Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Fergus Greene

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope he does well for us, but I think a good comparison would be Kris Barlow

A handy player in an average side, but not required when we are competing for silverware
Barlow would have been another Osborne/Suckling/Duryea
Certainly talented enough to merit a spot in our premiership teams, even if as the last man selected.
He was a decent athlete, versatile, good hands and an excellent kick.
I made the same comparison earlier, calling Greene a "fat Kris Barlow" but only bc of the body-shape.
Barlow was an underrated talent IMO

Love Ferg for no other reason than he looks like an 80s game show host.
I think he also looks like he should be wearing a monocle in a Dickens story, possibly saying things like "I say...Spiffing!!"

Last edited:
I think he also looks like he should be wearing a monocle in a Dickens story, possibly saying things like "I say...Spiffing!!"

"Tell you what old chap, be a sport and let me get some separation next forward 50 entry - that would be quite corking!"

More Wodehouse than Dickens methinks!
"By Jove, that feller can run like the wind. Oh! I say! A bout of fisticuffs up on the wing, what? Time to get stuck in, chaps!"

Frankly, I'd love to see an entire game of footy called in this style.

Moore and Wingard are the only experienced medium HFF forwards we have on the list right now.

And Moore will probably play 70% midfield this year and honestly who knows how much gametime Chad will manage next year (I hope a lot but I wouldn't bet my house on it)

Plenty of opportunity for Fergus to play a lot of games straight away next year.

As you say he is ready to go and I am a big fan of picking up players in their early twenties who have a couple of years under their belt at VFL/WAFL/SANFL level, they can slot straight into the senior side and start contributing immediately (Blank, Duke, Bramble, etc)

In fact I wished we did these kinds of selections more often, I reckon you get a greater hit rate than the national draft.
Sam has spoken with Dylan and told him he will be playing predominantly as a high half forward this year, straight from the horse's mouth. It's such a tough spot to play and Dylan plays it beautifully. Much easier to develop a pure mid than find a for/mid as good as Dylan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam has spoken with Dylan and told him he will be playing predominantly as a high half forward this year, straight from the horse's mouth. It's such a tough spot to play and Dylan plays it beautifully. Much easier to develop a pure mid than find a for/mid as good as Dylan.
Interesting, I had Dylan pencilled in as our starting rover for 2023 but seems that wont be the case. I see the logic in this though as you are right HFF is a bugger of a spot and Moore plays it to perfection.

Means there will be even more spots available in the midfield for those that put their hand up.

I want to see more of Moore in the guts also but I wonder if Gunston's departure has meant we need Moore to hit the scoreboard more. Hopefully the Ferg can hit the ground running and chip in up forward and allow Moore to keep getting midfield minutes.

Plans will change. Once we start getting overrun in the middle Sam will throw him in there to change up the dynamic. He was so good at it in the back half of 2022 that I'd be stunned if he doesn't spend some long periods as a full time mid. It may not be in the first month of the season, but it will happen.

Plans will change. Once we start getting overrun in the middle Sam will throw him in there to change up the dynamic. He was so good at it in the back half of 2022 that I'd be stunned if he doesn't spend some long periods as a full time mid. It may not be in the first month of the season, but it will happen.
I'd argue that now Mitch and JOM have left we only really have two A grade midfielders in Newk and Moore so he will have to play in the midfield at times just due to this fact alone.

It's a tough one as it really it's a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul when you move Dylan from HFF into the middle.

Was reliably kicking early goals in the first half of the season. Then started spending more time in the middle and started to go goalless.

I'd like to see him spending more time up forward early in games as those early goals are great at settling the team and getting things going our way. Then he can move further up the ground and gas his opponent with his running power. At which point he might be able to add to his goal tally again simply because his opponent can't go with him.

Was reliably kicking early goals in the first half of the season. Then started spending more time in the middle and started to go goalless.

I'd like to see him spending more time up forward early in games as those early goals are great at settling the team and getting things going our way. Then he can move further up the ground and gas his opponent with his running power. At which point he might be able to add to his goal tally again simply because his opponent can't go with him.

Whilst parts of that are indeed true, remember that his move into the midfield also coincided with our longest winning sequence of the season. We had a very competitive end to the season if you remove that Richmond game.

Perhaps if two of Greene, Brockman and Butler become consistent, best 22 players and regular goal kickers it will allow Moorey to play in the middle more often.

Whilst parts of that are indeed true, remember that his move into the midfield also coincided with our longest winning sequence of the season. We had a very competitive end to the season if you remove that Richmond game.

Perhaps if two of Greene, Brockman and Butler become consistent, best 22 players and regular goal kickers it will allow Moorey to play in the middle more often.
I'd be happy with him playing the first 10 minutes of the game up forward and then spending the rest as a mid. He was just so good at sneaking a goal.

But from what little I've seen of Greene he is similarly good at sneaking goals, so maybe it won't matter.

It was also our easiest run of three games by far and we should have won all three. The St Kilda and Tigers game showed we still had a way to go.

I’m also not sure Greene and Moore are going for the same spot. Moore offers a lot more than Greene both defensively and as a forward threat.

It was also our easiest run of three games by far and we should have won all three. The St Kilda and Tigers game showed we still had a way to go.

I’m also not sure Greene and Moore are going for the same spot. Moore offers a lot more than Greene both defensively and as a forward threat.

Agree to an extent. Two totally different players. We need a mid sized forward which is Greene and Moore is a forward/mid. With the quick ball movement style we play Greene could become a gem with his natural footy instincts as he'll be one on one a lot of the time and become a real forward threat.

Interestingly enough both the St Kilda and Tigers games were games where Moore had stepped back his midfield involvement.

We were essentially in * around mode for those games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back