Traded Jack Higgins [Traded to St Kilda with #21 and a Future 4th Round Pick for #17 and a Future 2nd Round Pick]

Who won this trade?

• Richmond

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

first round pick or fu** off and wait until next year
That would be totally fine by me.

We need to keep this year's first rounder so that we're able to either trade that, or next year's first, for a "big fish", and it's not worth losing that ability to get a "non big fish", like Jack. As much as he would be nice to get.

Butler had a similar season to Jake aarts.

Not that impressive.

Imagine coping this hard.

Jack Lonie had a better season than Aarts.

Fringe player in a team that has won three premierships in the last four years. I hope St Kilda walks away. I sincerely hope they do.
"Fringe player in a premiership team" - If that has any meaning in relation to trade value (which it doesn't) then its a straight swap - Savage for Higgins.

Higgins is No fringe player.
A young up and comer who has played plenty of senior games in a team that has won 3 premierships in 4 years.
Wanted by the club and will be coming into his own in the next 2 years as a mid/fwd.
Good relationship between clubs and will continue with the Saints first round pick, even though it will end up at about pick 20.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not a fringe player but yet couldn't get a game for most of the 2nd half of the season with Aarts, Castagna and Rioli all getting selected before him. Sounds like the perfect definition of a fringe player to me.

The thing about wanting our first rounder for Higgins means you'd want a Top 10 for Aarts, Castagna or Rioli. Now nobody would seriously suggest that!!!

Feeling generous - mid 2nd round equivalent.

Dont know why he would not back himself to force his way into our senior side and Im not sure why he would be told that his chances for senior football would be limited by the club.

He was aways up against it this year with recovery from a huge health scare and COVID. With another pre season Im sure he can get a game with us

Blokes like Castagna and Rioli could drop away in form due to lack of hunger and even in premiership years we have that crappy month somewhere in the year where we need to drop blokes.

Love his enthusiasm. We need that next year with blokes like him who have not yet proved what they want to prove.

In short, STAY Higgo.
This
If it was me at the Tigers, I would be getting into his ear about extending his contract to end of 2023
Give him security at a powerful club in contention - chance to back himself in to get back into the 22 and stay there....

This
If it was me at the Tigers, I would be getting into his ear about extending his contract to end of 2023
Give him security at a powerful club in contention - chance to back himself in to get back into the 22 and stay there....

that boat has sailed. The deal will get done.

I imagine most Saints fans would think Higgins is likely to be a better player than your first pick this year. Draft is always a lottery, this year more than most you could say.

Not the point, We have to use our first in the draft this year, otherwise we can't trade next years and we have someone (don't know who, maybe Ben King) lined up to trade next trade period.

1st rounder is fair value, however it seems the decision not to want use it is based on future draft management decisions.

Correct on future considerations. However a player who is not in best 26 with a shaky body of work over the past two years regardless of the issue isn't a first rounder. His value has diminished

I guess the Saints need to decide what is more important right now.

Nah, the deal will get done. Higgins wants out, and the Saints and Richmond deal fairly. Something will be worked out. We need a first rounder. Swap of firsts and a second will get it done.

Shame you dont have any players that we could use that you'd be fine with losing.

I am not sure this trade happens tbh

We are a first up finals team, got showed up pretty easily by Richmond in the finals we played. A consequence of being dominant and winning 3 out of four flags is that due to your great depth, players you would prefer to keep, leaves for more opportunities. A nice problem to have.

Saints don't have that type of depth so you are correct, we can't entertain a player swap.

And I am sure you are correct that the deal gets done. There will be supporters on both sides whinging about the deal being too much, too little etc, but Richmond don't deal like Dodoro, looking to "win" trade period. One of the reasons Richmond is the only one of the big four Vic clubs to be so strong is its priorities. Not publicity and chest beating about being such a great organisation, but actually winning flags.

Not the point, We have to use our first in the draft this year, otherwise we can't trade next years and we have someone (don't know who, maybe Ben King) lined up to trade next trade period.

Correct on future considerations. However a player who is not in best 26 with a shaky body of work over the past two years regardless of the issue isn't a first rounder. His value has diminished

Nah, the deal will get done. Higgins wants out, and the Saints and Richmond deal fairly. Something will be worked out. We need a first rounder. Swap of firsts and a second will get it done.

We are a first up finals team, got showed up pretty easily by Richmond in the finals we played. A consequence of being dominant and winning 3 out of four flags is that due to your great depth, players you would prefer to keep, leaves for more opportunities. A nice problem to have.

Saints don't have that type of depth so you are correct, we can't entertain a player swap.

And I am sure you are correct that the deal gets done. There will be supporters on both sides whinging about the deal being too much, too little etc, but Richmond don't deal like Dodoro, looking to "win" trade period. One of the reasons Richmond is the only one of the big four Vic clubs to be so strong is its priorities. Not publicity and chest beating about being such a great organisation, but actually winning flags.

Have to agree to disagree here on a few points mate, but appreciate the measured response.

One thing I do agree on, both teams supporters will have a whinge haha

Saints fans seem to have a problem understanding that Jack was injured with a calf injury for much of the back end of the season hence why he couldn't get back into the side. He's absolutely in our Best 26.

Seems to be ok when trying to value Dunstan (on the Dunstan thread) who has played once this season yet when its a player they are after can't seem to contemplate.

Bit of balance please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Fringe player in a premiership team" - If that has any meaning in relation to trade value (which it doesn't) then its a straight swap - Savage for Higgins.

Well you see that would be a reasonable point of difference if it weren't for one thing. He is contracted. And owning that contract means that it does have meaning in relation to trade value if we say it does. Your club might not like it or even agree with it, but it's a reality St Kilda has to deal with if it's serious about getting Higgins to your club. More so as we don't actually want to let him go.

Or to put it another way as reigning double premiers we believe our fringe players are better and worth more on the trade table than a lot of your best 22 Which again would be simply a matter of opinion if it wasn't for that pesky contract thing. That said I hope St Kilda sticks to it's guns and continues to try to low ball us, because short of the saints offering us a deal to good to refuse (which your posters all seem pretty adamant is not going to happen) most of us are very happy for him to stay.

Seems to be ok when trying to value Dunstan (on the Dunstan thread) who has played once this season yet when its a player they are after can't seem to contemplate.
What are people asking for former 18th pick Luke Dunstan?

Imagine coping this hard.

Jack Lonie had a better season than Aarts.

Coping?

Butler had a similar season statistically to butler.

Probably worse work rate and defenesive efforts going by the eye tests.

Higgins is a third year player. That's an obvious difference. He's played about as many games as battle and long.

The not best 22 line is a bit dumb cause is recovering from brain injury..

Perhaps - pity if so - so what will Tigers get?

We’ll play. Jack Steele thanks.

We’ll play. Jack Steele thanks.

Billings and a 2nd

Win-win

The big they were taken is partly irrelevant once you have a balance of work to review.

Dunstan is almost 26, played 104 games as is a relatively limited footballer. He doesn't suit a fast game plan at all, hence why he isn't playing for the Saints. We've all seen it as you know other supporters do go and watch footy matches. He moves the ball slowly, he's a very average kick and his footy smarts is low, theres not a lot there, as I say limited.

Higgins has played a high proportion of games where he was available for selection for the Tiges. He has terrific footy smarts, in his 1st season he was playing on instinct, seemed to go a bit into his shell a bit more since then, but on instinct he is terrific and thats the player that everyone saw in his 1st year. He's not overly quick by foot but thats where the footy smarts come in.

I've seen Saints fans touting an end of 2nd rounder for Dunstan, same as whats been offered for Higgins. Thats insulting personally. Assumes others don't watch other clubs.

The big they were taken is partly irrelevant once you have a balance of work to review.

Dunstan is almost 26, played 104 games as is a relatively limited footballer. He doesn't suit a fast game plan at all, hence why he isn't playing for the Saints. We've all seen it as you know other supporters do go and watch footy matches. He moves the ball slowly, he's a very average kick and his footy smarts is low, theres not a lot there, as I say limited.

Higgins has played a high proportion of games where he was available for selection for the Tiges. He has terrific footy smarts, in his 1st season he was playing on instinct, seemed to go a bit into his shell a bit more since then, but on instinct he is terrific and thats the player that everyone saw in his 1st year. He's not overly quick by foot but thats where the footy smarts come in.

I've seen Saints fans touting an end of 2nd rounder for Dunstan, same as whats been offered for Higgins. Thats insulting personally. Assumes others don't watch other clubs.

Derisory and Insulting

Back