Banter RDT 154 - No Dogs Allowed

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyundai appear to have ditched the A-League naming rights

Could this be the beginning of the end for this joke of a league?

"Soccer is the sleeping giant of Australian sport"
"Will be bigger than AFL and the NRL, just you wait"

Famous last words from the soccer die hards

"Soccer is the sleeping giant of Australian sport"
"Will be bigger than AFL and the NRL, just you wait"

Famous last words from the soccer die hards
That’s the thing - in the hands of a competent governing body, they’d be right. The FFA is anything but competent.

That’s the thing - in the hands of a competent governing body, they’d be right. The FFA is anything but competent.

Could it though? AFL and NRL are both ingrained in the Australian culture
It's as optimistic as Soccer taking over from the NFL in the US.
The native football codes are just too dug in for another one to take over IMO

The support for soccer is there at grass roots level in Australia, it’s the most popular sport for kids by some margin.

The interest dies off somewhere along the line, likely due to the lack of professionalism in the code at a senior level. The A-League has been a farce for many years now, and I don’t doubt kids get turned away from the sport due to the lack of professionalism.

I could be wrong, and as for the US I can’t really comment as I know SFA about their sporting landscape

I’m in no way a soccer fan so this could rightfully be dismissed as an uninformed opinion but the problem for an Australian soccer league is not the pinnacle for that sport the way that certainly AFL is and to an extent the NRL

Any fans it generates will ultimately be drawn to the premier league as that is the highest level of the sport

The NSL is not only competing with the native football codes but with other soccer competitions around the world that are of a far higher standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m in no way a soccer fan so this could rightfully be dismissed as an uninformed opinion but the problem for an Australian soccer league is not the pinnacle for that sport the way that certainly AFL is and to an extent the NRL

Any fans it generates will ultimately be drawn to the premier league as that is the highest level of the sport

The NSL is not only competing with the native football codes but with other soccer competitions around the world that are of a far higher standard.
This is an excellent point that I’d never even considered

The Witches, by Roald Dahl.

Technically, my wife read it to my kids on the road trip to Coral Bay and back. Engaging, dark, tender, and full of wide-eyed childish wonder.

Edit: Not recommending you actually read it. But it's a beloved kids' classic.
I think I read that in school, can't remember a thing about it though

Anyone read any good books lately?

Yes, think I was banging on about it earlier in this thread, I read No Country for Old Men this week for the third time.

Also read the Mr Mercedes trilogy by Stephen King which was decent. The first 2 are unlike his other stuff in that they're proper detective novels, the third then dips back into his usual stuff. They then both flow on to another 2 books with the same characters after that also which is a supernaturally themed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back