Preview Rd14 - Carlton vs. Richmond - 3:20PM Sunday 25th June @ MCG - Final Team post #658

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
My usual Richmond preview time has come. Turns out the Tigers are on the brink of being the real deal. They've lost five games and excluding the Crows game they'd have been by a total of 15 points.

Nonetheless they're a very young side with energy and a core of elite seniors that can worry any side on their day (except in September). They've rejuvenated their squad with a mosquito fleet that is adding just about the competition's best forward pressure and showing that despite the lack of talent on paper for the likes of Castagna, Lambert etc - effort trumps all.

Our Blues aren't far behind in the pressure and effort stakes but we're still missing that top end elite talent and polish it seems. They took us to the cleaners in round 1 but we're a vastly different side from that day while I think the Tigers are about that level with more self belief.

Going to be a closer game than round 1 and like we showed against the Suns, our early form isn't indicative of how well we structure up now - though our fitness still worries me.

LAST TIME WE MET (R1 2017) TIGERS DEF BLUES 132-89

arsXsu3nnkJaDOHmrGzkP73RkTyW7j-l9Gnb2pFuJ-0

PREDICTED LINE UPS:

FB
Plowman, Jones, Weitering
HB
Docherty, Marchbank, Simpson
C
Murphy, Gibbs, Petrevski Seton
HF
Thomas, CCurnow, Wright
FF
Silvagni, Casboult, Lamb
R
Kreuzer, Cripps, ECurnow
IC
Fisher, Pickett, Cuningham, Williamson
EMG
Macreadie, Palmer, Graham

From last game
OUT:
Macreadie, Rowe, Armfield, Smedts, White, Pickett**
IN:
Williamson, Jones, Lamb, Fisher, Cuningham, Boekhorst**

FB
Grimes, Rance, McIntosh
HB
Ellis, Astbury, Houli
C
Edwards, Cotchin, Grigg
HF
Lambert, Lloyd, Caddy
FF
Rioli, Riewoldt, Bolton
R
Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
IC
Menadue, Castagna, Butler, Short
EMG
Chol, Miles, Lennon

PLAYERS TO WATCH:

Kreuzer v Nankervis: Pundits raved about Nank in rd1 but I thought Kreuzer won that battle. Ever since both lads have done wonderfully for their teams but I expect big Special K to come away with the chocolates.

Dustin Martin: No flank to flank torps pls, got 4 Brownlow votes in round 1

Casboult on Rance: Do we drop the momentum killer in Cas or trust he'll come good? He still presents well and it's not like Harry McKay was a dead eye in the VFL. Weitering did okay against him in round 1 but that luxury has been lost, or maybe with the sole tall in Jack Riewoldt we can swing Weiters fwd again.

Mosquito fleet defense vs business as usual: We've struggled the most against small fwds but do we fix a defense that isn't broken? Doc and Simmo might create more goals than we give up.

Tip, closer than round 1 - Tigers by 23

Last edited:

I know this is obvious but quelling Martyn is the key.
He always reams us.
Not sure we have a match up for him especially around goal.
He looms as the difference. And hate to say it but they'll be smarting after today's loss.
But hey we are doing well.

Only change I'd make is Pickett for Daisy if suspended.

Also just quietly worried about their 1 tall forward with our 4 tall defenders
Daisy ain't gonna be suspended. Accidental shoulder v Saad chin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only change I'd make is Pickett for Daisy if suspended.

Also just quietly worried about their 1 tall forward with our 4 tall defenders

If our midfield applies proper defensive pressure like they've been doing, they might need to worry about that same fact with our talls dominating the aerial contests.

In round 1 we were clearly below our best...plenty of guys weren't playing well or coming off injury eg Cripps and E Curnow were pretty ineffectual.
Richmond's run killed us.

Plus with so many personnel changes it was always going to be hard to gel in the first game.

But we are playing so much better now, with players in good form, we're running out games and the team line up looks a lot better than round 1.

Wow thats low. Perhaps he copped a knock at some point...?

Longest he spent on the bench was 7-10 minutes.

He seemed to just be left there for several minutes at a time as Bolton preferred other players.

Used the ball well when he had it, but was just coasting around at times and lost his man on a few crucial occasions.

Longest he spent on the bench was 7-10 minutes.

He seemed to just be left there for several minutes at a time as Bolton preferred other players.

Used the ball well when he had it, but was just coasting around at times and lost his man on a few crucial occasions.
If he goes out you'd guess White would come in after being named our best in the VFL. Not sure I like that team balance.

If he goes out you'd guess White would come in after being named our best in the VFL. Not sure I like that team balance.

Not against Richmond, White would serve no purpose.

I don't think he'll be omitted. Seems like it was just a case of Williamson having an off day and the coach restricting his minutes because of it, due to the tight nature of the game.

Fisher had a lean few weeks with pretty low game-time prior to the bye but retained his spot.

Would be nice to give them a good old fashioned flogging. Would happily settle for a close win, preferably right on the siren.

Should be a cracker of a game. Richmond have come back to the pack a bit and if we can get the game on our terms (like we did against the gws and gc bar the 3rd term) then we are a big chance.

Maybe rest willo and bring back mccreadie?

To me the result rest on our ability to quell martin. He dominated us rnd 1 and was the difference. Not sure who plays on him but stop him and we win i reckon.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back