Toast Welcome to Freo Michael Frederick – Fremantle’s 4th 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #61]

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m hoping this kid caps off what looks looks like a very handy 2018/2019 draft haul. Sturt, Young and Serong look to me like they’ll be all close to best 22 from next year onwards along with Henry still to come who should be in the same boat. Valente is still a bit of an unknown for me but sounds like a good kid. Good on the club for trading up in the draft on someone like Frederick with what looks like a high ceiling. Good luck young man👍
Traded up for Valente too. Seem to be pretty sharp in that aspect of the draft strategy.

We have had a few stabs at picks in the later rounds recently. In the last 6 years or so, Luke Ryan from 2016 is the only late round pick (50 or after) they became a genuine lock in the best 22. Langdon from 2014 was too but he’s no longer at the club.
The following have become Late pick fringe players that get decent gametime but are not best 22 locks:

Ethan Hughes
Taylin Duman
Brett Bewley
Lachie Schultz
Bailey Banfield
Sam Switkowski

then we have the late picks that get minimal or no gametime:

Carter
Giro
North
Watson
O’Reilly
Meek
Crowden

none of these strike me as guys who will become solid best 22 players in future.

I’ve left out 2019 draftees.

my point is that we need more from late round picks. There’s others like Deluca and nyhuis that were delisted. For years freo were a club that stuffed up early picks and rescued things in the 4th round or rookie draft.

medhurst
Sandi
Grover
Michael Johnson
Hayden
Lachie neale
Walters
Barlow

All late/rookie picks. All guns and firmly established best 22. In recent years we are better at the early picks but have lost the Midas touch in the late rounds. Let’s hope Frederick or Watson can step up and become best 22. Someone needs to emerge from this multitude of late picks and blossom into a gun.

We have had a few stabs at picks in the later rounds recently. In the last 6 years or so, Luke Ryan from 2016 is the only late round pick (50 or after) they became a genuine lock in the best 22. Langdon from 2014 was too but he’s no longer at the club.
The following have become Late pick fringe players that get decent gametime but are not best 22 locks:

Ethan Hughes
Taylin Duman
Brett Bewley
Lachie Schultz
Bailey Banfield
Sam Switkowski

then we have the late picks that get minimal or no gametime:

Carter
Giro
North
Watson
O’Reilly
Meek
Crowden

none of these strike me as guys who will become solid best 22 players in future.

I’ve left out 2019 draftees.

my point is that we need more from late round picks. There’s others like Deluca and nyhuis that were delisted. For years freo were a club that stuffed up early picks and rescued things in the 4th round or rookie draft.

medhurst
Sandi
Grover
Michael Johnson
Hayden
Lachie neale
Walters
Barlow

All late/rookie picks. All guns and firmly established best 22. In recent years we are better at the early picks but have lost the Midas touch in the late rounds. Let’s hope Frederick or Watson can step up and become best 22. Someone needs to emerge from this multitude of late picks and blossom into a gun.
We need more from our early picks, which we have plenty of, the problem is they’re not available due to injury. We can’t expect too much from our late picks, they’re bottom 10-15 players on the list and if they manage to cement themselves as best 22, good on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That vid have me warm fuzzies. He looks like he's added 5 kgs already. Can't wait to watch him play.
Good PR move by the club as well . Most of us were in shock when they bought Fyfe back from a one week hamstring and fairly pi...... off with the club especially going into a derby

We would much rather lose blooding some young exciting talent than with the old Matera etc list cloggers

As long as J-Lo gets a better performance from them than RTB's first derby!!!

Good PR move by the club as well . Most of us were in shock when they bought Fyfe back from a one week hamstring and fairly pi...... off with the club especially going into a derby

We would much rather lose blooding some young exciting talent than with the old Matera etc list cloggers

As long as J-Lo gets a better performance from them than RTB's first derby!!!
We have the youngest list in the league and the second least experienced list from memory. It really is a second rebuild after not climbing back up the ladder as quickly as many had hoped. I like the idea of Pina getting a game soon too. He and Frederick both seemed to have impressed coaches.

We have the youngest list in the league and the second least experienced list from memory. It really is a second rebuild after not climbing back up the ladder as quickly as many had hoped. I like the idea of Pina getting a game soon too. He and Frederick both seemed to have impressed coaches.
I feel like it is still the same rebuild considering how deep we cut the list over 2-3 years. Rebuilds don't usually take less than 2-3 years if it gets to the 5-6th year and we still have the youngest/least experienced list and around the bottom of the ladder then I will agree we are in a second rebuild.

I think we are pretty well on course at the moment after all it takes about 2-4 years for most players to get consistently good at AFL level. I am really looking forward to next year it should be a big one especially if we sort out our injury issues over the next off season.

Also we need to keep our talented young players if they leave without an equal return (same experience same skill player) it's a disaster can't afford to lose them for draft picks that will set us back.

Thanks Freddy for being one of the few bright spots today. Loved that he took the game on and didn’t shrink on the big stage. He’s got a long road ahead but it’s the great way to start.

Please JL keep him in next week!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back