SNFL Div 2 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

For those that dont have a subscription:

Police have been called in after a suburban footballer was coward-punched from behind on Saturday.
Footage has emerged of a man jumping the fence and striking a Hampton Park player as he watched play from the interchange area while waiting to return to the field.

The incident happened in the reserve-grade game between Hampton Park and Doveton at Robert Booth Reserve.

It’s understood the player who was struck suffered a facial injury.

It’s also believed the person who punched the victim is not involved at Hampton Park but the person who took the video is and has since been removed from the Division 2 club.

Southern Football Netball League CEO Lee Hartman said Hampton Park had alerted the league to the incident and said it had been referred to the police.

“I believe it involves two people from the same side … it’s become a police matter so we are letting them deal with it at this stage,’’ Hartman said.

Hampton Park declined to comment when contacted today.

Victoria Police has been contacted for comment.

For those that dont have a subscription:

Police have been called in after a suburban footballer was coward-punched from behind on Saturday.
Footage has emerged of a man jumping the fence and striking a Hampton Park player as he watched play from the interchange area while waiting to return to the field.

The incident happened in the reserve-grade game between Hampton Park and Doveton at Robert Booth Reserve.

It’s understood the player who was struck suffered a facial injury.

It’s also believed the person who punched the victim is not involved at Hampton Park but the person who took the video is and has since been removed from the Division 2 club.

Southern Football Netball League CEO Lee Hartman said Hampton Park had alerted the league to the incident and said it had been referred to the police.

“I believe it involves two people from the same side … it’s become a police matter so we are letting them deal with it at this stage,’’ Hartman said.

Hampton Park declined to comment when contacted today.

Victoria Police has been contacted for comment.

That's the exact behaviour that the league took years to stamp out. Hopefully this is an isolated incident and we don't see a repeat of crowd provoked violence.

Plenty of bad blood between the 2 ressies teams they had a big bust up in last years semi final after the siren also being a local derby something was going to happen didn’t think it would be this but was going to be fiery

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw M'beena V St Kilda City. Good game although Benna ran away in last QTR. Though St K had the better of them for 3 QTR's. They were harder at the ball and wanted it more, down on personal cost them. Benna had No12 and 14 rule the middle and one of their forwards (No 23 I think) played really well. No 9 the other forward was well beaten by no 40 from SKC, I think the is a cult figure at the club. Was their BOG by a mile.

Both clubs should be in a different league anyway
Give it a rest about sides from south east playing in this league they are both good run clubs with great facilities surely most want to play in a competition with clubs that have this and have good supporters following them I live in the city and come out here regularly to be involved not a big drive and remember these sides probably do more travelling than most sides in sfl Now the incident at Hampton Park was a personal issue between some people and had nothing to do with either side. And you will love this spoken to several people at Narre Warren they are saying that they will be in SFnl next year

Possibly, but could argue a young fella who was essentially tackled over the line into coaches box (which was all essentially ok) shouldn’t then be set on. Anyway was dealt with in
Strong fashion by tribunal.
That’s disgraceful and you can see spectators just walking onto the ground looking for trouble even post the incident. Surely you would suspend the club for a few weeks as they appear to have no control whatsoever around that bench area.

Who is no6 for EM. Seems like a decent forward..

That’s disgraceful and you can see spectators just walking onto the ground looking for trouble even post the incident. Surely you would suspend the club for a few weeks as they appear to have no control whatsoever around that bench area.

Who is no6 for EM. Seems like a decent forward..

They got three of the spectators suspended for 4 weeks each will be interesting to see what caufield do all being new recruits if that’s what they want at the club

Just catching up on that, I stand corrected.

Isolated incident has now become systemic crowd behaviour.
Systemic would mean the entire league by definition. Not sure that’s the case. The Caulfield matter was actually players hence suspended. The Hampton park incident seems to have some different conatations given the incident was filmed by the perpetrators in some kind of set up.

Systemic would mean the entire league by definition. Not sure that’s the case. The Caulfield matter was actually players hence suspended. The Hampton park incident seems to have some different conatations given the incident was filmed by the perpetrators in some kind of set up.
Happy to be corrected but I understand that while they might be players, they were not actually playing. Not suggesting it is systemic but consecutive weeks in the same grade is concerning. Footballers should never be subject to cheap shots from those outside the field of play.

Last edited:
Happy to be corrected but I understand that while they might be players, they were not actually playing. Not suggesting it is systemic but consecutive weeks in the same grade is concerning. Footballers should never be subject to cheap shots from those outside the field of play.
No need for correction. I think one was playing the others maybe not during that game. Not 100% on that. Re your last point absolutely. Things can get out of hand pretty quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back