Traded Dan Hannebery [traded to St Kilda with #28 for #39 and future 2nd round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok so if he is a "key mid" and contracted, why are Syd willing to let him go.

He has been playing Afl since he was at school in a super combative style. No wonder he looks done.
There could be a host of different reasons such as...
  • Sydney want to restructure their midfield (e.g. add some pace)
  • Sydney want to bring in a key defender
  • Longmire has finally accepted his game style needs to change and needs to shuffle personnel
  • Sydney are looking to lure big fish(es)
  • Sydney want to restructure existing contracts to lure certain players in 2019
  • Proposed rule changes place more emphasis on "X" skill which Sydney currently lack
  • The player has family/personal reasons for wanting to return home
  • The player is offered more money or job security at another club

That's without thinking too deeply and I'm sure there are plenty more.

The "cooked" analysis is made by those who can't see past the stats column. If he'd had two seasons with zero injury interruptions and his stats had dropped off, then you could make that case. He has had legitimate injuries over the past two seasons and is now injury free.

There could be a host of different reasons such as...
  • Sydney want to restructure their midfield (e.g. add some pace)
  • Sydney want to bring in a key defender
  • Longmire has finally accepted his game style needs to change and needs to shuffle personnel
  • Sydney are looking to lure big fish(es)
  • Sydney want to restructure existing contracts to lure certain players in 2019
  • Proposed rule changes place more emphasis on "X" skill which Sydney currently lack
  • The player has family/personal reasons for wanting to return home
  • The player is offered more money or job security at another club

That's without thinking too deeply and I'm sure there are plenty more.

The "cooked" analysis is made by those who can't see past the stats column. If he'd had two seasons with zero injury interruptions and his stats had dropped off, then you could make that case. He has had legitimate injuries over the past two seasons and is now injury free.
All fair points but how can we look at players, especially mids, if we don't look at stats column.

It is like saying a player is a good key position forward but he doesn't kick goals.

All fair points but how can we look at players, especially mids, if we don't look at stats column.

It is like saying a player is a good key position forward but he doesn't kick goals.
Looking at stats is fine, but it should never be the primary judge of a player's ability or worth. Everything needs context.

Sydney did Hannebery no favours by rushing him back from injury a couple of times, but such is his value to the team's performance that it's deemed worth the risk. Sti Kilda will do a crapload of medical tests on him, so they'll know exactly what they're getting in to - you've just got to back them from there.

St Kilda are ultimately likely to pay a value around a mid 20's pick for an A grade midfielder (whether that's a straight second rounder, future pick, swap of various picks, or includes players). Yes, there is an element of risk concerning injuries but it's an absolute no-brainer. Drafting a kid in the mid 20's means you're about 50/50 likely to get a decent AFL standard player. If Hannebery does indeed get a full pre-season under his belt, you'll have picked up a genuine A grader for peanuts.

Dunstan to Carlton might get us a late 2nd or early 3rd, which is as much as we’d probably want to pay.

Hannebery will cost more than pick 40 and Dunstan doesn't hold that value he's a late pick at best.

You guys are apparently looking at Tom Hickey. Not sure if he is worth a 2nd rounder?

He isn't even close to a 2nd. Can't get a regular game at the Saints, that says plenty.

The only way a 2nd goes to the Saints with Hickey involved is as steak knives with Acres being the steak.

Hickey will likely be a DFA.

Well its not like Sydney are desperate to keep Hannebery. His contract is s**t so you won't get full trade value due to a salary dump.
That's a whole different tangent, but thanks for your time.

He isn't even close to a 2nd. Can't get a regular game at the Saints, that says plenty.

The only way a 2nd goes to the Saints with Hickey involved is as steak knives with Acres being the steak.

Hickey will likely be a DFA.

If your rating of Acres wasn’t proof enough that you have no idea what you’re an about, then the fact that you think St Kilda will delist Hickey, despite being a desired player with a year left on his contract, certainly is.

If your rating of Acres wasn’t proof enough that you have no idea why you’re an about, then the fact that you think St Kilda will delist Hickey, despite being a desired player with a year left on his contract, certainly is.

OK he's contracted. Sorry I don't know every players contract status. Will he get an extension next year?

As for Acres how is his injury history?

Had quite a long discussion about Acres on the Eagles board and some people who have followed him from his junior days pre draft highlighted how is has struggled even then injury wise.

Our consensus was we would be very nervous to use a 2nd on Acres because of that injury history which seems quite consistent.

But carry on.

I was referring to the fact that he said swans probably leaked false information that Collingwood wanted Hanners. Don’t understand why they would pick a team with such a stacked midfield.
Happy to take it back sorry miss read your comment. I apoligize.
Good luck on the weekend

Not sure why you thought I was having a go at your team.

OK he's contracted. Sorry I don't know every players contract status. Will he get an extension next year?

As for Acres how is his injury history?

Had quite a long discussion about Acres on the Eagles board and some people who have followed him from his junior days pre draft highlighted how is has struggled even then injury wise.

Our consensus was we would be very nervous to use a 2nd on Acres because of that injury history which seems quite consistent.

But carry on.
Blake hadn't missed a game through injury in two and half years prior to a groin strain this year.

His first year was his only injury interrupted year in the AFL really so I'm not sure where all this talk has come from.

We won't be trading him unless he wants out I wouldn't think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A return for Hannebery that won't step foot onto the field until 2020 seems unrealistic imo

we would want trade value that gives us a best 22 for 2019, be it player or pick

If you want a situation that gives you your best 22 for 2019, you'd keep Hannebury and not trade him.
That's ridiculously simplistic. What if the player wanted to move for family reasons? What if the club wanted to change up the game plan or structure?

That's ridiculously simplistic. What if the player wanted to move for family reasons? What if the club wanted to change up the game plan or structure?

I agree entirely. I was just replying to the comment saying that the Swans would only want a scenario where they had a player in their best 22 instead of Hannebury. I think this is a bit unrealistic given his situation, for the reasons you've stated.

I agree entirely. I was just replying to the comment saying that the Swans would only want a scenario where they had a player in their best 22 instead of Hannebury. I think this is a bit unrealistic given his situation, for the reasons you've stated.
I think the point is that Buddy only has a handful of years left, so Sydney won't want to release a mature key player and only replace them with an 18 year old in 2020. People say "future second rounder" because that's the simplest way to define Hannebery's value, considering Saints don't have a second this year. In reality it's most likely the trade will include a pick swap that keeps the value for Sydney in 2018.

I think the point is that Buddy only has a handful of years left, so Sydney won't want to release a mature key player and only replace them with an 18 year old in 2020. People say "future second rounder" because that's the simplest way to define Hannebery's value, considering Saints don't have a second this year. In reality it's most likely the trade will include a pick swap that keeps the value for Sydney in 2018.

I guess we're only saying a future second rounder because we (currently) have no second rounder to offer for this year. And I am also unsure of how we'd end up with a second rounder in this years draft without paying overs for it.

Either way it will be interesting to see how it plays out, most scenarios would result in an equitable solution for both clubs.

I guess we're only saying a future second rounder because we (currently) have no second rounder to offer for this year. And I am also unsure of how we'd end up with a second rounder in this years draft without paying overs for it.

Either way it will be interesting to see how it plays out, most scenarios would result in an equitable solution for both clubs.
Yeah exactly. From the sounds of things it's close to a done deal.

Trade hysteria is at an all time high this year. Normally we don't hit this level until the trade period actually starts.. still a few weeks to go!

im still very surprised about this move

hanners signed a long term contract to stay 2 years ago when clubs like north and richmond were after him and now wants to up and leave all of a sudden and to the saints?

the pull seems to be the extra 2 years saints are offering on top of the 3 he has left meaning he will play till 33, but seems wierd to be thinking that far ahead when he still had 3 years to go in contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Back