Recommitted Dylan Shiel [OOC 2024; reports he may move? Dodoro says he is a 'required player']

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is insane

Gresham + 13 for Shiel literally makes zero sense. Even if Essendon were to pay his whole salary it makes zero sense.

It’s not Gresham + 13, that’s the point.

St Kilda can have Gresham, or second / third round compo, or Shiel.

On no planet are St Kilda trading Gresham + 13.

I understand the discussion at hand. It’s being banded about by some nuffies that Essendon overpaying on Gresham nets St Kilda a compo which they then use on Shiel. It’s a poor reading of the situation by said that nuffies that’s missing the other parts that would actually benefit St Kilda.

I understand the discussion at hand. It’s being banded about by some nuffies that Essendon overpaying on Gresham nets St Kilda a compo which they then use on Shiel. It’s a poor reading of the situation by said that nuffies that’s missing the other parts that would actually benefit St Kilda.
It’s been reported by Jon Ralph. Not saying that means it’s correct, but it’s not just bigfooty chatter.

Not that the brownlow is the be all and end all, but it is topical and Shiel is 30 years of age with 4 brownlow votes total in the past 3 years. He's not walking into anything.

Can he run?

I’m not saying he holds much value but he can still play.

Lead the league in centre clearances in 2022

R2-3 compo is better than shiel.

Interesting re: Bombers salary cap situation ..... we are constantly hearing they have 2 million in SC space but that was before signing Redman, Parish & Wright to larger contracts and now if McKay & Gresham come on board that space takes another big hit (very likely the 2 million gone) ...... the more interesting part being that Essendon have 23 players coming out of contract at the end of next year some of who will want bigger contracts

AFL Out of Contract Players in 2024

Yet we keep getting told by Essendon supporters that they don't need to get rid of the Shiel contract to free up space

I cant imagine that Nic Martin and co will be happy to stay on the same money they are on now

Last edited:

Yeah I think what’s missing is saints benefitting more from the articles I have read.

Stand alone - Gresham out might be pick 40 at the moment (just making this up don’t get fixated on it).
I’d imagine the aim is to have Gresham out.

In Dyl + bomber pick 28.

So both clubs win there.

Bombers also lose cap space (which means they miss out on a 600k crouch when they pop up).

Yeah I think what’s missing is saints benefitting more from the articles I have read.

Stand alone - Gresham out might be pick 40 at the moment (just making this up don’t get fixated on it).

In Dyl + bomber pick 28.

So both clubs win there.

Bombers also lose cap space (which means they miss out on a 600k crouch when they pop up).
But surely

Bombers
In Gresham +32
Out Dylan Shiel

Is a win for the Bombers.

You wont get 32 for Shiel in an open market. If you rate Gresham at pick 40, then surely must rate Shiel at 50+

Interesting re: Bombers salary cap situation ..... we are constantly hearing they have 2 million in SC space but that was before signing Redman, Parish & Wright to larger contracts and now if McKay & Gresham come on board that space takes another big hit (very likely the 2 million gone) ...... the more interesting part being that Essendon have 23 players coming out of contract at the end of next year some of who will want bigger contracts

Yet we keep getting told by Essendon supporters that they don't need to get rid of the Shiel contract to free up space

I cant imagine that Nic Martin and co will be happy to stay on the same money they are on now
Guess who comes out of contract next year genius.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

False.

It was after Wright signed his contract.
Parish is on pretty much the same money as his last two years
Redman would have gone from ~550k to 650-700k

So that means of that 2 mil, we've lost maybe 150k. Not to mention that we'd have planned for Zerk-Thatcher and D'Ambrosio to stay so whilst they weren't going to be on heaps, that's probably 500k down as well.

And as far as Nic Martin goes, we'll be shedding Shiel's contract completely next year, no? Or he'll be on a significantly reduced salary if he's with us in 2025. So he'll get a nice little pay bump next year.

I admire how deeply you're trying to fight the obvious. Fact is, you've come in misinformed (thinking Shiel will be on 1 million next year, seriously. Try 2/3 of that) and dug yourself deeper every time thinking you've outsmarted us.

In Dyl + bomber pick 28.

So both clubs win there.

Correct
The win win scenario is bombers get Gresham and 13 and saints get Shiel plus 28.

But I very much doubt the AFL would allow this kind of deal.

Are you the biggest donkey on BigFooty?

I'd be surprised if Swans were able to get a third rounder for Luke Parker.

Am I doing it right? Is that how a 12yo brain operates?
The thread is on Dylan Shiel so not sure what Luke Parker has to do with it? Pretty irrelevant.

But since your brought it up, Parker is probably worth pick 40 to 50 and he's much better than Shiel.

Not sure who you are calling a donkey.

Also, that contract list? Two are already gone (Stewart and Munkara, showing how little we need to shed money in Stewart's case and Munkara always only had a one year deal); guys like Shiel, Heppell, Kelly, Stringer and Hind would be looking at pay cuts if they're still on the list; Tsatas, Jones, Davey, Hayes, Cox and Wanganeen wouldn't be looking at big contract upgrades barring a big surprise; Guelfi and Setterfield are both on middling contracts and will continue to be if they get re-signed.

The only guys who would be looking at significantly more at this stage would be McGrath (unlikely to be a big upgrade), Perkins (if he goes well expect a 4 year deal to take him to FA), Caldwell (should get a decent upgrade in money), Durham (from a below average to an average contract) and Martin (who I expect to get 5 years at 700-800 to take him to free agency)

False.

It was after Wright signed his contract.
Parish is on pretty much the same money as his last two years
Redman would have gone from ~550k to 650-700k

So that means of that 2 mil, we've lost maybe 150k. Not to mention that we'd have planned for Zerk-Thatcher and D'Ambrosio to stay so whilst they weren't going to be on heaps, that's probably 500k down as well.

And as far as Nic Martin goes, we'll be shedding Shiel's contract completely next year, no? Or he'll be on a significantly reduced salary if he's with us in 2025. So he'll get a nice little pay bump next year.

I admire how deeply you're trying to fight the obvious. Fact is, you've come in misinformed (thinking Shiel will be on 1 million next year, seriously. Try 2/3 of that) and dug yourself deeper every time thinking you've outsmarted us.
Wright 500k or more
Redman 100k to 200k more
Parish more
McKay at least 800k more
Gresham 600k or more

23 players out of contract next year ..... Essendon may not want to wait until the end of next year to sign some of them up so they aren't out of contract if they miss finals again

Yer 2 million is looking thin ..... with Shiel gone it gives you breathing space

Pretty obvious Essendon want Shiel out rather than SOS desperately seeking him out

Also, that contract list? Two are already gone (Stewart and Munkara, showing how little we need to shed money in Stewart's case and Munkara always only had a one year deal); guys like Shiel, Heppell, Kelly, Stringer and Hind would be looking at pay cuts if they're still on the list; Tsatas, Jones, Davey, Hayes, Cox and Wanganeen wouldn't be looking at big contract upgrades barring a big surprise; Guelfi and Setterfield are both on middling contracts and will continue to be if they get re-signed.

The only guys who would be looking at significantly more at this stage would be McGrath (unlikely to be a big upgrade), Perkins (if he goes well expect a 4 year deal to take him to FA), Caldwell (should get a decent upgrade in money), Durham (from a below average to an average contract) and Martin (who I expect to get 5 years at 700-800 to take him to free agency)
That last paragraph confirms that a significant amount of space maybe required and I doubt that Essendon would want to leave it until the end of next year to sign some of those players up ..... they could very likely want to extend some now ..... cause if they miss finals again ..... well ......

Wright 500k or more
Redman 100k to 200k more
Parish more
McKay at least 800k more
Gresham 600k or more

23 players out of contract next year ..... Essendon may not want to wait until the end of next year to sign some of them up so they aren't out of contract if they miss finals again

Yer 2 million is looking thin ..... with Shiel gone it gives you breathing space

Pretty obvious Essendon want Shiel out rather than SOS desperately seeking him out
Wright signed before the reported 2 million of space
Redman 100-150 more
Parish the same
McKay 650
Gresham 650

That's 1.4 or so.

That 2 mill is fine. It's funny how much you're doubling and tripling down despite everyone telling you you're wrong.
That last paragraph confirms that a significant amount of space maybe required and I doubt that Essendon would want to leave it until the end of next year to sign some of those players up ..... they could very likely want to extend some now ..... cause if they miss finals again ..... well ......
Yeah, we won't have any trouble keeping them.

And look at our list profile. Very young (3rd youngest) and inexperienced (3rd least experienced) this year. Missing finals this year is far from a disaster, and it'll be the same next year.

Keep digging. It's entertaining.

Wright signed before the reported 2 million of space
Redman 100-150 more
Parish the same
McKay 650
Gresham 650

That's 1.4 or so.

That 2 mill is fine. It's funny how much you're doubling and tripling down despite everyone telling you you're wrong.

Yeah, we won't have any trouble keeping them.

And look at our list profile. Very young (3rd youngest) and inexperienced (3rd least experienced) this year. Missing finals this year is far from a disaster, and it'll be the same next year.

Keep digging. It's entertaining.
McKay on 650k ..... so North get band 2 compensation? ...... I am sure they will be happy with that news

McKay on 650k ..... so North get band 2 compensation? ...... I am sure they will be happy with that news
AFL herbs and spices. They'll get band 1 even though it's a band 2 contract ;)

Wright 500k or more
Redman 100k to 200k more
Parish more
McKay at least 800k more
Gresham 600k or more

This is real head in the sand stuff, given a majority of this was addressed literally across the 4-5 posts above:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back