Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

It was obvious they were one pillar propping up Collingwood in 22 and 23. Great players with great leadership and some of the smartest footy brains going, but shocking how much they're squibbing it this year. Not really sure why. Collingwood basically relies on them, the Daicos bros, Moore, Quaynor etc. McCreary, Hill etc is more the cream on the top. Their bottom half is bottom 4 quality.

Everyone’s bottom 4-6 looks crap when you are losing. Usually they are role players who look good when the star players are playing well and everyone is buying into a system and working hard.

People said our bottom 6 was crap last year, until they weren’t, now Kingy and co in the media say we have scary depth. I’m sure if we lose a few quickly it will be talked about again that our bottom 6 are no good.

Problem or possibly good thing at the moment for the pies is it looks like a collective problem, everyone looks way down on their 2022/23 output. It could be good in that once a switch flicks they will be back, or bad in that there are so many players and areas of their game lacking, it’s a big task.

Even if they bomb this year and finish 13th or something they will still have at least a few games where it all clicks into gear again and they look really good.

Everyone’s bottom 4-6 looks crap when you are losing. Usually they are role players who look good when the star players are playing well and everyone is buying into a system and working hard.

People said our bottom 6 was crap last year, until they weren’t, now Kingy and co in the media say we have scary depth. I’m sure if we lose a few quickly it will be talked about again that our bottom 6 are no good.

Problem or possibly good thing at the moment for the pies is it looks like a collective problem, everyone looks way down on their 2022/23 output. It could be good in that once a switch flicks they will be back, or bad in that there are so many players and areas of their game lacking, it’s a big task.

Even if they bomb this year and finish 13th or something they will still have at least a few games where it all clicks into gear again and they look really good.
I think it is definitely partly hunger and motivation, but also teams have begun to work them out. GWS etc last year showed how to do it. Collingwood can't play the same style they did last year and look a million bucks because teams aren't allowing it, so its not solely that theyre worse, as if everyone hasn't adjusted. Their style relies on turnovers and a few key defenders (Moore, Quaynor, Murphy, Howe rebounding), which has been largely nullified. Last night when the Pies were coming Saints last year would've probably got a fright and lay down, but Ross is a master coach and wae able to nullify it. But yes, Pies skills and effort down a bit. It's all a complex interrelationship of things.

Pendlebury and Sidebottom are one foot over the cliff - terrible last night.
Probably don't have the drive, after their premiership. I should have seen this coming, for some reason I thought they had another year, but I did look at their list and it was one of the oldest, it's almost an identical situation to last year's reigning premiers Geelong's 2023 performance, both have the oldest lists.

It is that mentality that has kept them behind Carlton and Essendon for so long.
Yep.

Some imagined mentality of an entire supporter base is the exact reason as to why Collingwood have 'only' won the premiership 16 times from the 43 occasions they have finished in the top 2 teams in the competition.

Is it that mentality that enables the club to consistently perform beyond it's ability, to regularly contend for premierships despite never spending decades at the bottom of the ladder accumulating high draft picks with their wooden spoons?

I really don't understand why the Pies are trying to make him an inside player.
He has endurance, decent pace, he knows how to find space and he's elite by foot. He should be sitting outside packs waiting for the handball and roaming between the arcs.
He's the one you want exiting D50 and entering F50, not trying to tackle man mountains. In a Blues game last year, Cripps was trying to exit a stoppage and looking for the easiest way out. He went straight towards Nick.
In his 50 games so far, he hasn't got a single contested mark. Not sure how many players that happens to? Especially ones that come straight into the side round 1, playing 80+% game time and racking up their 50th 3 games into his 3rd season.

I see Walsh as more of an outside player, but I haven't seen him shirk a contest like Daicos has. Walsh also doesn't get a lot of contested marks, but he had 8 in his 1st 50 games.

Don't get me wrong, I think Daicos is a VERY good player (slightly overhyped) and will be for a long time, but he's not an inside player.
Play to your strengths.
Walsh back with the flight mark of the year is something you won’t see in daicos’s entire career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood fans were quite chirpy pre season about how much better they were than the Blues, but have abandoned the thread as soon as Round 0 began. Sad.
We can make this thread our own. Happy to keep the banter amongst the Blue Brethren even though it's only round 2 . Actually thought they'd put up more of a fight.

We can make this thread our own. Happy to keep the banter amongst the Blue Brethren even though it's only round 2 . Actually thought they'd put up more of a fight.
And another one. There's nothing more pathetic than posters who did a Harry Houdini last year incorrectly accusing opposition posters of being as spineless as they actually were when things weren't looking so rosy.

'Imagining'.

I don't recall seeing you around these parts in the 2023 equivalent thread when the going was tough for Carlton last year...

Quite the opposite actually. Most of my posts in the 2023 equivalent were when the times were tough (March - late May). Only made 1 post in July and didn’t feel the need to rub in how good we are in those later rounds.

Doubtful. So no posting in June at the depths of Carlton's despair?

Not doubtful. It just takes a simple thread search (which I have also conducted myself as well) to see that my statement is correct.

June was good. We beat Gold Coast, lost to Melbourne (who were a Top 4 quality team) and lost to Essendon (who are no pushovers either). Nothing to complain about there.

And another one. There's nothing more pathetic than posters who did a Harry Houdini last year incorrectly accusing opposition posters of being as spineless as they actually were when things weren't looking so rosy.
Why are you here exactly ?
It's about who is better in 2024 ! Stick to the topic please

Why are you here exactly ?
It's about who is better in 2024 ! Stick to the topic please

He’s basically trying to argue that we are hypocrites highlighting that Collingwood fans have disappeared in this thread as we apparently disappeared last year when the times were tough. Not only is that a big logical fallacy on his part, but it is also untrue.

He’s basically trying to argue that we are hypocrites highlighting that Collingwood fans have disappeared in this thread as we apparently disappeared last year when the times were tough. Not only is that a big logical fallacy on his part, but it is also untrue.
I've been waiting for his logical response on his theory of probability but I'm sure his whiteboard has been scrubbed out over the past month , so I'm no longer holding my breath

'Imagining'.

I don't recall seeing you around these parts in the 2023 equivalent thread when the going was tough for Carlton last year...

Don't recall you sticking your head up in 2021. Am I doing it right?

I mean a couple of other pie supporters have completely disappeared from this thread

Back