Bailey Williams
Zaine
Lipinski
JJ re-signing
Toby
Macrae
Membership boost
Flag unfurling round 2.

Agree with the positives except for Bailey Williams. He has been rubbish the last few weeks. He is meant to be a running half back with poise, but I see a guy who gets caught to often, shanks far to many kicks and is poor one on one.

If someone had come to me last year and said that 2017 was going to be a frustrating year with key players missing all year, the team struggling on field to beat even the worst of opposition whilst playing a poor brand of football, and ultimately ending the season with a whimper with a very mediocre 11-11 record in 11th spot - all while farewelling too heart and soul players.

And in return you can have the best finals series of your life ending in a premiership in 2016.....

I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Bring on 2018.

If someone had come to me last year and said that 2017 was going to be a frustrating year with key players missing all year, the team struggling on field to beat even the worst of opposition whilst playing a poor brand of football, and ultimately ending the season with a whimper with a very mediocre 11-11 record in 11th spot - all while farewelling too heart and soul players.

And in return you can have the best finals series of your life ending in a premiership in 2016.....

I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Bring on 2018.

What are you talking about? 2016 was a "fluke" and most of our players despite being under 25, are "cooked"

Are we all expecting Bont to miss another big chunk of pre season with surgery again this year ? Just once I'd love to see what sort of season he could put up with a full pre season under his belt :(

I'm sure we will soon learn that The Bont has been carrying an injury for a large part of the season. Has looked a bit lame recently and being partially hidden in the forward line. Need to get him right.

I feel the same. When he didn't even make the distance from 50 tonight my suspicions were confirmed

I feel the same. When he didn't even make the distance from 50 tonight my suspicions were confirmed
The man on the mark was 50 out G-man but Bont kicked it from 60+ (Closer to 65) it does my head in.... That said there's no doubt he's carrying an injury..

Salutations to Bob and Boyd. Not only are they two magnificent footballers but also magnificent people. You have every right to be proud of them.
The game is poorer for losing Luke Hodge. Deserves HOF/Legend status at some stage in the future.

The man on the mark was 50 out G-man but Bont kicked it from 60+ (Closer to 65) it does my head in.... That said there's no doubt he's carrying an injury..

My bad, I was probably typing something at the time....I thought he marked it at around 45.
Remind me to stay off Facebook. It's all poor woe us and sack / delist everyone

Agree with the positives except for Bailey Williams. He has been rubbish the last few weeks. He is meant to be a running half back with poise, but I see a guy who gets caught to often, shanks far to many kicks and is poor one on one.
Fair enough. Still young and I expect further improvement over the next 2 years. Most players on our list, young and old have been poor this year for too long hence we only won 11 games.

Are we all expecting Bont to miss another big chunk of pre season with surgery again this year ? Just once I'd love to see what sort of season he could put up with a full pre season under his belt :(
If he needs surgery I want him to have it TOMORROW. Same for anyone else.

Fair enough. Still young and I expect further improvement over the next 2 years. Most players on our list, young and old have been poor this year for too long hence we only won 11 games.

Agree. I think it's a miracle we won 11 games to be honest. Did we play well enough to end up 11-11? I think it flattered us in the end.

Originally, I hoped we limped into finals just so we could play a final, but we would have been smashed. This way, we finish 10th or 11th, a good draft pick and hopefully the burn that comes with blowing a great opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. I think it's a miracle we won 11 games to be honest. Did we play well enough to end up 11-11? I think it flattered us in the end.

Originally, I hoped we limped into finals just so we could play a final, but we would have been smashed. This way, we finish 10th or 11th, a good draft pick and hopefully the burn that comes with blowing a great opportunity.
Considering we struggled to win all 4 games vs the 17th and 18th teams I think 11 and 11 is about right.

The woman who scanned my ticket as I went in noticed the "I hate Magpies" and "I hate Tigers" pins on my scarf and asked where my "I hate Hawks" pin was. I told her that I've never hated Hawthorn. Tonight's Hawthorn supporters I sat among reinforced that. They were positive in their barracking for their team and I didn't hear a negative thing said about us the whole night and that included the two guys who sat next to me and finished off five beers each along with a couple of cokes with some evil spirits.

Yeah I remember sitting with a few of them at the VFL Grand Final back in 2014 and they were great to sit with. Friendly, charming and they didn't even mention their AFL team being really good in comparision to us. Even when they lost they congratulated us and didn't act like the grand final didn't matter.

I slept on the loss to avoid sanction and angst, but now i am
refreshed and ready.Most people will know of the supposed
fight of the century between Floyd Mayweather and the
infamous Conor McGregor, but their was a bigger fight that
took place on the wing at Etihad last night. The famed bout
was between Billy "The beep test" Hartung and Caleb "This
is a one way street right" Daniel, Billy took the points in a
split call without a punch actually being thrown by either
party.

Not too mention James "The knob" Sicily doing his very best
Marco Pierre-White impersonation "Where's the lamb,
Where's the lamb, Where's the lamb" only to receive the
news that there was no Lamb on the menu tonight. Cue a
thirty odd possession game plus votes and a week truly is
a long time in football. Now for the controversy, yes Bevo
we all get that Tom Campbell can be a defensive liability,
but then WHY select him and why was he on the bench
while Lewis Young did his best imitation of a key forward
in training. Oh and i almost forgot how quick and nimble
Jarryd Roughead is as a footballer, that's right he is not,
but he looked like Gary senior last night. Two words for
Simon Dalrymple "Leg Speed".

Ahhh that was very good for the soul.

I'm not too sure about that. I wish we had only given Young the games he deserved which would have been about 3, and left it as a short but positive stint in the seniors.

In each of the last three games he was arguably the worst player on the ground and both he and the team looked a lot poorer for his inclusion. Considering that we lost two of them in close finishes to drop out of the finals it could be assessed as a very costly development excercise, particularly if it accidentally shattered the kid's confidence in the process.
You're right - Roberts is no star but he can match it physically with big forwards. Young was poor the last few.

You're right - Roberts is no star but he can match it physically with big forwards. Young was poor the last few.

No Roberts can't match it physically. Too slow and not strong enough. He does have a brain and plays the angles.

Having said that Roberts is far stronger than Young.

Last edited:
Have a look at the player stats. They're not pretty reading. Bont had one of his worst games yet still way more influence than most of the team. Too many non contributors. If it's not a fitness thing then I worry for next year. Daniel, JJ, hunter, Biggs, suckling, Williams, Dunkley, picken etc just not doing enough. Far too many passengers all season. Some of these guys are still young but when a first gamer has more output than that many players it's not a good sign. Whether it's mental or physical a big turnaround is required from almost half our list if we're gonna be a team to be reckoned with. Otherwise we face another rebuild

Suckling kicking on his right foot was a highlight

I can't help giggling whenever I see Suckling go on his right, regardless of the result. Easily my favourite football player to watch just because of his unpredictability. We live or die by Sucklings boot so often it's hard not to get excited when he has the footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back