Review Geelong defeats North by 60 points

Remove this Banner Ad

This is an easy one... Miers out for sure of those three
when players who base their career advantage off aerobic capacity to run all game get pre season injuries that stuff up their conditioning, it is very hard for them to come back and have any influence... as their major asset is essentially stripped back from them. I think this is the case with miers.

I was already impressed with his debut season in 2021, but Max Holmes is really proving himself an astute draft gamble by the club, and barring injury he has all the potential and athleticism to be a 200+ game player.

Covers the ground effortlessly, great size and as Seeds said, the disposal is coming along.

I think there's plenty of room for all of Close, Stengle and Miers although perhaps it's time to swap out Close and Miers roles. Dempsey has the ability to float a bit and when his body fills out will be an aerial option up forward, for now he further adds to that ground-ball menace.

If the club is serious about managing player's workloads this year then Hawkins will have to be rested at some point; he's covering the ground fine for a man with no spring but it is a looong season and we've barely gotten started.

Just watched the game on replay. Like Essendon in rd 1, North were pretty woeful, so it's hard to take too much out of it in terms where we are sitting this season. Other sides are not going to give us nearly as much space to find players on the outside with series of handballs that often as what happened in the first half.
Just gotta say - can't remember who it was prior to the game, said Kolodjashnij might be in for a break out game after being rested last week. Well, some of the tackles he stuck out there - even when the game was basically over - were unbelievable. Just looked like a man on a mission.
And what can I say about Tom Hawkins? The man just keeps getting better and better every game he plays. That was just such a complete performance.
Selwood - I haven't seen him that sharp in terms of his disposal for a long long time. Brought a big smile to my face. Strangely enough I feel like the crackdown on umpire dissent is actually really helping Joel. He looked so much more focused and measured out there than he has been in recent years, even when some things didn't go his way by the umps.

Have to say, some made a big deal about Hugh Greenwood leaving the Suns for nothing and joining the Roos. While he is a good defensive player, he's showing his absence won't be felt much at all.
Just good depth and nothing more.

did you really just mention NFL goal kicking accuracy in relation to AFL goal kicking accuracy? 😳😳😳
Yes and they only spend 15 min of supervised goal kicking practice per day.
Just 20 hours of deliberate, focused practise is all you really need to build basic proficiency in any new skill.
It only takes 21 consecutive days to establish a new habit

One preseason of focused kicking skills drills would vastly improve a players kicking ability.

Recall Budda hocking did his right knee and need a year off to return
During that time he practice kicking with his left foot
When he returned he went from poor left foot kick to one of the best in the AFL

He's been serviceable, and I'm glad he's getting a game and playing alright at North, but he'd be just a depth player at Geelong. If best 22 at the Cats all he'd be doing is keeping Sam de Koning out of the side.

Just 20 hours of deliberate, focused practise is all you really need to build basic proficiency in any new skill.

One preseason of focused kicking skills drills would vastly improve a players kicking ability.

Not even remotely relevant.

• one kicker in an NFL team, Geelong’s stats would improve out of sight if we just let Selwood (example) kick every set shot. I’m sure Carlton would love for someone else to take McKays shots.
  • the ball is stationary in the NFL, Max Gawn (example) drops it from a metre an a half in air wobbling side to side.
  • pretty sure no set shots in the NFL are taken from the fence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was already impressed with his debut season in 2021, but Max Holmes is really proving himself an astute draft gamble by the club, and barring injury he has all the potential and athleticism to be a 200+ game player.

Covers the ground effortlessly, great size and as Seeds said, the disposal is coming along.

I think there's plenty of room for all of Close, Stengle and Miers although perhaps it's time to swap out Close and Miers roles. Dempsey has the ability to float a bit and when his body fills out will be an aerial option up forward, for now he further adds to that ground-ball menace.

If the club is serious about managing player's workloads this year then Hawkins will have to be rested at some point; he's covering the ground fine for a man with no spring but it is a looong season and we've barely gotten started.
I would like to know in a couple of games this year, if Max got rev up at half time like yesterday was very quiet 1st half then had a good 2nd half

There you go, nothing wrong with introducing young chaps who are not 'ready'. Ollie has footy smarts, is very elusive in the contest, gets out hand balls, contributed to goals and kicked a sausage himself. He'll start taking marks soon enough. His 70 k didn't seem to be a problem.

Mieirs on the other hand has to go - too many errors, can't tackle, can't kick. Another deb can come in for him.
And he (Miers) cost me the win in the knockout goal kicking comp 🤬 you're f@#king dead to me Grug. If only I had of known little Ollie was playing... grrrrr

Attachments

• images.jpeg-26.jpg
    images.jpeg-26.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 26
when players who base their career advantage off aerobic capacity to run all game get pre season injuries that stuff up their conditioning, it is very hard for them to come back and have any influence... as their major asset is essentially stripped back from them. I think this is the case with miers.
Agreed, and that can apply to Jack Henry as well.

I recall the great Paul Couch explaining how his kicking accuracy was so excellent. He said it was a mindset thing. He said every kick he had at training and in playing, he willed it to go where he wanted it to. It was a beautiful thing to watch, and he was adamant that this is a weakness in players- their mindsets. You have to know you can do it, and you have to will it to happen. Clearly, practice, technique and application are involved, but his comments were interesting from a player pov, admitting the mindset issue,.

only had one eye on most of the game, the one I saw was 2H just missed to the right. Looked straight enough, aimed wrong.
Had two in reasonably quick succession in the third quarter, from a generally similar position in the right forward pocket.

Like many others on the day, he kicked them both straight. Just were never on line.

Had two in reasonably quick succession in the third quarter, from a generally similar position in the right forward pocket.

Like many others on the day, he kicked them both straight. Just were never on line.
Yeah one of those.
He just doesn't seem to putting anything into his field kicks. And how many times has he miskicked and dribbled it across the ground? Just feels like something isn't right.
If it isn't a physical thing, I agree a term in the 2s to get his mojo back would help.

I recall the great Paul Couch explaining how his kicking accuracy was so excellent. He said it was a mindset thing. He said every kick he had at training and in playing, he willed it to go where he wanted it to. It was a beautiful thing to watch, and he was adamant that this is a weakness in players- their mindsets. You have to know you can do it, and you have to will it to happen. Clearly, practice, technique and application are involved, but his comments were interesting from a player pov, admitting the mindset issue,.

Taking advice from "the secret" didn't help his goal kicking. Why didn't he will those?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back