Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't have thought that Essendon VFL have much of a backline. I'd park any grand ideas that Calsher is going to kick 3-4 every week.

You poop at parties.
There are some big wraps on the kid from our coaches. They expect him to surprise this season. His issue will be recovery as he throws himself at the contest and has a great set of hands. Has a reasonable tank and quite quick and agile for his size

I wouldn't have thought that Essendon VFL have much of a backline. I'd park any grand ideas that Calsher is going to kick 3-4 every week.
I don't think people are expecting him to kick 3-4 every week but kicking 4 is a great effort.
He's been able to step up yet another level when people have been cynical about whether he could make the step up and each time he's been able to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look I’m big on Calsher, history will show that I’ve been watching him since he was in the under 11’s playing with my nephew when I first raised his name on BF as a future FS, and I’ve wanted him to become the player that we all hope he can, I’m just saying that we need to be very patient because he’s very raw and while I know some posters get that, there’s also a few here who will be posting in 3 months time that Calsher “hasn’t shown much at Box Hill” because people lose sight of a young tall players development.

Be prepared for him to not do too much this year and if he shows more we can be very pleased.

Reading the boxhill twitter feed seems like Dear had a big hand in a couple of goals.

"Dear spots up Dre at the top of the square"
"Calsher Dear and Harry Morrison combine to pressure and create the turnover, and Meeky does the rest"

That's the sign of a player who will make it, a youngster on the right side of the Newcombe curve.
I like that but a capital C makes it even better: the Newcombe Curve.

Hopefully a better predictor than the Laffer Curve!

Look I’m big on Calsher, history will show that I’ve been watching him since he was in the under 11’s playing with my nephew when I first raised his name on BF as a future FS, and I’ve wanted him to become the player that we all hope he can, I’m just saying that we need to be very patient because he’s very raw and while I know some posters get that, there’s also a few here who will be posting in 3 months time that Calsher “hasn’t shown much at Box Hill” because people lose sight of a young tall players development.

Be prepared for him to not do too much this year and if he shows more we can be very pleased.
Level headed and measured post. I fear you will get crucified with this approach here.

The kid has some tricks and is learning, let him smash the door down before throwing him into AFL too soon. Even if we desperately need somebody who can play at CHB and relieve Sis

Level headed and measured post. I fear you will get crucified with this approach here.

The kid has some tricks and is learning, let him smash the door down before throwing him into AFL too soon. Even if we desperately need somebody who can play at CHB and relieve Sis
He is not playing CHB. The reference was to him surprising at Box hill given how far he is come in 12 - 18 months

Why you say Raw what do you mean exactly?

He's been playing since he's at least 11 and grown up in the game so probably just long as any draftee.

Do you just mean because he's a KPP that doesn't yet have the big frame needed to play at AFL level?

Or the fact that he had minimal opportunity in the Talent league so spent most weeks kicking bags at beaumaris instead of developing against the best?

I think in the practice matches for Hawthorn and Box Hill he's shown he as talent. Just needs to get his body there.

I preface this by saying I've seen roughly 2 minutes of his highlights, and a passing glance at the few minutes he played in pre-season.

• He knows how to judge the ball in flight.
  • He understands how to combat physical contact and body positioning in an aerial contest.
That puts him ahead of every other tall forward on our list.

He appeared "a little short for a stormtrooper" in the practice game - and I assume his endurance is also way down on AFL requirements due to his non-elite pathway background. I read comments pre-draft he was slow and lacking agility, but he seemed to find space ok in the forward line - perhaps another sign of his good vision/reading the play.

He sounds like a footballer, not an athlete. The sort that as soon as he gets his athletic traits to a minimum acceptable standard, he can contribute to seniors. Perhaps an understudy watching Gunston this year, while he builds fitness (Ramsden still next in line to the 22) with a view to debuting in 25?

Calsher is a developing KPF who kicked 4 goals in a Box Hill practice match and there are calls to play him at CHB!!!!!!
Let’s let him develop his game at Box Hill until he is ready. It is unrealistic to assume he can play KPD in the AFL at this time.
He is a promising project player ffs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back