List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see Josh Smith play VAFA. Apparently they don't get paid. Would have expected him to play VFL or country footy back in Melbourne.

Very high proportion of WC delisted players seem to disappear completely
Yeah but I don't get it him moving to Melbourne (being a QLD boy) and then playing in an average league that apparently doesn't pay.

He seemed to be a McInnis type and would have thought we would have given a job for him n the 2's.

Yeah but I don't get it him moving to Melbourne (being a QLD boy) and then playing in an average league that apparently doesn't pay.

He seemed to be a McInnis type and would have thought we would have given a job for him n the 2's.
Maybe he has secured a job in another field and just wants to play socially with out much pressure.

I'm not sure if it is an open secret, but there is certainly continued strong speculation if not outright admission that the larger clubs in the amateur league pay players by proxy (i.e. get a job outside of footy, that is well paid but the player doesn't work full time). DLS would have plenty of old boys who would make those jobs available.

The other thing that happens apparently (probably not for Smith as he is a bit young) is discounted school fees or scholarships for kids (again, this is rumors, but one that was strongly linked was a host of ex STK player - Robert Harvey, Loewe and Brett Voss playing for Haileybury).

I guess in one way it is an admission that his AFL career is likely over - but I'm never convinced it is a 'pay cut' going to A grade amateurs as his wage might well be higher, albeit no 'football payments' at a place like DLS.

Elijah Hollands has done his left knee, poor guy. He is a gun! Dominated last season as an underager, but unfortunately he'll miss this season meaning he'll definitely slide in draft calculations.
Hopefully we can squeeze our way into first round and take him!

Elijah Hollands has done his left knee, poor guy. He is a gun! Dominated last season as an underager, but unfortunately he'll miss this season meaning he'll definitely slide in draft calculations.
Hopefully we can squeeze our way into first round and take him!
Bad news and as you stated, a bloody good top end talent. Given the number of club aligned prospects tipped to be in the first round, I expect him to still attract decent attention so it won't be a late first rounder to get him.

No sure what I think about getting a first rounder in 2020. We will have mediocre picks and I would probably wait until 2021 to package up picks to get an earlier pick. I'm still looking at your Tassie boy to deliver the goods - might only be at WAFL this year.

Bad news and as you stated, a bloody good top end talent. Given the number of club aligned prospects tipped to be in the first round, I expect him to still attract decent attention so it won't be a late first rounder to get him.

No sure what I think about getting a first rounder in 2020. We will have mediocre picks and I would probably wait until 2021 to package up picks to get an earlier pick. I'm still looking at your Tassie boy to deliver the goods - might only be at WAFL this year.
Yeah, you're right. Probably only a few that will go past him now like Parker, Campbell, Ugle-Hagen. Probably slip back realistically to pick 5 or 6.
Max King is example of that, did his knee early in year and still went pick 4. But he is 200cm key fwd who is quick.
Just thought 12 months of no footy, there might be enough players that have big years and surpass him.
Definitely an interesting year, some good talent but will be hard to get.

I 🥶🥶photo 2and and
From the Venables statement: club says that decision on whether we take one or two via SSP "is likely to be made in the next fortnight".

Basically saying that they hope to sort it out before the Mar 13 deadline.

Well no Venables or Rioli for all of 2020. No wonder we've been trialing small defensive forwards.

I'd take one now and leave a spot open for mid season and see who is dominating in the WAFL and look at our needs at that point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it has been stated but can't we take 2 now and still take one mid year?

Depends what we do with Rioli. As it stands we only have two list positions available - the last (44th) spot that we didn’t use in the draft and the additional spot that came available when we mothballed Venables

If we are able to put Rioli on the inactive list then we may have another spot but I’m not sure if that can be done before his hearing is held

I thought he was OK. At least had the athleticism for AFL level.

Given he played a few years for Collingwood he was probably settled in Melbourne.

Gotta back the club on Reid selection. Personally not a fan of it and would have rather seen a hard nosed Grey.

Good luck to Nick tho.

I'm not a big WAFL watcher, does anyone have some informed thoughts on Reid?
When I saw him, he was crafty around the goals. Kicked a bag more than a few times last season as a top up player. Quick rise from ammos to AFL listed in one season though, which tempers expectations.

Know nothing about his tank, which isn't to say it's bad just that I'm not across it, but if its not that great then I wonder what the upside on 'crafty around the goal against WAFL defenders and middling tank' is. To my mind, a good use of the spot in case it all comes together, but not racing out to print his Round 1 jumper yet.

Grey would have been a more like for like selection for DV. DV played that HFF/defensive mid role in 2018 and thats where Grey played a lot of his footy for Freo. Would have also been able to come into the guts if needed an extra bigger body or a tagger.

Grey would have been a more like for like selection for DV. DV played that HFF/defensive mid role in 2018 and thats where Grey played a lot of his footy for Freo. Would have also been able to come into the guts if needed an extra bigger body or a tagger.
Grey is a s**t version of maginity. So happy we avoided that list clogger

I cannot remember a single AFL or WAFL game when Venables played as a defensive mid. HHF and an outside mid but never defensive mid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back