Free Agency Zac Williams [joins Carlton as an RFA for a 1st round compensation pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

What else are North going to use the money on? There's still a salary floor, isn't there? The only thing they'd have to lose is one or two draft positions.
If they could front end a deal as well it'd be especially good for them, leave those last few years more open for when guys like Simpkin, Thomas and LDU are really coming along

What else are North going to use the money on? There's still a salary floor, isn't there? The only thing they'd have to lose is one or two draft positions.
I guess that's why it's unlikely a free agent would choose a club in North's position. This is not a criticism of North by any means. If I was them I'd be going hard for guys like Caldwell, Narkle, Constable and so forth who are more in that age bracket. Bring through a bunch of kids, top up with cheap fillers and then in a few years get in the big guns.

I know Carlton have proved nothing yet but we went with this strategy. Got Setterfield, Kennedy, Plowman, Marchbank while they were young, got some cheap top ups to fill a gap, went hard at the draft and now we are in the position to attract free agents.

I guess that's why it's unlikely a free agent would choose a club in North's position. This is not a criticism of North by any means. If I was them I'd be going hard for guys like Caldwell, Narkle, Constable and so forth who are more in that age bracket. Bring through a bunch of kids, top up with cheap fillers and then in a few years get in the big guns.

I know Carlton have proved nothing yet but we went with this strategy. Got Setterfield, Kennedy, Plowman, Marchbank while they were young, got some cheap top ups to fill a gap, went hard at the draft and now we are in the position to attract free agents.

26 is not the right age bracket ??

I would think a top 26 year old is perfect for literally every level of team development.

26 is not the right age bracket ??

I would think a top 26 year old is perfect for literally every level of team development.
By the time the draftees have developed he would be 30. Wouldnt you rather go to a club who has a solid list of players between 22-28?

Considering Williams is a RFA, will Carlton still want him if GWS Match?
I doubt we match, not really our style to be assholes for the sake of it. If we did I guess it'd depend on who their other trade targets are, if there are any

Think it makes a lot of sense for both sides. Always rated Williams as a player but thought last season when he moved into the middle more he went to another level.

I'm sure the salary cap issues at GWS was the main reason for the move but I'm sure the allure of midfield opportunities would've played a part.

Yep a good get for us as we desperately need some speed in our midfield.

I don't actually think Williams is an 'A grader' but a very good player who will have his 'A grade' moments. But that's all we need him to be to compliment Cripps, Walsh etc.

Williams will get the midfield time he desires and would still be getting well paid by us, even if it is quite a bit less than North's offer.

By the time the draftees have developed he would be 30. Wouldnt you rather go to a club who has a solid list of players between 22-28?

Draftees dont take 5 years to develop. Teams which take 5 years end up taking 10 or 20. So why even recruit at all?

An actual winning plan would focus on taking 3 or 4 years.

Plus, surely you actually want quality experienced players to be there with the developing players. And 30 isnt old. Hawkins is 32 and won the Coleman. Easily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that our offer or North’s?
Tom Browne said on 7 news Willians is set to Join Carlton on $900k a year. He didn’t mention North or any other club.

If he gets band 1 compo its not worth matching.
It'd be petty of us, Band 1 is 2 picks after Carltons first rounder and there's no guarantee they'd pursue a trade especially if the Saad talk turns into anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back