Trade completed - Rhys Shaw and pick 61 to Sydney for pick 46

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: OFFICIAL TRADE- Rhyce Shaw to Sydney for pick 61

If he wanted to be traded and Sydney wanted him than fine but instead of getting Sydney's third round, we should have given Shaw + 2nd or 3rd round for O'Keefe

If he wanted to be traded and Sydney wanted him than fine but instead of getting Sydney's third round, we should have given Shaw + 2nd or 3rd round for O'Keefe

Your joking, no way would the Swans give ROK up for that ....
Throw in ur 1st rnd draft pick, and then you would have been in with a chance

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how you rate him, he wanted to move, he wanted out, put in a request form.

Collingwood did well from the deal and by the kid.

He needed a new club and Sydney could be good for him and the trade a real good one for the swans.

When he is focused on his footy he can find plenty of the ball, has good pace, will run and carry, runs all day and looks good, BUT he never, ever takes the first/best option and constantly runs himself into trouble, kicks to a contest and a team-mates disadvantage, (or just plain turns it over) and this is a shocking flaw in his game.

Its win/win or nil all as I see it.

Pies get a speculative pick to use as they see fit, Swans get a pacy, hard running mid/defender with some serious flaws to try and iron out.

Re: Trade made - Rhys Shaw and pick 61 to Sydney for pick 46

Good luck to you.

I've watched him week in week out for the last 5 years and I won't miss him at all.

Win/win.

Amazing you even noticed him at all while Buckley was still playing!

For the record, I had a look at his stats for season 2008 at the Pies!
He was.....

5th in highest disposals.
6th in centre clearances.
5th in inside 50's
4th in marks.
8th in tackles.
8th in goal assists.
9th in one percenters............ahead of Thomas - 15th, Didak-16th Davis- 19th, Swan-21st & Burns- 24th.
his disposal efficiency was better then Didak, Thomas Swan, & Medhurst.
11th in clangers with the guys above having more.

Oh yeah! And one of the most important stats in todays football!

Bounces.......................he was 2nd at you club for that with 68, behind Thomas - 77. Next was Davis with 46!

One gets the feeling Roos & co know better then the Collingwood supporters themselves just how much of a bargain we have received in picking up Shaw.
Imagine how good he will be for us with a Roos usual little bit of tinkering in the confidence department.

No.....................................I'm pleased with the trade!!

When I first saw the headline I thought "you bueaty. Heath shaw!", Then I read Rhys......err no thanks.

Why do Sydney accumulate these duds?.
He'll be delisted within 2 years. Just like Spriggs, Chambers and all the others like him.

He was.....

5th in inside 50's
4th in marks.
8th in tackles.
8th in goal assists.
9th in one percenters............ahead of Thomas - 15th, Didak-16th Davis- 19th, Swan-21st & Burns- 24th.

Bounces.......................he was 2nd at you club for that with 68, behind Thomas - 77. Next was Davis with 46!

One gets the feeling Roos & co know better then the Collingwood supporters themselves just how much of a bargain we have received in picking up Shaw.
Imagine how good he will be for us with a Roos usual little bit of tinkering in the confidence department.

hmmmmmmmmm so u just looked at the stats and not actually watch the kid play?
i cant wait til he plays with ur mob and at a critical stage he will kick it over someones head or run over the ball and let the opposition kick a easy goal like he did so many times this year.

You probably like Brad Symes is a gun cause he goes ok in FF when he is a dud.

Should get a gig as a Freo recruiter champ

He was.....

5th in inside 50's
4th in marks.
8th in tackles.
8th in goal assists.

I'm with you....i think he was actually pretty good this year. How about some of his tagging jobs? Absolutely shut down Chris Judd.

He carried no trade value so we couldnt have got much more...but far from a shocker from the swans.

hmmmmmmmmm so u just looked at the stats and not actually watch the kid play?
i cant wait til he plays with ur mob and at a critical stage he will kick it over someones head or run over the ball and let the opposition kick a easy goal like he did so many times this year.

You probably like Brad Symes is a gun cause he goes ok in FF when he is a dud.

Should get a gig as a Freo recruiter champ

Actually.......you couldn't have guessed further from the truth. Being a Melbourne based Swans supporter, we don't get to see our team live very often so I go to a neutral game nearly every weekend. MANY of those have been Collingwood games because my good mate follows the Pies!

Even my mate says that the supporters are tough on him.
Look.........we all have a player at our club that we love to hate & we are all extra critical & magnify things whenever they make a mistake & our much loved players get a more lenient attitude from us when they actually make worse mistakes.
You know what I mean. Leo Barry is the one that cops it at our club & someone pointed out to me his disposal efficiency percentage is about 85%. That makes him the most efficient at the swans!
Yes...this is what led me to look at Shaws stats.
Sorry!
But even whenwatching your team with an unbiased eye. He aint your worst.
Give him a break! I think this was more about Rhys needing to have a complete getaway from his 'family' club! He gets a clean break & we POTENTIALLY have line breaker!

He knows how to get the ball, and he knows how to run, but oh my Barry Hall is going to have a fit when he realises that Rhyce has no idea how to kick to a leading target.

He was the Crows best player in the first half of the final, turned it over so much.
Good luck to him in Sydney, but these are the players we need to get rid of, players who can't kick.

Not too fussed by this trade, but it almost seems pointless.

We'll he be getting a game ahead of a recently signed Crouch? Will he keep a player like Thornton or Schmidt out of the side?

One of the most even and pointless trades I've ever seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good riddance calls are probably a bit harsh. I think the trade is reasonably fair all round. He was probably going to be overtaken by players such as Cook and Barham and Corrie has come in as well so his assets of pace and ability to run and carry have been replaced.

I think Rhyce realised this and wanted a fresh chance. The swans would love his run and his carry but his disposal is a worry. He was going to be fringe 22 player next year for us and I think he probably will be for the Swans as well.

I wish him all the best though - it's great to see him get another opportunity. There are too many 27 year olds thrown on the scrapheap nowadays I reckon.

Actually.......you couldn't have guessed further from the truth. Being a Melbourne based Swans supporter, we don't get to see our team live very often so I go to a neutral game nearly every weekend. MANY of those have been Collingwood games because my good mate follows the Pies!

Even my mate says that the supporters are tough on him.
Look.........we all have a player at our club that we love to hate & we are all extra critical & magnify things whenever they make a mistake & our much loved players get a more lenient attitude from us when they actually make worse mistakes.
You know what I mean. Leo Barry is the one that cops it at our club & someone pointed out to me his disposal efficiency percentage is about 85%. That makes him the most efficient at the swans!
Yes...this is what led me to look at Shaws stats.
Sorry!
But even whenwatching your team with an unbiased eye. He aint your worst.
Give him a break! I think this was more about Rhys needing to have a complete getaway from his 'family' club! He gets a clean break & we POTENTIALLY have line breaker!
i was never a Shaw basher or hung him out to dry but his last few games were frustrating as hell and led me to believe he was gone or needed to go.
He would work his arse off to get the pill but then make some absolute shocking blunders which would out do everything he had done.
Look at the Crows final in Adelaide, kicked a goal and did a couple decent things and then BANG! misses a couple targets and then in defence runs over the ball in a weak effort and they then snap a goal and got out to a handy lead.
This is Rhyce Shaw and this is why he cops a lot of heat.

Good luck with him though

We wouldn't have used pick 61 anyway, so it's basically Rhyce for pick 46.

Rhyce works his backside off and gets alot of handball receives and gut runs to space. He is a decent player. His disposal unfortunately lets him down, probably costing us the game against the Dogs when he missed 2 sitters from about 30-35m out early on.

I liked Rhyce and wish him the best.

We have guys like Wellingham, McCarthy and Barham who have similar speed, better disposal but becuase of their youth, they don't have the tank yet. These guys will play that role.

Getting on the piss for 2 straight nights when you're out injured doesn't bode well for a career at a club.

Hine obviously thinks he can snare a gooden at this pick.

Nothing achieved i feel..but hey we'll warm to him.

A few beers...a nice flat in clovelly and a steady supply of eastern suburbs princesses should help him adjust.

He'll get every chance to shine...up to him.

We got smashed in that trade why did we have to throw in pick 61

People will always bag Shaw his just one of those players but he has been great at Pies past 3 years good get Swans watch how hard he runs for your club to make space and his kicking has improved alot no where near as bad as what people say

Club probably only looking at 4 picks so If we're getting a third rounder to use instead of a forth rounder then we have to be in front.

Agree that Shaw has had a good few years and will be missed. Still think he should have been given a wing to make his own.

we're absolutely stupid for getting rid of r.shaw. He's basically our only line breaker and after his best season we trade him off... just ridiculous...

I would of thought the pies had several other options. Clarke, Goldsack, O'Brien, H Shaw are a few that come to mind who are developing nicely in this area.

Stoppage.............gather................run............(fast)........... ........carry....................bounce........ break the lines ......................carry.......................bounce..................handball!

With good coaches around him anything can happen!!

Won't have the Collingwood "know it all" army on his back either!!

That will make him improve just like that!

Give the guy a chance to make a go of it. I know as a Swan supporter that I will give him a go!
Welcome to the Bloods Rhys! Kirky & co will show you how to give your best!!

Good theory but he turns it over by hand as much as he does by foot. I'm a long term fan of R Shaw and even I get really frustrated by the turnovers. Still think it's a win/win. Swans get a good ball carrier, Pies get 4 picks inside top 50 in a draft that people are struggling to fit good players into in terms of mock drafts. Last uncompromised draft for a few years and it's all quality (apparently!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back