Traded Will Brodie [traded with #19, #61, #69 to Fremantle for F2, F4]

Remove this Banner Ad

What are the main concerns about Brodie? Pace? Kicking?
Pace, endurance and kicking.

Think JPK.

Clubs have moved away from the JPK type of mids and prefer your inside/outside mids like Macrae/Amon/Mcluggage or inside/fwd mids like Petracca/Bont/Dusty. Still think he has a role to play tho.

Think JPK.

Clubs have moved away from the JPK type of mids and prefer your inside/outside mids like Macrae/Amon/Mcluggage or inside/fwd mids like Petracca/Bont/Dusty. Still think he has a role to play tho.

Yeah pretty much this.

Dew didn’t play him because he was too slow off the spread, then tried to turn him into a forward to fit him in.

Played some good football this year in the VFL. Just needs a chance could do Mundy’s role when he retires, whenever that may be.

I’ll be watching freo games to see how he goes, behind Greenwood, Rowell & Swallow in that role

Macpherson had a 300x3 which is backended next year for 400k

Brodie signed 400x4 Which is also backended to be around 500k
Where did you get Brodie salary from? As far as his last contract, he extended by 2 years in 2019 while still having one year to go on the current contract.

Think JPK.

Brodie's kick is actually pretty good and he can also mark.

Where did you get Brodie salary from? As far as his last contract, he extended by 2 years in 2019 while still having one year to go on the current contract.

Ah yes forgot he re-extended again. That was his rookie extension with Bowes Ainsworth scrimshaw.

Wouldn’t know the numbers then

Yeah pretty much this.

Dew didn’t play him because he was too slow off the spread, then tried to turn him into a forward to fit him in.

Played some good football this year in the VFL. Just needs a chance could do Mundy’s role when he retires, whenever that may be.

I’ll be watching freo games to see how he goes, behind Greenwood, Rowell & Swallow in that role
hmmm, a big part of Mundy is elite kicking, which I don't expect from Brodie.

hmmm, a big part of Mundy is elite kicking, which I don't expect from Brodie.
It's a nothing to lose trade. Get him in there kicking and running laps and see how a former no9 pick goes. Vfl form shows he can get the ball just needs to improve disposals and fitness which is fine in my books

It's a nothing to lose trade. Get him in there kicking and running laps and see how a former no9 pick goes. Vfl form shows he can get the ball just needs to improve disposals and fitness which is fine in my books

I’m in on giving this guy a chance. More so, because it seems we’re getting pick 19 and that unlocks everything.

I just cringe when a player has been in the system for 5 or so years and comments like ‘just needs to improve disposal and fitness’ are made. I’m sure he’s been made aware of his deficiencies. He’s getting $400k a year to work on them and hasn’t.

Will be interesting how it play out. I’m just seriously hoping Gold Coast have fallen way short of developing him.

Rankine was the one for me that I just thought would be the next big thing and he’s stalled quicker than Dogs did at the 17 minute mark of the 3rd term in GF.

I really like Brodie and every year I think he’ll have a break out season.

Hope he lands at Freo and does well, although I’m clearly no great judge.

Last edited:
I’m in on giving this guy a chance. More so, because it seems we’re getting pick 19 and that unlocks everything.

I just cringe when a player has been in the system for 5 or so years and comments like ‘just needs to improve disposal and fitness’ are made. I’m sure he’s been made aware of his deficiencies. He’s getting $400k a year to work on them and hasn’t.

Will be interesting how it play out. I’m just seriously hoping Gold Coast have fallen way short of developing him.

Rankine was the one for me that I just thought would be the next big thing and he’s stalled quicker than Dogs did at the 17 minute mark of the 3rd term in GF.

Not replying to this post in particular but just throwing my 2 bobs worth in, and it's probably not worth too much as I reside in Thailand and aren't privy to most AFL stuff.
BUT........as I see it, as far as development of the younger players is concerned. It's just been a bridge too far....prior to joining the VFL for our reserves, we played in the NEAFL, a sub standard comp (compared to SANFL, WAFL, VFL) where development of any young players to AFL standard was near impossible......
We were then invited to join the VFL, and hallelujah, surely we will now see improvement in the young fellas, and we did at the beginning.. then Covid struck and VFL was cancelled, and our blokes along with most other reserves were playing scratch matches 12 v 12, 15 v 15. etc. The difference being, our blokes were coming from a NEAFL experience, while 14 of the other Clubs were coming from VFL WAFL SANFL experience, and in my opinion, our young blokes are lacking that development, thru no fault of their own, nor of the Coaches who were doing their best.
Hopefully in the future the VFL comes back on a full time basis and we can develop the young 'uns as they should be.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what an absolute joke of a trade. like the north melbourne deal, this should never have been allowed by the afl under their rules.

might as well just throw the rulebook out now and allow salary cap space trading.

I don't get why it's a massive issue? It's happening between clubs 11 and 16 (16 and 18 if it was us) when FA's are regularly going to clubs in the window, not sure why it's causing so much angst?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back