Banter RDT 164 - Sway, Duck, Whack

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quinton De Kock with a big oof in the world T20 today.

Tldr. South Africa players instructed to kneel before game. He decides to take his bat and ball and go home.

I'm pretty left but this is a shitty situation in general. Forcing patriotism/feelings to cause is generally wrong, applies to anthems and BLM etc... creating a situation where your best player doesn't play is bad for all involved. How much of that is on QDK vs the board or sponsors or whoever is TBD.

Kinda like one of those TV shows where instead of "good" and "bad" you hate everyone involved for getting to here.
Yeah a bit of a token gesture.

But isnt welcome to country, pride round, the pink test match all token gestures aswell.

De kock must feel pretty strongly about his convictions to not show support on a racial issue. Given the history on this issue in south africa its a bit of a sore point.

I know you can't fence off an entire road cycling course, but you'd think the organisers could manage to make it harder for people to cross the track at the finish line:

Her brain must have switched of just before then. Like thats a huge brain fart

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fully understand what you are saying and in particular the picture above but when it comes to the above it's not possible in humanity, particularly in a capitalist western society or any type of government in the world today. Even forgetting all those with differing amounts of equity there is always multiple facets that will stop it from ever happening.

1. Human greed.
2. Differing levels of intellectual and physical ability
3. Personal and government spending.

Now people will say well help these people more, but first of all you need people who physically want to help and secondly you need people to want to be helped and achieve a higher level of life.

If we want to discuss even the basic financials. Last I checked and i'm sure it's still very similar but the primary method that people contribute to pay for any form of welfare, benefits or help for others is through their income tax. The total amount of personal income tax collected each year is almost identical to the amount of the combined types of welfare being paid.

Royalties, GST on spending and Corporate tax pay for every other federal service provided. Businesses need to grow to not only provide more job opportunities but also to then pay more tax so increasing corporate taxes tends to lead to a net negative. GST is just people spending their own money after tax and is spread (reasonably unfairly but that's another debate) back to the states for their responsibilities and Royalties on mining etc can't be much higher than they currently are as there is a very fine line between making and losing money. If commodity prices fall below a certain amount then you are again not only losing income to spend but production slows or on relatively weaker mines production stops and more and more jobs are lost.

Now if everyone wants to pay a 70% income tax rate, you can get rid of any wasteful spending and get all levels of government to agree at all levels then it may be possible financially. But then you are still left with the basis that you are taking away a large part of peoples reasons to succeed and also further lowering the incentive of people to want to improve themselves and their situation.

Yes, Australia isn't perfect but a lot of people need to recognise that we live in a society that has universal health care, quality schooling, food, shelter etc. etc. We are some of the most fortunate people in the world to live where we do and have what we have. Even those who are amongst the least fortunate are far better off than the majority of the worlds population and have support and help systems in place.

Australia and in particular the World are not perfect because people are not perfect and never will be. For those of us who have spent significant time in remote communities and travelled parts of the world at war or where entire countries and peoples are under duress or oppression it can be hard to look at something like the Black Lives Matter movement and really give a sh*t as there is so much worse going on.

Why should I, who has served 6 years in the military, grown up with a stepfather who was a health inspector to the remote communities in the Pilbara and genuinely been there and helped the people (I was literally nicknamed the cuzzy kid because the indigenous people saw me as just another one of the cousins as i was shoeless in short shorts playing with the kids on the hard dirt under the sun), has spent 18 months on the actual ground raising money for children's charities both for domestic and overseas causes (we're talking not only significant time for very little reward but also a large part in millions collected) demean myself for something I don't believe in. Yes all this was done before I worked 60-80 hours a week for 12 years in sales & finance so that I can semi-retire comfortably (i'm not rich and still work part time) but from all that I have done and everyone still suffers. But from my own experiences I have suffered PTSD for well over a decade as well as anxiety and depression for far longer. I have been homeless, a part of my ethnicity is indigenous and I ask for no help, still pay taxes, child support and fully support myself. So I will ask again why should I demean myself for a cause that is almost purely political and mostly about a specific race of people in another developed country? I'm not going to march with some extremist group and will always be the first person to jump in and help stop a fight or dispute while others stand around with their phones (I have the scars to prove it). I have lost almost all my family, have been a victim of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon (different instances), destruction of my vehicle, theft, home invasion as well as innumerable verbal assaults all due to indigenous Australians. I won't take a knee for anyone, I can look in the mirror and say "I've done enough" and if people want to still call me racist or any other form of 'ist' then that's on them as far as i'm concerned, not me.

Just on remote communities money is not the issue. People power is and the people there need to actually want to improve themselves. Now you can't build full support systems in 100's of remote areas as it's financially not viable, nor are there the people who would be willing to do the work. So how do you help these people? Even with every support in place it takes generations, not years or insignificant acts to improve quality of life.

Oh and the biggest thing every single person overlooks in the above picture is that all 3 of those people in both pictures are still outside the fence. They are still outside the venue and the only reason there is equity in the second picture is because they decided to help each other.

I disagree with a lot of this, but I think you have a perfectly valid and coherent worldview that would be shared by the majority of people of all stripes in Australia.

Your point on the fence is very true and what's always bothered me by that photo. The fence is still there.

go look at the tweets under Russell Woolf’s last tweet. No surprise that anti vaxxers are pure filth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back