Traded Mitch McGovern [traded to Carlton in a three-way trade involving Sydney and McAdam]

Remove this Banner Ad

Your 2019 1st rounder could still potentially be a pick 1. In itself it would have pretty good currency and i would do that trade because as much as i wouldn't want to lose mcgovern, having possibly pick 1 next year opens real doors or it could be used to upgrade iur 20q8 picks in further trading. Lots of possible scenarios can be thrown around as i am sure all list managers would do

Yeah, I'd say we still wouldn't do a straight trade there. We'd want something coming back. We know we're not playing finals next year.

You would still have #1 and the Lynch compo though. The Eagles first rounder will be a late one.

Likely you go to the draft with #1 and #5. That's impressive.
Why not 4,5 or 5,6 . No 1 look good on paper but having two pick consecutively also not that bad .Why spend energy on getting no 1 , GCS need to rebuild not bragging about getting No 1 pick .

I'd say it would do it. #1 for #4, #17ish or #4 and a player. Sort of a Melbourne/GWS deal for Tyson. This really depends on our confidence in McKay and if we really want a balanced midfielder at the top end of the draft. I want that but SOS does love his talls.

Potentially our 2019 1st rounder could come into any McGovern talks but I just don't see the Crows allowing him to break his contract for a future pick.
Yeah like I said unless the deal involves Lukosius, I don't see McGovern being given up, especially under the current circumstances with players already seemingly wanting out. The trade department would also want to make a big splash to soften the blow of yet another player wanting out, and we can afford to do that with McGovern, unlike with the OOC Sloane and Lynch.

I wouldn't do that, but each to their own. If your recruiters feel like you could get a Smith type with pick 4 (which is absolutely possible), then yeah. Teams trading away top picks have come to better deals in the past, though

Rankine will be an interesting pick. Seems to be considerable evidence he has a few issues with discipline. As well is very close to his family and friends, with many now suspecting he will be a flight risk

Agreed. Someone will take a chance on him though. They won't let Adelaide nab another slider based on flight risk rumours surely.

Smith or Walsh would suit our needs far better IMO.

Why not 4,5 or 5,6 . No 1 look good on paper but having two pick consecutively also not that bad .

It depends on how they rate Lukosius. He is the standout generational player at the moment. If you lose Lynch, you may be tempted. Others say you may chase the King twins but two players around that 201cm mark when you have Wright to fit into your side as well ... seems unlikely. Lukosius and one of the top rated mids seems a nice balance.

Agreed. Someone will take a chance on him though. They won't let Adelaide nab another slider based on flight risk rumours surely.

Rankine wont have to slide that far. Pick 8 or 9 depending where the crows finish will be where he slides to imo as too much talent in the top ten this year to risk drafting a flight risk with discipline issues. Its not like teams that pass on rankine in the top 7 or 8 picks are not getting hugely talented players themselves

Happens many years though. Adelaide youngsters rated highly early in the season, only to be overtaken generally by Victorian talent by the end of the season. Looking at Adelaide's run home its easy to see them finishing 13th (pick 6). I'd expect Lokosius will be long gone by then.

Happens many years though. Adelaide youngsters rated highly early in the season, only to be overtaken generally by Victorian talent by the end of the season. Looking at Adelaide's run home its easy to see them finishing 13th (pick 6). I'd expect Lokosius will be long gone by then.

I think we were talking about Rankine as a slider there.

Even if GC gets Lynch compo, I reckon it's very possible he slides. The free kick against issue + his lack of production compared to other prospects will hurt him

It depends on how they rate Lukosius. He is the standout generational player at the moment. If you lose Lynch, you may be tempted. Others say you may chase the King twins but two players around that 201cm mark when you have Wright to fit into your side as well ... seems unlikely. Lukosius and one of the top rated mids seems a nice balance.
If you stand at GCS point of view , the big hole will be midfield , if they can play third tall in forward line the better , look how GC midfield slice it open by St Kilda last week .

Adelaide will demand pick 1 from Carlton. Gov is contracted for another 2 years so Adelaide hold the whip.

There is a possibility that SOS is playing games with Reid. Approach a player with years left on a contract ... I know Carlton weren't happy with how it went down. Do we really want Mitch?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a possibility that SOS is playing games with Reid. Approach a player with years left on a contract ... I know Carlton weren't happy with how it went down. Do we really want Mitch?
I don't understand the point if you don't want him?

If this is SOS' 'revenge' for Gibbs, it's a bit petty, but whatever he wants to do, I guess

lol SOS wouldn't **** a player manager around like that.

I think he feels Reid ****ed him around in the 2016 trade period. Just an amusing thought. It would probably be McGovern he wouldn't * with like that.

Surely the revenge is done as soon as the trade was completed, with most people thinking they got overs anyway.
Trade was probably pretty fair given the circumstances at the time. Hopefully we can become good enough so that we can give Gibbs a contending team in the last few years of his career. That's the benefit of him, he's durable so he'll be around for a while

Kangaroos would be the one. With Brown guaranteed to take the best forward every week, this would allow McGovern to excel. With their age profile a developing 24 year old would be perfect compared to another 18 year old tall who would take years to develop, especially with Waite’s retirement not far off and most thinking they’ve over achieved this year and could easily regress next year, McGovern would be ideal.

We have a REAL good prospect in the VFL putting on weight, and Brown won't turn 26 until November.

No knock on McGovern, but I just can't see him being a priority unless we strike out on a midfielder.

He averages as many goals per game as your no 1 key forward dixon over his career.

Dixon started as a teenager at an expansion club that was getting belted by 100 points every week, McGovern started at 21 for a team that’s finished 5th and 2nd. Hardly a fair comparison.

But Dixon is a forward and that is it - McGovern can play at both ends of the ground as he has proven this year on numerous occasions.

Dixon played as our number 1 ruck for over a month this year. But I suppose that’s not as valuable as McGovern occasionally being able to play as a loose man in defence?

But anyway, while we’re picking out selective stats to suit our argument, Sam Gray is averaging as many goals as McGovern this year. Can’t wait to to get a top 10 pick for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone thinking SOS would pay pick 1 for a guy who's kicks 60 odd goals from 40 odd games playing usually on the second or third best defender is dreaming.

Adelaide would have to add at least 2 of their first round draft picks for us to consider it.

Dixon started as a teenager at an expansion club that was getting belted by 100 points every week, McGovern started at 21 for a team that’s finished 5th and 2nd. Hardly a fair comparison.

Dixon played as our number 1 ruck for over a month this year you bellend. But I suppose that’s not as valuable as McGovern occasionally being able to play as a loose man in defence?

But anyway, while we’re picking out selective stats to suit our argument, Sam Gray is averaging as many goals as McGovern this year. Can’t wait to to get a top 10 pick for him.
Jenkins kicks more goals than Dixon.

Dixon played as our number 1 ruck for over a month this year you bellend. But I suppose that’s not as valuable as McGovern occasionally being able to play as a loose man in defence?

Dixon played in ruck..whoopy do. Andy Otten plays in ruck. Josh Jenkins plays in Ruck..even Cam Ellis Yolman has filled in in ruck this year. McGovern has proven he CAN play at both ends of the ground and not just as a lose man and not just as a 4th forward. If Dixon is worth pick 10 and a second round pick...well, a versatile and contracted McGovern is worth at least that. Oh and as for the bell end comments - mind your language or the mods will blank you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back