Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

I preface this by saying I've seen roughly 2 minutes of his highlights, and a passing glance at the few minutes he played in pre-season.

• He knows how to judge the ball in flight.
  • He understands how to combat physical contact and body positioning in an aerial contest.
That puts him ahead of every other tall forward on our list.

He appeared "a little short for a stormtrooper" in the practice game - and I assume his endurance is also way down on AFL requirements due to his non-elite pathway background. I read comments pre-draft he was slow and lacking agility, but he seemed to find space ok in the forward line - perhaps another sign of his good vision/reading the play.

He sounds like a footballer, not an athlete. The sort that as soon as he gets his athletic traits to a minimum acceptable standard, he can contribute to seniors. Perhaps an understudy watching Gunston this year, while he builds fitness (Ramsden still next in line to the 22) with a view to debuting in 25?

Fair bit of Brody Mihocek in that description. Would be a dream outcome for us and Calsher for him to enjoy the same career trajectory.

Can we please somehow fast-track the development of he and McCabe? Our backline is a mess and I get the very strong feeling Chol is simply a stopgap....

Look I’m big on Calsher, history will show that I’ve been watching him since he was in the under 11’s playing with my nephew when I first raised his name on BF as a future FS, and I’ve wanted him to become the player that we all hope he can, I’m just saying that we need to be very patient because he’s very raw and while I know some posters get that, there’s also a few here who will be posting in 3 months time that Calsher “hasn’t shown much at Box Hill” because people lose sight of a young tall players development.

Be prepared for him to not do too much this year and if he shows more we can be very pleased.

You were saying all last season till the end you didn’t think he would get drafted .

You were saying all last season till the end you didn’t think he would get drafted .
He was probably touch and go to be drafted all year. He came on very late and we picked him right at the end of the draft.

He was going to be taken as a rookie at best, should he not have improved like he did and gain the interest of GWS and Bombers amongst others pre-draft.

This has been explained a few times to you now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see our future forward line looking like this, fingers X

F: Watson Lewis Moore
H: Dear Ramsden Ginnivan
A couple of caveats on the following post below:
- Chol continues 1.5-2 goals a game. - Dear continues trajectory of improvement. I give each an 80% chance.

Lewis - if he doesn’t get on the park consistently this season and put up +40 goals I’d be inclined to trade him while his value is high.

I have rated Lewis highly since his first/second season but he just hasn’t put it together.

If rumours of a JUH play are true it makes his position especially tenuous if the first two conditions play out.

People won’t like this but it’s optimal.

Dear is gonna change a lot of our plans about the forward line imo.

- Chol continues 1.5-2 goals a game. - Dear continues trajectory of improvement. I give each an 80% chance.

Lewis - if he doesn’t get on the park consistently this season and put up +40 goals I’d be inclined to trade him while his value is high.

I have rated Lewis highly since his first/second season but he just hasn’t put it together.

If rumours of a JUH play are true it makes his position especially tenuous if the first two conditions play out.

Hasn't JUH re-signed with the Dogs

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with Lewis, I know this won’t go down well in here but I’d even see what we could get for Nash as a RFA if we finish in the bottom 5 and Hardwick also.

As we need to mix it up in the midfield as there is a lot of the same in there.

I agree with Lewis, I know this won’t go down well in here but I’d even see what we could get for Nash as a RFA if we finish in the bottom 5 and Hardwick also.

As we need to mix it up in the midfield as there is a lot of the same in there.
I don't think anyone should be upset at the prospect our looking to trade players if they as individuals and the team in general appear to be stagnating at the end of this season. And it's the players in the 25-30 group who we should be closely reviewing because chances are by the end of 2024 we will know what the ceiling is for each. If Lewis gets his mojo back then we'd obviously keep him and I wouldn't bet against him doing so just yet. I'd like to keep Scrim because he's only 25 and filling a really important role very well for us at the moment. I think we'd need a very tempting offer to give up Worps too, given we have a very young midfield group without him. And Sis has to stay. But I'd look at all the others and be open to trading any one of them. I'd take a second-rounder for Hardwick in the hope of getting a match-influencing ruck in the draft. Hardwick is a very good player but you have to give to get, and the fact is that by the time Day and Weddle and that age-group are peaking, he'll be getting on. I suspect he might hit the wall pace-wise pretty quickly in his latter years too, so I don't think it's a bad option to look at what he'd be worth at the end of the year. Maybe Bodie Ryan could replace him? Teams get gun rucks with second round picks and it would be great to secure a big man we can all get behind!

It's amazing to me that we have just one first round draft selection among our 25-30 year olds and just one second rounder, and we traded them both in!!! I think they've done remarkably well considering our list profile!

Watched 360 tonight and Mrs Cherie Dear was on promoting a charity for a brilliant cause moving forward as a legacy for a wonderful player of our club. Now with son Calsher arriving ….. it did bring a tear to my eye. Wishing you all the best young man you are doing your old man proud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn’t get a chance to watch. Overall how did he go?

For a skinny first year player he actually has a presence and hits the pack hard.
Likes the physical stuff, was tackling and chasing.
Seems reasonably nimble for a tall forward although not quick.
Low production at the moment.
Took two good contested marks.
Raw but all signs point to a good forward when he bulks up and builds his tank.

Last edited:
Didn’t get a chance to watch. Overall how did he go?
He looked far closer to an AFL call up than he has any right to be. Strong hands, great second efforts. A very exciting prospect.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Looks a promising kpf but still has a fair way to go. As others have said still a bit low production at present but has strong hands, a good contested mark and kicks well. I wouldn’t expect him to play AFL for a while but if he continues to improve at this rate he could be a good footballer sooner than I think.
I really enjoy watching him as I did his old man.

Paul played a lot of reserves footy before getting a regular gig in the seniors. I reckon Calsher will be playing regular AFL footy as early as mid next year. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he got a few games this year. Seems like a natural third tall forward. Lewis, Chol and Dear will stretch any backline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back