Banter RDT CLXXXIV - BigSpeakerbox

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will go on record and say I'm not a big fan of the concept of Spotify.

Streaming TV shows I understand - at most you'll watch a show 2-3 times, beyond that you're a super fan which I am about a few shows.

Music albums are different, you'll listen to them 1000 times over. Owning the physical copy allows you to dust of old memories when chucking them on and you own it forever. There's a paranoid part of me that sees Spotify collapsing in the future and I lose access to the music I stopped buying - and that's doubly bad with the players for CDs etc ceasing to exist.

I also remember buying new albums and being excited at the inserts and covers, probably not so much applicable as I'm an old man now but I feel like it's a thing kids are missing out on these days with CDs still being released, but players not being around as much anymore.

The ease of access and being able to make playlists is *en great though. And I assume for fledgling artists like Keys's son it's a great way to get your music worldwide without needing a record deal to produce physical copies.

Bit of an old man rant but yeah.

It's kinda funny to think that our "perfect sound, forever" CD's will end up in landfill because the laser players will all eventually fail where the LP will be living on quite happily.

I like my physical media but Spotify is very convenient and I definitely listen to a much broader cross section of music than my wallet would ever allow if I had to purchase physical media. I do miss the "event" of someone getting a new album when they were $30/pop and you would all go and sit around the stereo to have a listen, especially to the songs that weren't ever played on the radio! Finding those late album gems that turned into your favourite tracks was actually a bit special IMHO.

It's kinda funny to think that our "perfect sound, forever" CD's will end up in landfill because the laser players will all eventually fail where the LP will be living on quite happily.

I like my physical media but Spotify is very convenient and I definitely listen to a much broader cross section of music than my wallet would ever allow if I had to purchase physical media. I do miss the "event" of someone getting a new album when they were $30/pop and you would all go and sit around the stereo to have a listen, especially to the songs that weren't ever played on the radio! Finding those late album gems that turned into your favourite tracks was actually a bit special IMHO.

Yeah I find the best part is listening to tunes I didn't have the money to purchase back in the day, so catching up on those releases is definitely a plus.

Apparently I still like looking for those late album gems

ebd2c4412c009394ec391947239b5578.jpg

Bring back this era of music consumption
Limewire + WinAmp

1024px-Limewire2008.PNG

Is it a song, pr0n or a virus ?

There is only one way to find out

Linkin_Park_Numb.exe

I will go on record and say I'm not a big fan of the concept of Spotify.

Streaming TV shows I understand - at most you'll watch a show 2-3 times, beyond that you're a super fan which I am about a few shows.

Music albums are different, you'll listen to them 1000 times over. Owning the physical copy allows you to dust of old memories when chucking them on and you own it forever. There's a paranoid part of me that sees Spotify collapsing in the future and I lose access to the music I stopped buying - and that's doubly bad with the players for CDs etc ceasing to exist.

I also remember buying new albums and being excited at the inserts and covers, probably not so much applicable as I'm an old man now but I feel like it's a thing kids are missing out on these days with CDs still being released, but players not being around as much anymore.

The ease of access and being able to make playlists is *en great though. And I assume for fledgling artists like Keys's son it's a great way to get your music worldwide without needing a record deal to produce physical copies.

Bit of an old man rant but yeah.

The main problem with Spotify is the artists who provide the content get paid three fifths of * all so it’s near impossible to make a living from making music

Need to make money from live shows or merch but for that you have to crack the market big time

Need to make money from live shows or merch but for that you have to crack the market big time
Then they have promoters trying to make more money by scheduling concerts in cheaper locations such as the Nikola Estate Winery whereby the punter suffers due to a lack of adequate facilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are hipsters still a thing? It recently occurred to me that I don't notice them around anymore, in the post-Covid era. So maybe the pandemic wasn't all bad?

I think they are, but now there's so many of them they don't stand-out as much and the things they like are readily accessible to everyone.

Wasn't their whole schtick that they like things that were accessible to people about two generations or more ago? Like vinyl record players and shoe shines?

In a way - I don't think it was about being new, but more to being rare in most cases. But I was thinking more about custom Dr Martens and gourmet coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back