Review Geelong defeats North by 60 points

Remove this Banner Ad

am not going to go looking up the stats as i do not care to that extent seeds, but he seems to have bigger highs and lows stengle, and has gone missing on several occasions. Maybe the stats say a different story? but it has come across that way that he lacks consistency compared with close.

Could possibly be that he's still settling in and adapting to a new life and club?

Even though the Cats won by 60 points, I couldn't help but feel it was a scrappy game, and I think Geelong is not really top 4 material at the moment. There's so much room for improvement. North didn't really play well, and therefore it makes it hard to judge individual performances in that context. Hopefully, it was the run the guys needed because next week, we face Freo, who is playing exceptionally well.

am not going to go looking up the stats as i do not care to that extent seeds, but he seems to have bigger highs and lows stengle, and has gone missing on several occasions. Maybe the stats say a different story? but it has come across that way that he lacks consistency compared with close.
Slightly different but arguably complementary players.
Stengle can go missing for periods, but always would have that potential to break a game open and kick a bag. Goal hungry.
Close more of a workmanlike player able to bring others into the game but not necessarily hitting the scoreboard himself.

Last edited:

Even though the Cats won by 60 points, I couldn't help but feel it was a scrappy game, and I think Geelong is not really top 4 material at the moment. There's so much room for improvement. North didn't really play well, and therefore it makes it hard to judge individual performances in that context. Hopefully, it was the run the guys needed because next week, we face Freo, who is playing exceptionally well.
I don't think there's too many cats fans that thought of us as to 4 material coming in to the season. I had us 5-8th. Would be glad to be wrong

But once AFL ready will he get a spot in the 22?

Doubtful he'll step straight into AFL without any VFL under his belt

But I'd think the priority or main focus at the moment is his health - from all reports it's a slow & measured approach with his return to training & doubt they're going to rush things

I wouldn't of thought Holmes as he played more than 8 games last year.. but like u said thats footy wire

The cut-off is apparently no more than 10 games, and he had the 9 last year so he fits.

I wouldn't of thought Holmes as he played more than 8 games last year.. but like u said thats footy wire
Yes to more than 8, but he also played less than 10

To be eligible for nomination, the player must be under the age of 21 at 1 January that year, and have played ten or fewer AFL games as of the start of the season. A player can only be nominated once per season; if a player is suspended during the season, he may be nominated, but will not be eligible to win the award.

Yes to more than 8, but he also played less than 10

To be eligible for nomination, the player must be under the age of 21 at 1 January that year, and have played ten or fewer AFL games as of the start of the season. A player can only be nominated once per season; if a player is suspended during the season, he may be nominated, but will not be eligible to win the award.
I would hope SDK gets a look at, but the sad thing at his position compare to young mids he wont get the disposals as such. And a forward gets 3 or 4 goals they look good...
Hope they see what his position in what he does, kept Larky to no goals and 8 disposals is awesome effort

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slightly different but arguably complimentary players.
Stengle can go missing for periods, but always would have that potential to break a game open and kick a bag. Goal hungry.
Close more of a workmanlike player able to bring others into the game but not necessarily hitting the scoreboard himself.
Good summary. Close more a prototype HFF/high midfielder and close working more close towards goal as that prototype forward pocket.. Both the modern day version of their respective roles really

I’d still like to see cooper s get a game. Our midfield needs to find a new player, and soon. It’s looking pretty thin in there.

I’d also like to see neale get a game in place of sav, who’s form doesn’t warrant selection, and doubly so now he hasn’t played for weeks. I’d be pissed if they bring him straight back in once his ankle is 100%. He’s done nothing to earn that. Must come back through the vfl imo.
I think we will see all of the above getting games and hopefully impacting - the challenge is to do that in a manner that doesn’t compromise our form which should see us playing finals again.
Very excited to see who’s best 22 at year end though👍

That may be the answer. Bigger highes and lows. Kind of normal for a player who wasnt playing afl last year and been thrown straight back in. And normal for a player who plays deeper foward.

but the average is exactly the same.

why does consistency matter if the average is the same? It would still make them just as good on average.

That may be the answer. Bigger highes and lows. Kind of normal for a player who wasnt playing afl last year and been thrown straight back in. And normal for a player who plays deeper foward.

but the average is exactly the same.

why does consistency matter if the average is the same? It would still make them just as good on average.
Both have their advantages, but tomato tomatoe at the end of the day really when debating it.

Obviously a great result and really exciting to have forwards kicking lots of goals. But there are some of the same issues still there that a better side would exploit. We really need to kick better in front of goal been an issue all year.

Henry is a better player than Kolo but the backline is looking a little better structurally. O’Connor should stay down there he’s much more valuable there than midfield. Provided some run but we’ve had some issues down back and he’s help that.

It’s really good to see the youngsters coming through. Dempsey the man of the day but I really liked Holmes game. He’s developing into a leader and starting to be pretty physical.

I know there’s been a bit of discussion about our poor goal conversion today, but I thought Blundstone was known as something of a difficult ground in terms of goal kicking, especially for the ”visiting” teams

Before today there had been 28 matches at Blundstone Arena - North had featured in 27 of those matches, meaning that between the other 13 teams to have played at the venue there‘s 29 appearances/sets of data to take into account

Norths conversation before today was:
27 matches for 377 goals & 296 behinds

The other 13 teams before today:
29 appearances for 322 goals & 328 behinds

Adding in todays scores and it becomes
North, 28 matches for 386 goals & 303 behinds
The Rest have 30 appearances for 339 goals & 347 behinds

The other 13 teams are:
GWS (5), St Kilda (4), Melbourne (4), Sydney (3), WCE (3), Richmond (2), Adelaide (2), Geelong (2), Brisbane (1), GC (1), Port (1), Fremantle (1) & Carlton (1)

From these 13 teams, only GWS, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide & Port have a positive goal to behind conversion rate
Perfect weather today, as opposed to your stats. I’d be very confident to guess 60-70% of those games have had atrocious wind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back