Harry & Ben McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

Next year will give a better idea. As the McKay boys have a late December birthday. Should nearly be in this years draft.

Next year will give a better idea. As the McKay boys have a late December birthday. Should nearly be in this years draft.

Both will get games. Both are very big boys and will be able to hold key position spots

They aren't guaranteed to hold down key position spots.

Who's going to hold Harry McKay back at Carlton playing at Key Forward role?

Ben McKay has abit of competition but will depend on fitness of Waite and Petrie and if Durdin is ahead of him and if Majak is at NMFC next year

Ben McKay averages similar numbers to Weiderman in the VFL, so I imagine he will.

Both will get games. Both are very big boys and will be able to hold key position spots

A year in the VFL won't hurt both boys. If anything, probably better for them. Can see Harry playing before Ben. Carlton may want to get games into Harry next year. Can't see North pushing games into Ben yet. As we have Durdin as well.

A year in the VFL won't hurt both boys. If anything, probably better for them. Can see Harry playing before Ben. Carlton may want to get games into Harry next year. Can't see North pushing games into Ben yet. As we have Durdin as well.

Think Blues won't play Harry this year, slim chance rd 23
Ben I have confidence next year breaks into Norths senior team

You do realise the rules on restricted free agents?
Blues would demand a first round pick pref 10-12 for Harry and NMFC would demand a second round considering was taken 21 in the draft

But neither will go to Bombers. If anything Blues and NMFC will try get the other brother on their lists
You understand how development works, right.

If we have Ben Mckay for two years, then someone puts an offer up for him, we wouldn't take a second round pick, because then we'd have to start all over.

Who's going to hold Harry McKay back at Carlton playing at Key Forward role?

Ben McKay has abit of competition but will depend on fitness of Waite and Petrie and if Durdin is ahead of him and if Majak is at NMFC next year
Why wouldn't he be?

They will 100%
Harry would have debuted by now but has had back injury
I thought Aaron Black would have a permanent spot a FF/ CHF/ HFF by now, buuuuut.

Think Blues won't play Harry this year, slim chance rd 23
Ben I have confidence next year breaks into Norths senior team
Maaaaaaaate.

He'd have to get into the top three of Petrie/ Waite (If Petrie retires, Waite won't and vice versa), Black, Majak, Durdin, Brown and Wood.

He'll have another year or two in the VFL, at best play one or two in that time.

You seem to think you know a lot about North Melbourne.
You don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry injured again today in the VFL. Hip apparently. Hip and back issues not good for young developing talls.

On a side note, Weid looks good in his first AFL game.

Today puts a stamp on it, no matter how you try and spin it Weideman is miles ahead of both McKay brothers. Just played a signifiant role in the victory against Hawthorn, kicking 2 without any support from Hogan.

Yes but how did his twin go?

Harry injured again today in the VFL. Hip apparently. Hip and back issues not good for young developing talls.

On a side note, Weid looks good in his first AFL game.

What happened to Harry's hip?
I haven't seen it on Northern Blues page. Mentions on Blues board he went off early but not much else

Today puts a stamp on it, no matter how you try and spin it Weideman is miles ahead of both McKay brothers. Just played a signifiant role in the victory against Hawthorn, kicking 2 without any support from Hogan.

Interesting comment. Keep in mind that Jesse Hogan had an injury interrupted first year and his second year won the Rising star. Not saying they will win the award next year but they can come in an make a difference to their teams. Impressive debut to Weidemans career but we can't get carried away from 1 game of course

You understand how development works, right.

If we have Ben Mckay for two years, then someone puts an offer up for him, we wouldn't take a second round pick, because then we'd have to start all over.

Why wouldn't he be?

I thought Aaron Black would have a permanent spot a FF/ CHF/ HFF by now, buuuuut.

Maaaaaaaate.

He'd have to get into the top three of Petrie/ Waite (If Petrie retires, Waite won't and vice versa), Black, Majak, Durdin, Brown and Wood.

He'll have another year or two in the VFL, at best play one or two in that time.

You seem to think you know a lot about North Melbourne.
You don't.

I'm just saying I think he has good chance to play senior football next year. His versitle and many senior players at NMFC will move on over next few seasons you would think

Interesting comment. Keep in mind that Jesse Hogan had an injury interrupted first year and his second year won the Rising star. Not saying they will win the award next year but they can come in an make a difference to their teams. Impressive debut to Weidemans career but we can't get carried away from 1 game of course
I think that Weid's one AFL game shows more promise than Harry's one good VFL game.
Hope Harry makes it, but he seems pretty injury prone. Hip/Back injuries are dehabilitating for talls.
I always saw him as an upgrade on a Vickery type in juniors. Not quite a forward, not quite a ruck, but he has a good attitude so could potentially be a solid 22 player.

Reckon Weid as the pure forward has the better future.

For starters it's not from one game, his efforts in the VFL have been fantastic, hence the call up. Secondly, maybe you should try taking your own advice given you started this thread on the back of three games from Harry.

I think that Weid's one AFL game shows more promise than Harry's one good VFL game.
Hope Harry makes it, but he seems pretty injury prone. Hip/Back injuries are dehabilitating for talls.
I always saw him as an upgrade on a Vickery type in juniors. Not quite a forward, not quite a ruck, but he has a good attitude so could potentially be a solid 22 player.

I really do wish that Harry gets over his injuries and starts preseason 100%
Was reading a while back that comparisons that Harry was given as a junior was to
Drew Petrie
http://www.boundforglorynews.com.au/2015-draft-profile-harry-mckay/

Twin Brother Ben is given comparison to Cale Hooker
http://www.boundforglorynews.com.au/2015-draft-profile-ben-mckay/

So kinda have reservations to the comparison to Vickery, but you might have seen few of his junior games which is fair enough as I have only seen few highlights and read many articles on him but will trust Stephen Silvagnis judgement. Harry has had a year from hell with injuries, with his back keeping him out for 12 weeks and now hip injury which will keep him out for rest of season. I think if he has a good preseason I can't see any reason why wont be in best 22. From what I've seen I see Harry as a forward that has a hit in the ruck similar to Justin koschitzke role for Stk, I think his a better player than brother Ben as was a higher draft pick and plays more of a key role as I see Ben as a swing man but think will eventually settle forward but as second or third target that will be solid target still due to his size. Both relatively young born in December

Last edited:

Not making any comparison in terms of abikity.

But hogan went through the exact same issues with his back as a 17/18 yo in the VFL

Harry being so young is similar to hogan in that he was a 17 yo pick.

Give him time to adjust and grow into his body.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back