VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

What's incorrect?

I read it as being if cricketers try any sneaky training prior to councils approving such, a ‘concerned citizen’ may lodge a complaint. Essentially sports grounds are free reserves now for all and sundry as clubs are not being permitted to exclusively use the facility. So way more time for kids, dog walkers etc to use the grounds with no restrictions!

Cricket would actually be a good test sport - socially distanced, non contact and CA has already trailed guidelines up north around reduction of touch points such as balls left at stumps between changes, umps not taking hats/sunnies etc. onerous but may work. And local cricket crowds are so few the person per square meter rule is no issue!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I read it as being if cricketers try any sneaky training prior to councils approving such, a ‘concerned citizen’ may lodge a complaint. Essentially sports grounds are free reserves now for all and sundry as clubs are not being permitted to exclusively use the facility. So way more time for kids, dog walkers etc to use the grounds with no restrictions!

Cricket would actually be a good test sport - socially distanced, non contact and CA has already trailed guidelines up north around reduction of touch points such as balls left at stumps between changes, umps not taking hats/sunnies etc. onerous but may work. And local cricket crowds are so few the person per square meter rule is no issue!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Or not leaving after a game and having drinks in car parks etc.

CV has proposed training to start from October 26 and a resumption date for play November 14. CV aiming to finish the season by end of March to allow winter sports a fair look after cancellation of there season.

I suspect football training may resume late November or December in small groups 1 night a week with heavy restrictions around equipment and most likely no access to change rooms.

I think from memory Easter is first week of April so it’s a perfect barrier, no point cricket trying to play past there anyway.

Not a rumour. Was confirmed in Local Leader (apologies but article is paywalled). Suggests that Collegians got him a job but employment is tricky at the moment and perhaps it fell through.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader...l/news-story/4fa5f47e3fc31a0d7aae020de7710fed

I expect that a few big names lured to the VAFA on the promise of employment will now be looking for a quick buck elsewhere. Armitage won’t be the last. Unsubstantiated rumour but have heard Boyd that not sticking around at SKOB. Can anyone confirm?

Not a rumour. Was confirmed in Local Leader (apologies but article is paywalled). Suggests that Collegians got him a job but employment is tricky at the moment and perhaps it fell through.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader...l/news-story/4fa5f47e3fc31a0d7aae020de7710fed

I expect that a few big names lured to the VAFA on the promise of employment will now be looking for a quick buck elsewhere. Armitage won’t be the last. Unsubstantiated rumour but have heard Boyd that not sticking around at SKOB. Can anyone confirm?
Might be a touch tricky to find a quick buck elsewhere with salary caps in suburban/country footy being slashed.

It's a "brave new world" in 2021, but perhaps a welcome throwback to the more sane times of the 1980s and 90s when so many more people just played football for enjoyment. There may have still been bit of a lining of the hip pocket, but not so many mercenaries bouncing between clubs/comps getting paid stupid money for being good ordinary footballers. That simply shouldn't happen again (at least for some time I'd hope)

Bit of a shame to be honest. AFL Masters have run a good comp with multiple divisions for decades and clubs have the ability to find their own level. Ran around in it myself for a while many years back for suburban based, non VAFA club.

My club has had Supers for about 5-6 years now. Great concept and very social but nobody takes it too seriously. Quite a few VAFA clubs involved in AFL Masters but not sure the VAFA could do a better job of running it then the current body. VAFA obviously see a buck in this. Wonder if the old buggers will be stung a rego fee like the 19s, men’s and women’s.

Reckon they have more pressing matters to deal with before dabbling in something else.

Last edited:
Bit of a shame to be honest. AFL Masters have run a good comp with multiple divisions for decades and clubs have the ability to find their own level. Ran around in it myself for a while many years back for suburban based, non VAFA club.

My club has had Supers for about 5-6 years now. Great concept and very social but nobody takes it too seriously. Quite a few VAFA clubs involved in AFL Masters but not sure the VAFA could do a better job of running it then the current body. VAFA obviously see a buck in this. Wonder if the old buggers will be stung a rego fee like the 19s, men’s and women’s.

Reckon they have more pressing matters to deal with before dabbling in something else.
The affiliation fee will be twice as much for half the games I’d wager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks. Don't know a lot about that club or comp. To be honest if you have a coach, assistant or otherwise, who does not use his connections to recruit players he is in the wrong caper.
But using kids he coached that aren't APS is not on . Burt , no idea what he's done. In fact the whole under 18 comp is not helping footy

But using kids he coached that aren't APS is not on . Burt , no idea what he's done. In fact the whole under 18 comp is not helping footy
Why not? And why are APS kids different? Same goes for JB. Would be mad not to use his contacts (Hawks, BH, DLS, his sons) to lure players to the club he is now working for. Swings and roundabouts. Would suggest that $ may have a bit to do with it.

Why not? And why are APS kids different? Same goes for JB. Would be mad not to use his contacts (Hawks, BH, DLS, his sons) to lure players to the club he is now working for. Swings and roundabouts. Would suggest that $ may have a bit to do with it.
Who knows what he does , nothing to do with me . JB needs to be careful what he does

I hear Boyd and Kerr have other plans in 2021. Won't be the only ones that change Clubs without playing a game at their 2020 Club.

I hear Boyd and Kerr have other plans in 2021. Won't be the only ones that change Clubs without playing a game at their 2020 Club.
So my rumour might be James Frawley to Wesley. how do these clubs afford to pay well over 100k for coaching . the EPL

Seems there is a bit of a push for a Masters comp , don't mind the idea.
What about current masters metro Melbourne comp? they have some very strong sides being St Kevs, De la, Marcellin, Diamond Valley. VAFA would need to make clubbies comp with over 35s which would be hard to administer with age, rules, umps etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back