Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to intrude

Ginnivan fan here… watching him tonight for the first time as a hawks player

As you are all seeing he has sublime skills and poise on his right side in particular… limited player in some other aspects… but will have a 30 goals plus season this year

Seems to be working hard… hopefully he stays trouble free
Interested what you see as his limitations and whether at his age he can correct them ?

He looks very fit. His pushing up the ground and working back with the link up is going to have huge benefits, when alternating with Punky and Wiz.

Looks like has been playing the Moore high hf role. Interesting to see how Moore, ginni and croc co-exist.

Also if it’s too early to make judgements on team / other players based on pre-season form suggest hold back on waiting to see the real stuff starts to see how ginni goes before labelling him a steal. Pies haven’t got many wrong.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What has impressed me most about Ginni so far is his work rate.

We all knew he had the tricks but I didn't expect him to have the ability to work up and down the ground like he has in the pre season matches.

Cant wait to see him play in the regular season, I get the feeling he will become a fan favorite very quickly.

Ginnivan has looked good so far. I knew he was a goal kicker but was pleased to see him cover a lot of ground in the first half. Like all good small forwards he is dangerous even with limited opportunities.
I was surprised at his workrate.
Feel the the pies tried to keep him close to home, and that he wasn't really being utilised properly

He is a rare example of a player wanting to move due to being a childhood one-eyed fan. This usually leads to improvement due to more motivation and we are seeing it already.

I wish Sam Taylor was more one-eyed.

It's like people were too busy hating on Ginnivan to notice he's a really good player.
Happens quite a bit TBH.

Plenty of opposition fans (even quite a few so called footy analysts) took ages to recognise the fact that James Sicily is an absolute gun as they were always bringing up his past indiscretions as a hot headed youth.

Not a bad recruiting trick actually, identify and target players whose talent gets overshadowed by their negative media profile.

Very surprised he left the Pies after winning a flag. I know it's mostly to do with bad relations with Craig McRae and a more lucrative offer by Hawthorn, but do we actually think it's because he's such a Hawks tragic he'd leave a side that's probably going to win the flag 2024 for a young team on the rebuild? Without knowing any details, I actually reckon it could've been a factor, which is pretty much unheard of as obviously player's support for their-once-beloved-club goes out the window the moment they start playing for another*

*With that said, if i ever get recruited by Essendon or Geelong (and being in my 40s, not giving up hope) I'd be doing everything i could to help sabotage games against Hawthorn

Last edited:
Very surprised he left the Pies after winning a flag. I know it's mostly to do with bad relations with Craig McRae and a more lucrative offer by Hawthorn, but do we actually think it's because he's such a Hawks tragic he'd leave a side that's probably going to win the flag 2024 for a young team on the rebuild? Without knowing any details, I actually reckon it could've been a factor, which is pretty much unheard of as obviously player's support for their-once-beloved-club goes out the window the moment they start playing for another*

*With that said, if i ever get recruited by Essendon or Geelong (and being in my 40s, not giving up hope) I'd be doing everything i could to help sabotage games against Hawthorn
Not many players go out of their way in an interview to clarify that they wanted to play for Hawthorn immediately after playing a game for another side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back