Roast Sack Koch - Chairman of The Redeem Team

Remove this Banner Ad

He was emotional and to me it was him saying he loves the club and wants to invest more time into it.
You’re kidding yourself if we actually had a say in moving Ken on while the AFL pull our strings. Hopefully we keep making money and get the club in our hands. I honestly think Kochie can he’ll with that.

You are probably right, but it was a poor choice of words. He’s the chairman; not a regular supporter.

The plebe can say such a thing freely, but the royalty should avoid it.

We don't, that clause wasn't written into our agreement.

When asked about this at the AGM Koch seemed bewildered.
Does anyone know whether Tasmania are going to be AFL controlled or member controlled?

Port coming close to folding in 2011 is the main cause of your club becoming AFL controlled, and I remember similar happening with Sydney in the 90s when they came close to folding.

How long until your club becomes debt free? When this happens, surely there's a case for the AFL giving control of your club to your members?

Does anyone know whether Tasmania are going to be AFL controlled or member controlled?

Port coming close to folding in 2011 is the main cause of your club becoming AFL controlled, and I remember similar happening with Sydney in the 90s when they came close to folding.

How long until your club becomes debt free? When this happens, surely there's a case for the AFL giving control of your club to your members?
Tassie will definitely be AFL controlled like GC and GWS.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

One hoped for positive of Koch having more time on his hands could be that he could push for the PAFC to eventually become member controlled.

Wishful thinking I know, but maybe, just maybe he and his ginormous ego could come to terms with that being his lasting legacy!

John Olsen thinks the Tasmanian deal is the deal of the century. Port had the worst deal any club has had when joining the AFL.

I'd suggest this is true

We didn't exactly get a lot of support from Victoria or SA, knowing we had a choice of joining the AFL or being stuck in the SANFL with no friends

Davis Koch has no intention of giving back control to the members. He made that abundantly clear at the AGM when I told him we (members) want our club back.

I am not sure it would be up to Koch, more likely those faceless men in AFL House.

No one has ever come out and told us how KT and Koch were appointed. It certainly did not come from within the PAFC.

Sadly the days of member control are gone and playing in the AFL has come at a cost as we are now as corporate as the franchise from West Lakes.

Davis Koch has no intention of giving back control to the members. He made that abundantly clear at the AGM when I told him we (members) want our club back.

To be fair, this ist entirely within his control either. The AFL has control under the deal with the SANFL to relinquish the license. The real problem is that there is no end date fixed in the constitution for this arrangement - which Koch would have signed on as a board member and Chairman - unlike the Crows constitution which allows for an end date of 2029.

Always struck me as weird even if the date was further along.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure member control is the panacea that people think it would be.
Fraught with disaster.

It’s not meant to be a panacea. It’s about taking responsibility; being able to change course when things go wrong.

I'm not sure member control is the panacea that people think it would be.
Fraught with disaster.
Maybe so, but I'd rather fail because of our own decisions than fail because of someone else's.

You’re kidding yourself if we actually had a say in moving Ken on while the AFL pull our strings

St Kilda are zillions in debt, rely heavily on additional AFL funding, and were allowed to fire Brett Ratten out of a cannon five minutes after extending him.

It’s the inconsistency that grates.

I don't know whether I've written a positive post about Koch but I will try.

I will say if Koch and the board decided 2023 was a transitioning year but they couldn't tell the world that it would be Hinkley's last year, Josh Carr would be making the coaching decisions, Hinkley would be a boundary rider, the younger guys would run the team and the older guys would be phased out - even the captain, than I would say they are doing a really bloody good job.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back