Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson!

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to give him a few more games, nerves would have been all time high. Just needs a bit of adjusting to the pace and pressure and he'll nail those shots and be calm enough to notice the pass next time. Also get more involved.

Also I remember in 2016 it wasn't his first game (4th) but Sicily was really poor rd 1 against Geelong. Immediately after the game Clarko told him don't worry you're playing next week. Following week he kicked 4 goals, week after that he kicked 3 including the match winner against the Bulldogs.

I don't understand what people want from him.

Imagine expecting a kid in the toughest position on the ground to just start banging them in from day dot. Everybody is learning. It's a new forward line!
Small forward isn’t really the “toughest position on the ground” is it?

It might be a position where you aren’t able to influence the game consistently from week-to-week, but frankly I think playing one-on-one against Charlie Curnow or Buddy back in the day is a slightly harder gig than opportunistic crumbing forward. 😉

I think it will be a year for Nick to learn how to play 4th - 6th banana in a forward line.

In juniors he was so clearly the most talented, so at Caulfield and Eastern he demanded the pill, and got it a lot!

Stepping up to AFL level requires him to adjust to a different level of focus, and perhaps to be a little more selfless at times.

It might be a position where you aren’t able to influence the game consistently from week-to-week, but frankly I think playing one-on-one against Charlie Curnow or Buddy back in the day is a slightly harder gig than opportunistic crumbing forward. 😉

I think it will be a year for Nick to learn how to play 4th - 6th banana in a forward line.

In juniors he was so clearly the most talented, so at Caulfield and Eastern he demanded the pill, and got it a lot!

Stepping up to AFL level requires him to adjust to a different level of focus, and perhaps to be a little more selfless at times.
Have you ever played footy? Small forward is definitely the hardest position on the ground.

One thing i was impressed with which didn’t translate in his stat line was his pressure. Was surprised to see he’d only had 2 tackles, at the game you could see he was really chasing and pressuring with purpose. We don’t have a lot of pressure forwards so that would be a huge addition. I think the offensive stuff will come with a little more exposure at the level.

This is literally missing the whole point of why small forward is the hardest position on the ground.

Those two you mention are drawing the ball all day, and their opponents are the best defenders on their team, and are in a position to impact multiple contests every quarter.

Small forwards have to work their ass off and be almost perfect just to get in the frame, let alone impact the contest.

Looks at how many small forwards were rookies or almost delisted before making it. It's a hard and unforgiving position.

One thing i was impressed with which didn’t translate in his stat line was his pressure. Was surprised to see he’d only had 2 tackles, at the game you could see he was really chasing and pressuring with purpose. We don’t have a lot of pressure forwards so that would be a huge addition. I think the offensive stuff will come with a little more exposure at the level.
Set up Worpel's goal with that tackle

Looks at how many small forwards were rookies or almost delisted before making it. It's a hard and unforgiving position.
Stephen Milne is one of the best small forwards we have seen.

He was hardly the hardest worker, nor was he known for defensive efforts, nor was he a student of the game. He was a very clever, selfish little pest.

As I said, it can be a position where you can be starved of opportunities no doubt, but I personally don’t think it’s the hardest position to play in the ground. FWIW - I played senior local footy and coached VFL & TAC.

Frankly - the hardest spot on the ground IMHO is high / medium sized half forward.

Sometimes you’re a hit up marking option, sometimes you’re pushing to the stoppages between the arcs at ground level, sometimes you’re running forward to crumb, link up, or get one out the back, sometimes you’re defending a half back who wants to roll off you to intercept mark, or piss off from you between the arcs on turnovers.

There’s heaps more decisions you need to make in a game of AFL in that position than as a deep small forward.

Anyhow, each to their own and I’m sure Nick will find his groove. I wasn’t critical of him because it’s his first game. He will be much better for the run.

We need to give him a few more games, nerves would have been all time high. Just needs a bit of adjusting to the pace and pressure and he'll nail those shots and be calm enough to notice the pass next time. Also get more involved.

Also I remember in 2016 it wasn't his first game (4th) but Sicily was really poor rd 1 against Geelong. Immediately after the game Clarko told him don't worry you're playing next week. Following week he kicked 4 goals, week after that he kicked 3 including the match winner against the Bulldogs.
Disagree - clearly overawed on the big stage and struggled to impact. Should go back to Box Hill and get used to playing on bigger mature bodies at the lower level. Feel like Watson has been hyped up far too much both internally and externally. Needs to earn his stripes at Box Hill and should be dropped

Disagree - clearly overawed on the big stage and struggled to impact. Should go back to Box Hill and get used to playing on bigger mature bodies at the lower level. Feel like Watson has been hyped up far too much both internally and externally. Needs to earn his stripes at Box Hill and should be dropped
First game of afl footy in front of 73k at the g, missed his shots but had a few great defensive efforts. Mitchell was gushing about him post game and we’re clearly heavily invested in having mutiple small forwards in our forward setup. Playing as many games as possible with breust and Ginnivan as mentors will be by far the best thing for his development going forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want to see him dropped, but he's the obvious candidate based on impact.

He did seem a little overawed and obviously just couldn't work himself into the game.

I think the media hype unfairly built up the expectations early. He is literally the smallest player in the league, and as so many pointed out playing against kids in the TAC is completely different to playing against grown men in the AFL. But then again Watson seems to be the kind of person that will take it in his stride.

On a side note - I love that he really launched himself at players though, and one passage of play both he and Chol created a goal for us.

Last edited:
He was overawed no doubt. Yeah the slip over is a worry read Brishawks post that this is something that happened in his junior career which isn’t great.

I don’t mind players having down ones on debut I think it keeps them focused.

I'll be honest when i saw him get the handball on the boundary i thought to myself what a way to bring up your first goal in afl footy. He was so close. Just needs to kick that first goal and he will be away

I think he has to get a second game, after that i am happy to send him back to VFL if we feel he isn't quite ready.

Not gonna judge a kid on one game where lets be honest the game was lost elsewhere. This season is about developing players and i think if we are going to lean one way i would rather it be towards getting game time in to the kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back