Most dishonest players in the comp? Your top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

The umpire is penalising the tackler for abject stupidity. If this has been happening for 10 years wouldn’t you think the tackler might have learned?

It's not always the same tackler.

But more seriously, it is hard to see how the tackler can avoid it. Sorry I cannot tell you where in the game but there is one really exposed example in the Saints vs Cats game. Selwood takes the ball from the centre bounce and is running toward the far wing, so the shot is from behind. A saints player tackles him with both arms around about bicep height. Selwood lifts his right arm and rolls his shoulder at the same time. He actually ducks into the tackle but the movement he makes - it seems like the tackle brings his head down.

It is hard to see how the tackler can avoid his arm going up because that is where Selwood forces it to go. Unless you let go or don't tackle in the first place it is going high.

I think umpires should treat this the same way they treat ducking.

To me I think there is a big distinction between someone hamming it up and someone who is actively playing for a free kick.

to give a league example, obstruction plays.

paul Gallen - noted cheat and grub - was colossal for this.

if a decoy runner ran through the line anywhere near Gallen, rather than try and get around that runner and make a play for the guy who actually had the ball, Gallen would deliberately run into the decoy and throw himself on the ground to draw a penalty.

that to me is the definition of staging.

On the other hand most players would actively try to get to the ball runner and tackle them and when a decoy got in their way or made contact, they would throw their arms up, exaggerate the contact, and appeal for a penalty.

that to me is not an issue - it’s a player saying ‘I made a legitimate effort to do my job, I was impeded illegally, I deserve a penalty and wanted to make sure the infringement was seen.’

I don’t really have a problem with the latter.

Shuey just does it better because it’s a trained skill at West Coast. My old mate Ash Hams taught him well.

I never thought I’d see the day where I agree with you but you are correct about Walters. It’s a shame as he is such a good player and doesn’t need to milk kicks.

Learnt at skills training sessions run by umpire Dean Margetts the best man at Dean Coxez wedding I herd.

Last edited:
Why are my fellow tigers getting defensive about grimes? I love the bloke but bloody oath he does it and baker loves throwing the head back too. Who cares Grimes is a gun and gets away with most of it just cop it on the chin

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I also don't think Papley took a dive against Collingwood unless they show a side on view of no contact. It's a natural reaction to flail your arms around when pushed off balance in the air.

Ha ha...watch it again. There is a side on view. It isn't (just) the arms. The contact is minor at best and his propulsion is significantly exaggerated (and mistimed!). Not only that, but he also gets his legs involved after the fact - have a look at the funny kick thing he does in an effort to play it up even more. There is no way that leg thing is purely natural reaction.

Puopolo made a career out of ducking. How Selwood can cop so much yet this cheat doesn’t get a mention is beyond me. An absolute cheat this bloke is.

I think there are 2-3 main reasons (for the difference in attitude)...

1. Frequency. Selwood is coming up to 800 free kicks awarded to him. He has been paid several hundred more free kicks than any other current day player. In fact, the gap between Selwood and the next highest player is not that far off Puopolo's entire career free kick tally. Obviously a big reason for that is Selwood gets much more of the ball, etc.
2. A number of Puopolo's high frees come because he is a midget. He is much shorter than basically all the guys that are tackling him and some high frees come without him needing to do anything. Selwood is over 6ft and a regular sized man - nearly all of his high contact has required 'assistance'. That's not say Puop doesn't 'get extra low by dropping his knees' - he does but not all of his high frees come that way

if Puopolo wasn’t dog sh*t as a footballer he would have gotten more attention

Three (3) premiership medals is a pretty good effort for a 'Dog poo' footballer - how many has Dangerflop won again..?

Why are my fellow tigers getting defensive about grimes? I love the bloke but bloody oath he does it and baker loves throwing the head back too. Who cares Grimes is a gun and gets away with most of it just cop it on the chin

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Reckon grimes has put it away mostly, but he certainly studied Selwood's arm lift technique a couple of seasons back. He goes pretty hard at contests so it is a minor flaw. Ump's are generally aware of it with Selwood now and he either doesn't do it as much or he isn't getting the free's for it he once did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's kind of sad it's come to this point but all the Walters mentions in here are warranted. When Walters began playing predominantly in the midfield, he was reading the play and his opponent to win the ball with his movement and was always clearing through his evasion.

Now, he's just lazy in every contest. Everytime he's under pressure from a tackler, he ducks his head or throws it back. If he gets tackled, he plops himself forward trying to exaggerate and in the back. This is so ******* annoying to watch, especially since there has been dozens of examples this season alone where he could have just funnelled the ball out and kept it going forward or just held it up, but his acting costs us a turnover if not from that passage but the next one.

Walters is now in Lindsay Thomas territory, they know not to pay him frees now even if it's there. Kind of insane that no one at Fremantle has told him to stop being a stupid footballer and go back to your natural game.

Three (3) premiership medals is a pretty good effort for a 'Dog poo' footballer - how many has Dangerflop won again..?
Ooh they got to you pretty easily. Solid melt

Joel Selwood.

Has spent 10 years rolling his shoulders to forced players tackles high. Did it again last week. Even more baffling is how the AFL and umpires have allowed him to do it.
The thing that baffles me even more is that players haven't learnt how to tackle him properly. No one would ever say he stages, the free kick is always there even if his actions are what cause it. Just bizarre that you'd think being second to the ball and tackling someone incorrectly should be somehow rewarded.

Forwards who push in the back = Hawkins, Riewoltd, Lynch, Mumford (when forward) etc. Drive me crazy.

Selwood for the last 5 year hasn't even tried to beat his opponent, just milk. Before then he at least tried sometimes. Dangerflop. And Ablett who gets protected by the umps. I honestly think they coach it at the Cats.

Walters, Poppy, Papley, MTW, Gresham come to mind. I will say that for Poppy, Walters and MTW it doesn't work that often.

Ooh they got to you pretty easily. Solid melt

The thing that baffles me even more is that players haven't learnt how to tackle him properly. No one would ever say he stages, the free kick is always there even if his actions are what cause it. Just bizarre that you'd think being second to the ball and tackling someone incorrectly should be somehow rewarded.

It isn't 'incorrect' to tackle someone's arms. I've heard some people say, "well go for the hips then" but that doesn't work in our game as it allows the tackled player to get his arms free and effectively dispose of the ball. When players tackle Selwood around his arms (ie. correctly) he buckles at the knees to make it as high on the arm as possible and then lifts his arm skyward so the tackle is "over the shoulder". He has become so adept at the technique that even pretty perfect tackles can end up resulting in an adjudication of 'high'.

What annoyed me about Rance more than accusations of flopping was his late hits on forwards. He never would get suspended but he busted so many heads with his late awkward spoils that he never seemed to learn from and the AFL media never acknowledged.

They were not just ear massages, they were full on assaults to the face.

It isn't 'incorrect' to tackle someone's arms. I've heard some people say, "well go for the hips then" but that doesn't work in our game as it allows the tackled player to get his arms free and effectively dispose of the ball. When players tackle Selwood around his arms (ie. correctly) he buckles at the knees to make it as high on the arm as possible and then lifts his arm skyward so the tackle is "over the shoulder". He has become so adept at the technique that even pretty perfect tackles can end up resulting in an adjudication of 'high'.
He literally never buckles at the knees, he hardly ever goes to ground when tackled which makes it so devastating to the opposition as he almost always plays on. He lifts his arm. Poppy & McLean buckle at the knees.

A good tackler pins one arm and has an arm around the hips.

Forwards who push in the back = Hawkins, Riewoltd, Lynch, Mumford (when forward) etc. Drive me crazy.

Selwood for the last 5 year hasn't even tried to beat his opponent, just milk. Before then he at least tried sometimes. Dangerflop. And Ablett who gets protected by the umps. I honestly think they coach it at the Cats.

Walters, Poppy, Papley, MTW, Gresham come to mind. I will say that for Poppy, Walters and MTW it doesn't work that often.

Yeah that's a great point, Ablett who has won more ball than basically any player in the game's history, has a career ratio of 1.3 free kicks for, and 1.1 against, per game. A ratio that actually DROPS to basically 1:1 in his time at Geelong, and drops further to 45 for, 83 against, since he returned to the club. A clear sign that the umpires love looking after him.

No, very well researched, and certainly numbers that can turn a conspiracy theory into fact. Kudos.

Serious, does ANY C*** actually bother looking up anything anymore before they post this stuff?

Yeah that's a great point, Ablett who has won more ball than basically any player in the game's history, has a career ratio of 1.3 free kicks for, and 1.1 against, per game. A ratio that actually DROPS to basically 1:1 in his time at Geelong.

No, very well researched, and certainly numbers that can turn a conspiracy theory into fact. Kudos.

Ooooooohhhhh I'm biting my fingers from that burning correction.

Yeah that's a great point, Ablett who has won more ball than basically any player in the game's history, has a career ratio of 1.3 free kicks for, and 1.1 against, per game. A ratio that actually DROPS to basically 1:1 in his time at Geelong, and drops further to 45 for, 83 against, since he returned to the club. A clear sign that the umpires love looking after him.

Serious, does ANY C*** actually bother looking up anything anymore before they post this stuff?
Nope, people just get mad tilted at legendary players whilst ignoring their own backyard so they make stuff up to feel better about themselves.

I would love it if some these Geelong supporters who are constantly overwhelmed with criticism of their players milking free kicks on BF would turn their criticism towards their club to bring an end to that culture rather than trying in vain to defend the indefensible. Because the later is just stoically and stubbornly going down with the ship.

Nope, people just get mad tilted at legendary players whilst ignoring their own backyard so they make stuff up to feel better about themselves.

Out of Ablett, Danger and Selwood, I have mad respect for Ablett. He wins his own ball and doesn't play for frees. The umpires for some reason however often over protect him. It is not just me who says it = AFL players say it. It is something that great players often get.

I would love it if some these Geelong supporters who are constantly overwhelmed with criticism of their players milking free kicks on BF would turn their criticism towards their club to bring an end to that culture rather than trying in vain to defend the indefensible. Because the later is just stoically and stubbornly going down with the ship.

Mate it's not hard to actually google something.

If I came on here and said 'Harry Himmelberg is a way better player than Josh Kennedy and easily the better forward' do you not think at some point someone would point out that one has a heap of Coleman medals and averages 2-3 goals a game, the other barely scrapes up a goal every match he plays?

You want to use some stupid factless opinion to have a ping at the culture of another club, and one of your pieces of 'evidence' was fairly easily refuted, the answer is pretty clear - get better evidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back