List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
So with Brander being delisted do we think list mangers are thinking of getting another key fwd/back in his place like he was drafted for or do we think they will go a mid instead?

He obviously struggled to find a role with our bounty of tall stocks atm but give it a couple of years and Kennedy, gov, darling and Barrass are all finished up or finishing and we will need more. That being said we need more mids/mid options at the moment.

Will be interesting to see the drafting strategy.

On SM-N950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Tall pool is light on this draft, We have Hedwards and Allen coming on in KPP so there isn't a rush for us to go with a tall this year.
I hope we take maybe one if they slide in one of our final picks/rookie. but I'd want us to focus on Mids. Preferably inside mids with some burst. Shuey and Redden will be done in the immediate future and we need to have some guns rolling through by the time TK gets to the 30s.

Maybe one outside mid as a future Gaff replacement, but not in the first 2 picks.

At least the Brander delisting goes some way to explaining his weird mid-season “back injury” after he was not named in either the Beagles nor the senior side. Took ages for the club to come out with what the hell was going on. Barely got a look in for the rest of the year after that.

Between this and clear unwillingness to work for each other on field, it looked like there were some serious things going on in the background this year, really hope the club has a few sausage sizzles for the boys to work out the issues over the off-season.

Will be very interesting to see how attitudes/player conditioning looks coming back from the break.

You can genuinely see Richmond taking amiss however.

Both Richmond and Freo need a tall, I can see 6,7,8 going amiss, gibcus, Erasmus.

Assuming gws take Callaghan what do we see hawks, saints and in particular GC chasing. If saints are certain they can get king next year they will certainly go small but if not they could go tall. Hawks and gc could also reach on a tall as well.

If 3 talls are off the table before our pick(not including Darcy) we will have the choice of a top line mid prospect either way. If ward or Hobbs are still on the table do we go there or Johnson.

For me it's tough. I'd still go Johnson. While not fast his ability to find space whilst also posting a great agility testing time for me pretty much finalised it. Has good skills, finds space when others can't, has good size and the agility in tight to make up for any perceived lack of pace.

Gc in particular are a wild card as I have NFI who they would be into. So much talent needing to be resigned this year and it could all come down to who they think they will be able to keep.

If Hobbs or ward are there, unless they’re a genuine I will go home after 2 years, I’d be disappointed if we didn’t end up with one of them but happy with MJ if those two are off the board. His disposal looks very polished.

Which AFL games of him as a KPP did you see, apart from on debut against Sydney as an 18 year old?
Why would we play brander as a KPP in the afl when he couldn't even play that role well at wafl level ?

Hedward showed more ability as a Key defender in his first season off the rookie list than brander ever did .

ApparentlyBrander would prefer to be played as a third tall . Why ? So he doesn't have to play on the big boys as he doesn't like the physical part of the game

Does anyone have an informed understanding on what it would take for the likes of Regan, Farmer and Lawson being picked up as Cat B rookies?

My question is wanting clarification on whether we have to wait until they fail to get selected in the Rookie draft or just the national draft.
Not Informed but pretty sure you can only cat B them if they go undrafted in both drafts

Rookie draft no club ' has rights' to NGA players or father sons just an open pool with no matching bids

Also Cat B payments go into the soft cap so taking 2 cat B rookies could cost us another non playing staff member

Why would we play brander as a KPP in the afl when he couldn't even play that role well at wafl level ?

Not what I asked.

“I saw him play as a KPP at AFL level and fail.” When was that, that one game he played against Sydney in 2018 as a key forward when we had a massive injury list?

I’d also love to know when ziad saw him play as a KPP at WAFL level, given he lives over East (I’m pretty sure), and bugger all games would have been telecast in 2018 and 2019.

Tom Campbell delisted by North, could be a bargain basement pickup as a backup ruck?

Good size, turns 30 in a couple of weeks but hasn’t put too many miles on the tyres so he’s probably got a couple of years in him still which is the absolute most we’d need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones is way before Petch in the pecking order imo.
And especially if Shuey moves to more of a HF type role in future I'm wouldn't be surprised to see Jones push a declining Cripp's out of the 22.

F: Allen - JK - Rioli
HF: Ryan - Darling - Shuey
Bench: Jones
Why does everyone keep banging on sbout shuey moving to the HFF? we have NO midfield depth

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1. Where is pick 52 coming from? It's not one of our selections.

2. Yes.

If we had 52 along with our 13, absolutely i'd cash it in to get pick 6. That'd enable us to get Johnson or Erasmus whilst costing us basically nothing as pick 52 is borderline where everyone starts passing on selections anyway. Last years draft had 59 selections.

The real question is What Club would be dumb enough to downgrade their pick 6 to 13 for essentially nothing.

Used pick 13 on Brander then 4 years later traded pick 52 for SPS (pick 6 four years ago)

Was hopeful of Brander, I also think he should have been retained and given a shot, but hey he's not the first and won't the last first round pick to be delisted without so much as a whimper.

I look forward to this thread being bumped if/when he gets picked up and plays well in 2022.

I reckon you could justify spending our pick #1 on any of; 1) a rebound halfback flanker, 2) a ruckman, 3) a midfielder or 4) a key forward. Just pick the best available of one of those and dont * it up this time.

Was hopeful of Brander, I also think he should have been retained and given a shot, but hey he's not the first and won't the last first round pick to be delisted without so much as a whimper.

I look forward to this thread being bumped if/when he gets picked up and plays well in 2022.
We probably offer to retain him . He probably asked for us to delist him.

We cut our losses . We don't want someone at the club who doesn't want to be here

Given this I’m surprised there’s been little discussion here about ‘re-purposing’ existing players. Should we start the year assuming all players go around again in their existing positions?

For example, I think HEdwards would strengthen our backline given Gov and TB both tend to be intercept players (and chaos teams tend to simply bypass them.) But then can we have all three plus Rotham in the backline? Or can we use TB or Gov elsewhere?

Or Jones to midfield maybe? Or ????

Or can we trim down or bulk up players for a different role? (But given our lack of pace in an increasingly fast game maybe we may need less bulk and more pace generally.)

Etc etc

I've been banging this drum for a while.

Makes sense to me. Our backline in 2018 looked best with Schofield in it. Hence HEdwards.

Probably means we can't play Rotham in a team with Edwards Barrass and Gov though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back