Traded Jack Watts [traded to Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

If Dees r paying salary that's a bonus (helps us pay Lobbe). Pick 31 is pretty fair.

Considering we had Jacko playing forward, which didn't work, this is an upgrade. This now makes Westy/young Marshall/or Billy F - our third tall option, or perhaps we play smaller - Neade or Johnson...

As of Port big man tradition - Watts has 4 months to grow a huge, big fat beard.

FYI- "if your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got RCD"

Looks like I get bragging rights on this one drama5 (just!)

Time to eat your humble pie :D

Hahaha i was searching for your message to tag you and apologise haha

I will eat my humble pie and admit i was wrong!! (But i do think pick 31 is a steal)

Now i hope jack rips it up for power!

But well done mate and now i have to hope my call on weller for pick 22 plus matera is correct or i will be eating two humble pies

In the end a good deal for Port. However realistically we wouldn't have expected much or anymore than 25. Unfortunately for Melbourne Port the only club willing to cough up. Geelong were keen but apparently wanted to flip us a pick in the 50s.
We pay a part of Watts salary. Big deal this happens all the time. Especially when the club is offloading a player. It's not like we're going to be paying his whole salary.
There are obviously some issues with Watts. Mahoney alluding to some preparation issues but said it was mainly that after 9 years he hasn't performed tomthe expected level. I think reading between the lines of the recent Jones Goodwin and Mahoney interviews they expect more from him outside of performances for a 9 year player. Probably not setting the example.
In terms of team structure we have brought Lever in and will likely play Tmac forward with Hogan and possibly Weideman/Pedersen. Or we'll go more mobile with Vandenberg or Tim Smith as options who provide pressure.
Anyway sad to see Watts go as he was a fan favourite over the years. But I'll back the footy department.

Lovely sentiment - you keep believing that. I'm sure your unicorn wish will come true

While it's not ideal to be paying part of a contract for a player you've traded, it's not really uncommon. I'd still like to know the amount we're paying though.
I think the normal thing though is if you agree to pay a part of the contract, you get some overs (us with GWS & Deledio, getting a 1st)
You guys getting 31 and paying is a bit stiff.

And yes, agree, would like to know what you are paying. I'm sure it will emerge.

I think the normal thing though is if you agree to pay a part of the contract, you get some overs (us with GWS & Deledio, getting a 1st)
You guys getting 31 and paying is a bit stiff.

And yes, agree, would like to know what you are paying. I'm sure it will emerge.
Yep the amount is key. If we're footing 3/4 of the contract that would be crazy. But there are factors to consider.
- Port have now recruited 3 fairly high payed players
- Port may be paying some of Lobbe contract
- Melbourne free up some space still. Will help in next couple years when re signing others. Or recruiting.

As I said it's not ideal. But what could we get from Port? That's the best they could realistically offer.

I think just about every club is paying for at least one opposition player or at least has done in the last couple of years. I don't see it as a big deal. Melbourne would still be freeing up a fair portion of his salary.

A good pickup for Port, I thought they might need a higher pick but it is probably about right.

Hopefully it's only incentives that we would pay...

Knowing how this trade period has gone down for us we're probably paying half his contract and then we're gonna trade our first rounder next year to get Jimmy Toumpas back

You don't have a first rounder next year. But you can have toump back anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Viney wants to join his best mates Wines, Watts and Toumpas. We'll have cap space as soon as Lobbe is off our books ;)
maybe try get dangerfield back to adelaide as well and i think pav is also looking to come home to sa too. enjoy the melbourne "hard" men. that said if you have trengove another life in the AFL I think most people would love to see him play on

Pick 21, 31, 41, or 51, the club and leadership group wanted him out.

The average Dees supporter loves him, but his inconsistent and low intensity style ran out of credits.

Clayton Oliver was challenged to be great. He was challenged to be the best version of himself. He won the B&F in his second year and played most of the season as a teenager. According to Viney, Oliver became the hardest trainer at the club. Contrary to this, Watts has been a half dedicated footballer and never come close to fulfilling his natural talent. He was never interested in being great.

It's not too late for him, but it was time to go. As Barassi said years ago, "get the non-professional losers and those there for a joke or good time out of your club".

Feel a bit sorry for the bloke, not a star but plays his role and was the best user of the ball in that Melbourne side.
Has been a scapegoat from day 1 at the club and whilst he does sometimes appear a little soft I think he has been serviceable. Maybe if his team mates had shown a bit of ticker and went in and flew the flag instead of letting the kid get belted from pillar to post early on he would of turned out a different player. Think Melbourne handled it poorly but they obviously know more than us on the outside.

The fact that only a few clubs showed any interest in Watts and was only going to cost a team a 2nd round pick says it all really.
Sydney, Port, Collingwood, Geelong. The same amount of clubs that serioisly chased martin and kelly. That point holds no weight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back