes reflect 2021. Would be a bit of a gamble for Brisbane to the tune of 2 first round draftees in exchange for kids they can pick up with a combination of 2022 & 2023 draft picks.

Don't think they'd be keen to trade out of the first round this year completely.

How about:
WCE 2021 pick 35 + WCE 2022 2nd (pick ~30)
for
Brisbane 2021 pick 18

Brisbane transfer between 502 & 948 points into next year (depending on WCE ladder finish), but downgrade their pick 18.
Brisbane's gamble in this scenario is significantly less.

We go to the draft with 10, 18 & 29.
I'd want pick 14 for that. Our second for 2022 would be incredibly valuable to them.
Also these scenarios, I'd want to wait until the night before doing that deal.
The have been lots of posters disc WA prospects - myself included. I’m not sure of others but there is reason for using local names.

1. Over the past 2 years, the WAFL and SANFL have continued but the Vic u18 has been limited meaning clubs are going on very little info and hoping the conversation with Vic junior coaches fills in some gaps.

2. With WA and SA playing the only 3 relevant games, we have seen Sheldrick play on Roberts but not Gibcus play on Darcy. In the colts GF we saw Bazzo shut down the dominance of JvR. Without the carnival, it is guesswork how good some of the Vic guys are.

3. I had intended on being in Melbourne the last 2 years to catch up with EastcoastEagle and Monocle but there has been no carnival and the borders are effectively shut. We normally discuss WA and Vic prospects with the other 2 named also watching a load of SA footage. I confess to not doing the SA bit.

4. If you read my posts, you will note the use of “a player like …” meaning a like for like player eg MJ or Arlo. A load of our posters can have discussions based on what they have seen so it stays relevant.

5. The draft this year has some real evenness and 10 to 22 then the 25 to 40 feel like 2 even ranges. Hence again the use of of “a player like …”. Example - Taylor v Sheldick v Browne.

Does our club take best local? Rarely. It has a great system in place. That said, an 18 year old away from home that gets parents visiting and goes home every couple of months tends to settle. A significantly bigger test in a lockdown world with closed interstate borders. Given today’s world, I would go MJ over an interstate option for that very reason (assuming the gap between them is not too great).

My major concern has been the Pieman has a record of going best available early and addressing needs later.

I want him to moderate that to address the lack of inside and balanced mids. I am also tired of hearing a flanker who has a run in some quarters is a mid. We were even told that Oscar might play mid (I do not think Bond meant ruck).

I am hoping the 2 recruits that will improve our team are already picked in Schofield and Knights. A change in game plan coupled with priority at the draft to our midfield will ensure we do not fall from 9th and have a chance to push top 4 in 2022 (mindset shift needed here), improving out S&C team, and better development.
Well said sir, I agree I'd go WA/SA over Vic this year. Unless I felt their was some real value EG: Chesser was still there at 29.

I actually prefer Ward to Johnson, but due to the way this year has played out I'd go MJ if they were both available.

Will they nominate for the rookie draft?

Can see us using our 4th on a Rogers or Clark. Sheldrick as a slider. If we get MJ earlier then Rogers.

I hope we use one rookie spot on a mature recruit, likely KPP / ruck.

There are some decent young footballers being delisted earlier that in previous years imo. Cap pressure is tight and uncertain, clubs are wary of what has happened to others and so are possibly cutting players early as a draftee has no bargaining power, mini cap dumps.
Players nominate for the draft, which includes the National Draft and the Rookie Draft. There is no separate nomination process.

Given Sheldrick's last month, I suggest he is a riser and not a slider.

Players nominate for the draft, which includes the National Draft and the Rookie Draft. There is no separate nomination process.

Can they nominate financial terms that would effectively price them out of the rookie draft?

Assuming Cameron and Brander get delisted as expected, we only have 6 list spots available with that probably being a 4/2 split between the main and rookie lists
Our 4th pick in the draft is currently 68 and that will shift into the high 50’s once Collingwood and the bulldogs use up their fistful of picks to match F/S bids

I’m taking the chance that a Rogers/Clarke type is still there at that stage rather than use that spot up for someone like Sier. There’s also the possibility that our (non)academy player Arthur Jones might last till then so again I’m keeping that spot open for the draft

So 4 rookies gone, and 3 off main list so far (4 out and 1 in):

Out -​
• Venables (R)​
• Hutchings (R)​
• Ah Chee (R)​
• Collins (R)​
• Vardy​
• Ainsworth​
• Johnson​
• Cameron (may move to rookie list or gone completely... tbc)​

In​
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52​

Players without contracts/unknown status:

• Kennedy​
• Hurn​
• Brander​

Assuming Kennedy and Hurn stay, from memory we were 1 player down from the main list last year? So does that could mean we could keep Brander and still take 4 picks in the national draft? Or we may chose to move on Brander, take 4 picks and keep a spare main list spot for the best performing rookie?

I assume we'll take 2 rookie picks also (as lists are 2 players less in 2022)?

I'm just trying to get my head around what list spots we actually have up for grabs.

Jones doesn't want to come to WC, we haven't handled this r/ship well.

Adelaide showing some interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So 4 rookies gone, and 3 off main list so far (4 out and 1 in):

Out -​
• Venables (R)​
• Hutchings (R)​
• Ah Chee (R)​
• Collins (R)​
• Vardy​
• Ainsworth​
• Johnson​
• Cameron (may move to rookie list or gone completely... tbc)​

In​
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52​

Players without contracts/unknown status:

• Kennedy​
• Hurn​
• Brander​

Assuming Kennedy and Hurn stay, from memory we were 1 player down from the main list last year? So does that could mean we could keep Brander and still take 4 picks in the national draft? Or we may chose to move on Brander, take 4 picks and keep a spare main list spot for the best performing rookie?

I assume we'll take 2 rookie picks also (as lists are 2 players less in 2022)?

I'm just trying to get my head around what list spots we actually have up for grabs.

I don’t recall exactly why or when but prior to the mid season draft list sizes for 2021 were increased to 44 (from 42)

For the 2022 season they return to 42 so we have to cut 2 more players than we bring in

I don’t recall exactly why or when but prior to the mid season draft list sizes for 2021 were increased to 44 (from 42)

Not quite, our list size was 44 because we put Venables and Cameron on the inactive list prior to the mid-season draft, so we only had 42 active players. That’s why we’ve got to cut two spots.

For the 2022 season they return to 42 so we have to cut 2 more players than we bring in

Were they, or did we just place 2 players (DV and Cameron) on the LTI list therefore opening up 2 spots?

i.e. after the mid-season draft we were always going to have to cut an additional 2 rookies at season's end (or upgrade). Obviously Collins became one of them (and DV was also always moving on).

Can they nominate financial terms that would effectively price them out of the rookie draft?

Only if they've previously been listed by a club (then they can set terms for PSD/National draft or just National draft - they can also choose the contract length).

First-time draftees are on set financial and contractual (length) terms. This is designed to stop teams poaching high-draft-pick players after 1 year (Hence why guys like Tom Boyd get $1m per year, as the previous year he was on his rookie set wage. TK another example - in fact it is why we'll always see a lot of mature age draftees chase dollars in their second contract).

You proposed bringing in a dipstick like Sier and I said no thanks - wrong culture.

You then say it is all above the shoulders, not about the list, etc. What are you saying?

Do you want Sier? How would he go about bringing the right mind set?

You questioned if we had the leadership and culture to bother bringing in mature agers like Sier. My point is clubs and playing groups rise and fall and Im not talking about list rebuilds, we see ebbs in there performances and how for several reasons (fixable within the current list).

We had a very good winning, team first focus 3 years ago. Those leaders are still here. We get our bodies and minds switched on and add some enthusiasm of youth I think this group can turn it around.

Nothing to do with Sier being our savior. Replace Sier with a Dumont or a Rogers if you prefer, its the last rookie spot. What do we do with it, add depth or go for a long shot?

Only if they've previously been listed by a club (then they can set terms for PSD/National draft or just National draft - they can also choose the contract length).

First-time draftees are on set financial and contractual (length) terms. This is designed to stop teams poaching high-draft-pick players after 1 year (Hence why guys like Tom Boyd get $1m per year, as the previous year he was on his rookie set wage. TK another example - in fact it is why we'll always see a lot of mature age draftees chase dollars in their second contract).

Ah ok, wasn’t sure if it was just previously-listed players or if it was anyone over draft age.

I'd want pick 14 for that. Our second for 2022 would be incredibly valuable to them.
Also these scenarios, I'd want to wait until the night before doing that deal.

Well said sir, I agree I'd go WA/SA over Vic this year. Unless I felt their was some real value EG: Chesser was still there at 29.

I actually prefer Ward to Johnson, but due to the way this year has played out I'd go MJ if they were both available.

Yep, I hope we hold fire on any deals prior to draft night - but obviously line up the discussions now. Get some in-principle agreements in place so if a player we really rate is available at a pick we know is for sale we can pounce.

Something like pick 18 will command a higher price now (just based on a pretty-much-useless points calculation) than it will when it is 'live' on draft night as at that stage it will be pick 20.

Yep, so 44 on the website including rookies: https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/teams/afl/players

We've lost 'net' 7 players (8 + SPS), consisting of 4 rookies and 4 main list inc. Cameron. With 2 less from the reduced list sizes we have 5 spots remaining.

If we lost Brander, we have 6 spots to fill, both across main list and rookies... I'm just not 100% sure of the splits although most likely can be 3 and 3, or 4 and 2?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back