Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly “Van Diemen’s Land”.

Thankfully we are paddling fast away.

Not fast enough sadly. I think the Sainters will be calling Tassie home by 2025.

I'm still not sure about the Saints.

They're running a good system at the moment, but I feel it's despite their lack of talent.

They make a lot of errors. Basic ones. Lots of fumbling, missed targets, stuff ups going forward.

My gut feel is that their system will be sound enough to best weak and middle of the road teams - but to beat the good ones you need both a good system, and polish.

I'm just not seeing the polish to be honest.

They're running a good system at the moment, but I feel it's despite their lack of talent.

They make a lot of errors. Basic ones. Lots of fumbling, missed targets, stuff ups going forward.

My gut feel is that their system will be sound enough to best weak and middle of the road teams - but to beat the good ones you need both a good system, and polish.

For all the stuff ups going forward, St Kilda has the highest efficiency inside 50 at the moment

Yes, so how many shots you get on goal per inside 50

Once it's in the 50, it's functioning well - plus they have quality in there.

It's through the midfield, and out of defence where I see a lack of talent and polish.

I just think when they play a Brisbane, or Melbourne, or even the Bulldogs, this lack of class will hurt them.

They still seem very susceptible to pressure. They fumble, miss targets by hand, resort to the hack kick a bit, etc.

They've improved no doubt - but I still see this as a limitation.

The games against Geelong and Melbourne in a few weeks time will give us the best idea of where St Kilda are at.

Once it's in the 50, it's functioning well - plus they have quality in there.

It's through the midfield, and out of defence where I see a lack of talent and polish.

I just think when they play a Brisbane, or Melbourne, or even the Bulldogs, this lack of class will hurt them.

They still seem very susceptible to pressure. They fumble, miss targets by hand, resort to the hack kick a bit, etc.

They've improved no doubt - but I still see this as a limitation.
Fair enough. I would have thought if they were stuffing up going forward we'd be seeing turnovers in the forward half but instead they are scoring more than anyone.

Time will tell how we go against those sides. It's going to be hard for anyone to beat Melbourne.

I think you underrate some of our players though. Gresham has been huge for us after 2 years of barely any footy. Sinclair has become an elite player over the last 12 month's. Steele we know is elite.

Adding Clark, Jones and Billings in the coming weeks will help to.

Third on the ladder, if this is No Mans Land well sign me up.

I feel like I'm in Disneyland right now and I have a free ticket on all the rides.
Makes no sense. Once you're "in Disneyland", all the rides are free. They don't charge per ride. It's not the Rye Carnival.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hayes was an unknown factor at AFL level
And playing as a ruck / tall forward. There is clear upside there.
Same with Sharman.

Lienert is a 2nd/3rd tall defender who was on an AFL list for ?6 years. Pretty much a known quantity. He can't play on the real big.

Good back up for a team wanting to push for finals wins.. I just don't think they're there.

They've already got Wilkie, Webster, Battle, Highmore, Allison, Coffield (injured) who can play 2nd/3rd tall defender. Plus Howard, Joyce, Oscar Adams that are 1st/2nd tall defender.

They really need a mature, fringe level 2nd/3rd tall defender?

I think they need to find young talent.
Turns out he's been a pretty handy recruit actually

Coff went down with a knee then Clark with a shoulder. He's an experienced player that has been able to slot straight into their role and has helped us win games.

Players like Oscar Adams and Matt Allison that you've named are that far off league footy it would have been worse for their development throwing them to the wolves.

As for the young talent we should have taken over him, we took 6 in last year's draft. 3 of them have already played this year, including 2 that played in yesterday's win.

Looking like the Essendon of last year to this point. Winning the games they should. Interesting when they play one of the better sides to see what happens. For me they still lack the absolute a graders of the best sides. Steele is a gun but outside him you’ve got a bunch of guys playing at basically career high levels. King and Gresham look the goods to be very high level players I just feel like we need to see it a bit longer and against better sides before we can discount a reversion to mean.

Don't the Saints do this every year though? Just waiting for the inevitable collapse.

We were shizen early last year. Worst club in the AFL before we got going mid year. Year before we were good all year before the tigers got us in the finals then won the flag...

What part of what you said is in any way correct?

We were shizen early last year. Worst club in the AFL before we got going mid year. Year before we were good all year before the tigers got us in the finals then won the flag...

What part of what you said is in any way correct?i

What part of what you said is in any way correct?
It's a Collingwood supporter. First thing in the head is spewed out. Correctness and thought isn't applicable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back