Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he meant Taranto.

Will GWS match? The timing is really weird for them.

Do they let Taranto go and try and get a end of first round draft pick compensation? And then trade hopper out and get our near end of first round draft pick?

Or match Taranto and then make Richmond trade their mid first round pick? Then they can maybe keep taranto knowing they’ll trade hopper out and have the salary cap space. Or Richmond pay up and then they can keep hopper. Or if both go, then their draft picks end up better.

Taranto is not a free agent hes ooc so they will just deal with richmond

Hopper is contracted and a pre agent so they can keep him unless they get what they want.

They match every day of the week. 750k per year would be end of first round. They can do better

Hes not a free agent.

Nor is hopper until next year (hopper is contracted taranto isnt).

Depends on the new coach and what he wants really
The have a lot of same same midfielders and maybe now is the time to push him out rather than waste a year

Yeah but they will more than likely get a top 10 compo pick next year (same as daniher) so they wont trade him now unless they get at least that.

I honestly do not see much bettween our values on him ... you would trade an R1 and a R2... Id trade two r1's and get a R2 back... and this year GWS R2 is 21..so who knows what their Fr2 is worth in 2023.

Anyway probably a discussion for when. he definetly says he wants geelong. Seems like Tigers are in it up to the teeth.

Would either really give us much. Looking at the way Atkins has developed, and Zac Guthrie.. and the way we have intergrated a DFA in Stengle. If we miss out on Hopper...maybe we look at someone else delisted like the kid just flicked from Carlton. .... and weren't we linked to the other Carlton kid?

If Hopper goes to Rich...and Bruhn to Haw... then it gives us a chance to reassess needs.... and look at who else we might bring in.

Because a FR2 protects the risk as at worst its early 20s. Whereas a FR1 could end up being a top 10 pick..i wouldnt risk it.

Even if we miss on hopper i think theres a lot of other good options..im not convinced bruhn wont end up here and theres several mids on the market (mitchell for example). We also might go down the henry route much as id rather we didnt.
Im more interested in getting grundy in than any of the above tbh.

There’s talk of him being a watch for next year as a free agent.
Same situation at Hopper yet Parish is better

Let the Tigers have Hopper and go after Parish
Id rather Hopper... Parish is good, but to me he isn't damaging when gets the ball. Plays in the same role as Cuthrie, but Cuthrie is a far more berree player

Id rather Hopper... Parish is good, but to me he isn't damaging when gets the ball. Plays in the same role as Cuthrie, but Cuthrie is a far more berree player
I agree with your comparison of Guthrie but hopper isn’t the most damaging bloke going around

Parish gets a lot of junk possessions but he does one thing many mids dont do
Help the defense and clear from the back half

Have you read this thread? I definitely seen people rather Rhys and Ceglar over Grundy and say Rhys backup.

Grundy + Stanley + ceglar + Conway is way too much salary cap (and list spots) to be spent on pure ruckmen.

Especially if we have blitz + Sav + Neale on our list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who knows .

But they have meet with him.

Every one meets everyone around this time of year
Hardwick stated on AFL360 that Hopper "wants to come and we want to try to facilitate that"

You’d be telling Geelong to back out from Hopper now just because he met with another club? What, why? That’s terrible list management.
We've been working on him for over a year, and now he wants to explore other options. If his manager is using Richmond to get us to up our price then we need to counter by saying we don't have to trade for you. All in the art of negotiation my good friend.

Speculating about trading and drafting helps to while away the time until our next game.

It would seem that the trading situation is still very fluid and that there's no guarantee that any of the players mentioned will be coming to Geelong. My hunch is that we'll get Bruhn and he'd be a good get, simply because he has upside.

I hope Mackie and co are looking around for hidden gems, particularly mid-fielders, whether they are young AFL fellows with upside starved for opportunity (Flanders) or VFL players like Newcombe. Liam Stocker is a curious case: the Blues went to great lengths to get him and now he's on the outer. I know Flanders turned it over twice against us a few weeks ago but he'll probably make a career somewhere.

Parish has his critics, but I rate him - he gets the ball, is a decent kick and can kick a goal - and believe he could improve at Geelong.

Mitchell gets the ball but doesn't do much damage. Worpel is OK but not highly skilled. Dunkley is an accumulator and would be acceptable. However none of these players are quite what we need, which is ball-winning ability, combined with breakaway speed and adequate disposal skills. Not having consciously watched him I'm not even sure if Hopper is that player, but I'll take the word of others who rate him.

Did Hopper and Cameron get along when they were both at GWS?

Hoppers manager has to do due diligence and meet with clubs who express interest - otherwise he's not managing the best interests of his player. I would be surprised if he hasn't met with other clubs and we just don't know about it.

Also think this is a bit of a game being played out by Hardwick in the media. if they suspect he's not over the line (per Barrett's earlier comments) then why not throw a few hail mary's and give the player something to think about.

All I'm hearing still suggests he was a Geelong player a fair way out. And we won't hear anything from Geelong while they're still alive in the finals.

Geez if Hopper stands us up again, he will be enemy #1 to me... Even though I don't truly rate him (on this year's form).

Kinda clinging onto the hope he would find his best form with a good preseason under his belt... But still is a very inside player without much outside game or speed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he meant Taranto.

Will GWS match? The timing is really weird for them.

Do they let Taranto go and try and get a end of first round draft pick compensation? And then trade hopper out and get our near end of first round draft pick?

Or match Taranto and then make Richmond trade their mid first round pick? Then they can maybe keep taranto knowing they’ll trade hopper out and have the salary cap space. Or Richmond pay up and then they can keep hopper. Or if both go, then their draft picks end up better.

I feel we need quick small backs at least one good one.
Connor McKenna who we're into would fit that bill perfectly
My very happy place would be
Grundy
Hopper/Dunkley
McKenna
A quality ruck
A good inside mid
A line breaking defender
If no mid I'd love to have a crack at Logue for tall defending swingman role to share swinging with Henry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back