• Yes

Votes: 51 89.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Meh

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the club should ask for more Saturday Twilight home games.

Today's game got a bigger crowd than the game against Collingwood and I don't think that would've happened if it was a 7.40pm start, as there were a lot of kids at the game today.

Considering the 7.40pm Saturday games we get don't even get shown on FTA in Melbourne so we should definitely go after more Saturday twilight home games. Even though I prefer afternoon games, Saturday twilight offers the best of both afternoon and night games. Here are my reasons why:
- It doesn't end late, therefore allowing families (especially the ones with young kids who are the future of our supporter base) to turn up.
- The nearby shops/bakery is open before the game and at half time, allowing fans to get some food before the game or at half time at reasonable prices.
- Can watch another game on TV at the pub before the game starts and have lunch.
- Can watch another live game on TV afterwards
- Still has footy under lights.
- Don't get home ridiculously late.
- Doesn't get ridiculously cold.
- Doesn't have the 11/12 hour wait for the game on the Saturday Morning.
- Still have plenty of time to do stuff after or before the game.

I have more reasons but I am sleepy so I will more than likely make gradual updates to this opening post.

Loads of free tickets helps too;)

I think it's a great time to play the games at the Gabba. Left the Gabba, picked up Thai takeaway and and a few beers on the way home, switched on the telly and flicked between Hawks/Cats and Eagles/Crows and Lions/Wallabies games.
Brilliant!

What I like most about going to Saturday afternoon/twilight games is that you can watch live sport on TV at home afterwards or have time to do other things :thumbsu:

Loads of free tickets helps too;)

Didn't know (or think) they were giving away freebies for this game. The site I use to get free tickets (if they are available) haven't offered any so far this season (for Lions and Suns home games).

Didn't know (or think) they were giving away freebies for this game. The site I use to get free tickets (if they are available) haven't offered any so far this season (for Lions and Suns home games).

There were plenty given to Auskickers I was made to believe. Much more than usual.. They were sitting up behind the Eastern side goals.

Either way, 27,000... you still need to get them there. Good result

There were a few thousand Auskicker families there on free tickets as there was for the Cats game.

The twilight games are nice for my kids who are 5 and 7 - it's a goldilocks time for our family.

It is probably my favourite timeslot for a Saturday game on the couch.

If it is the smack bang in the middle of the day, such as the 1-2pm timeslot, it occasionally pisses the girlfriend off because she knows I aint going anywhere or will want to rush home if we are out doing something in the morning and conversely on a Saturday night, unless it is a special occasion, she knows I won't want to do anything save for friends coming over and me practically being anti-social for the night.

The beauty about the Saturday timeslot is that it allows you the opportunity to do whatever crap you need to do for a large part of the day and get home in time and similarly it is over early enough to still go out for dinner or catch up with friends or watch more games etc.

Win win all round in my book.

Great timeslot to watch in Melbourne - can pop over to a mates before going out, head to the local for a snack and a beer and not feel like it's too early and the turnouts seem great.

Sunday twilight games though...ugh.

There were a few thousand Auskicker families there on free tickets as there was for the Cats game.

The twilight games are nice for my kids who are 5 and 7 - it's a goldilocks time for our family.

It was actually the little ones who got the best chant from the crowd going all night

It seemed very slippery last night but I suspect it was more a factor of the temperature change after a warm day than the timeslot.

The dew seemed to settle very very quickly and players were slipping over everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seemed very slippery last night but I suspect it was more a factor of the temperature change after a warm day than the timeslot.

The dew seemed to settle very very quickly and players were slipping over everywhere.

Given the alternative for us are night games where the dew is there for the whole match....

I think it's great! Probably not as big a thing for me anymore as I now live a 10-minute walk from the Gabba, but it's still nice to be able to get home in time to watch another game and get a somewhat decent nights sleep (although I still haven't bothered getting out of bed yet. I just can't be bothered on a Sunday!).

i really like the timeslot BUT
family friendly = more kids kicking the back of my friggin' seat!

To me it is simple. In our hey day we smashed teams in the heat. It was a huge competitive advantage and we used it to our advantage. Bring back the afternoon game, Saturday or Sunday and watch us climb back up the ladder!

To me it is simple. In our hey day we smashed teams in the heat. It was a huge competitive advantage and we used it to our advantage. Bring back the afternoon game, Saturday or Sunday and watch us climb back up the ladder!

Bit of a long bow there I think.

In our heyday, we smashed our opposition in any weather.

Being good had more to do with it than being hot.

As to the question.............yep I'm a fan....way to go:thumbsu:

Back