VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Hey WTP

Lifted this from you attachment:

Unfortunately, the VAFA Board had based its decision on incomplete information, and so at a meeting last night the VAFA Board partially reversed its decision regarding the makeup of 2022 Premier B Men’s and Premier C Men’s sections.

With the new information at hand the VAFA Board last night reviewed its original decision for these sections only. The outcome is that our Premier B Men’s competition will be made up of (9) clubs and our Premier C Men’s competition will be made up of (11) clubs for the 2022 season.

Blind Freddy knows that knows that the incomplete information was actually incorrect information given to the Board by who? The admin staff were responsible for collating the requests so who are the only ones supplying the info to the Board. The new info referred to above is the fact that Monash Blues did not request to go up.

Now we have a VAFA admin f up of monumental proportions with the showcase areas of the VAFA Prem B and Prem C [Just ask them] with 9/11 [subtle numbers] fixtures.

Really love the condescending wording in the final para

"While we acknowledge that the 2022 makeup of Premier B Men’s and Premier C Men’s sections presents an uneven number of teams, it was felt that these changes needed to be made for the greater good of the competition and its clubs."

They have put 1 club above 19! For the greater good - should be on the Comedy Club.

could have stretched to a small apology to Monash but we move on

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Parkdale been threatening to leave every year for the last 15 years?
Dont remember hearing much when they were strong

Yeah, I'm actually not defending the VAFA stuffing everyone around.
Rather, I think Monash in B and Parkdale in C makes a heap of sense, and would be amazed if anyone could seriously think it didn't.
I think the process itself was the issue.
Completely agree

I think everyone underestimates "the look" by being gifted promotion. I believe most Club committees and vast majority of playing groups would much prefer to "earn" it.
Many years ago in the lower grades against my wishes my Club was "gifted" promotion and promptly relegated again.

second time long time

for what it is worth - since the announcement about what section B/C clubs will play in next year about 75 Victorians have died from Covid. Seriously people.... we are in a global pandemic. Hopefully next year we will be able to chase the pig skin again, play some games of footy and connect with our mates each and every week. Perhaps time to focus on the positives and enjoy freedom day -- there are a few on here that will be about to be served up half empty pots.....

second time long time

for what it is worth - since the announcement about what section B/C clubs will play in next year about 75 Victorians have died from Covid. Seriously people.... we are in a global pandemic. Hopefully next year we will be able to chase the pig skin again, play some games of footy and connect with our mates each and every week. Perhaps time to focus on the positives and enjoy freedom day -- there are a few on here that will be about to be served up half empty pots.....

Wrong place, take it elsewhere .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think everyone underestimates "the look" by being gifted promotion. I believe most Club committees and vast majority of playing groups would much prefer to "earn" it.
Many years ago in the lower grades against my wishes my Club was "gifted" promotion and promptly relegated again.
I personally call BS. Being promoted to B or A enables far greater reach with regard to recruitment. Doesn't matter how you get there, its what you do there what counts.

Max "speaking on behalf of himself" Leader

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally call BS. Being promoted to B or A enables far greater reach with regard to recruitment. Doesn't matter how you get there, its what you do there what counts.

Max "speaking on behalf of himself" Leader
Case in point is MB. They had the opportunity to rise to B decided to stay in C. I think you'll find the playing group had a say and the committee made the FINAL decision.
It does matter how you get there............

Thoughts on what's happening Hedge ?
Look it’s a less than satisfactory outcome for there to be 9 teams in B and 11 in C. That’s putting it mildly.

Parkdale are in a world of hurt with the club apparently bleeding more players this off season. It remains to be seen whether they will even be competitive in C in 2022.

Given what we have gone through the last 2 seasons, and the stated position that no clubs would be forced to promote/relegate by the VAFA, I think it’s fair that they (ultimately) stuck to their guns and didn’t promote Monash given they didn’t request to do so.

it was dealt with comically, and that’s my major criticism, but the outcome isn’t a tragedy and I’m sure the competition will return to even numbers in all Premier grades in 2023.

So an acceptable outcome for mine (albeit for one season only) but the process was farcical.

Last edited:
Look it’s a less than satisfactory outcome for there to be 9 teams in B and 11 in C. That’s putting it mildly.

Parkdale are in a world of hurt with the SFNL rejecting their application and the club apparently bleeding more players this off season. It remains to be seen whether they will even be competitive in C in 2022.

Given what we have gone through the last 2 seasons, and the stated position that no clubs would be forced to promote/relegate by the VAFA, I think it’s fair that they (ultimately) stuck to their guns and didn’t promote Monash given they didn’t request to do so.

it was dealt with comically, and that’s my major criticism, but the outcome isn’t a tragedy and I’m sure the competition will return to even numbers in all Premier grades in 2023.

So an acceptable outcome for mine (albeit for one season only) but the process was farcical.

Process hasn't ended yet by a long way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back