Autopsy Geelong loses to Sydney by 17 points at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have been great to see how GH-S, in last week's form, would have gone on Kennedy.

No, every game we've lost someone + lost three in WCEs' game. If the injuries keep happening, GFC will be deputising posters from here to play lol

How much depth do we have left in VFL to keep covering injuries?

GHS toweled up Kennedy last time the two played in the same game- was a defining moment for him I thought. From what CS was saying post match that was in the plans for yesterday too.

VFL- here's the quandry. The guys left in the VFL to cover any more losses are probably no where near AFL standard yet- our injury list is that bad. We're in deep manure on this if anything more happens.

blicavs would of been sacked 100 times by now if we sacked a player everytime they had a play like that. sh*** ive seen plays like that where its rolled through blicavs legs. at least murdoch got his body behind it. stewart had 3 worse plays like that in a single qtr against the crows last year. should we have delisted him too?
Ha ha every road leads to the Blitz with you :p

I don't agree. Definitely showed something last year, which he looked ok preseason.

The last two games are definitely not up to standard. However, there are a lot of very well payed and higher calibre players that also went missing in that first and last quarter.

So he wasn't alone.
And therin lies the problem. We have too many young talented players gifted games regardless of form now which is making them stall in their development. Parsons and Cockatoo both looked better last year. Thurlow and Gregson were better before they got injured. The best year for Cam Guthrie was 2013 where he played as back pocket. Since then he has been played as a midfielder where he has been ok without getting huge numbers yet is treated like a senior player with automatic selection. His poor games are ignored by the MC.
Kelly is the best of the youngsters this year but what makes everyone think hes going to develop? Based on the last 5 or so years of developing players he may not improve at all

A certain number of posters who complain about people melting sure are melting today.

whilst the last qtr was awful i didnt think the overall game was that bad. certainly not as bad as the loses against hawthorn and west coast which were coaching and mc disasters. When you lose a player at qtr time and have 8 first 22 players out its very tough.

so in the past 24 hours have you claimed that stanley should be kicked out of the club whilst also claiming we shouldnt play smtih?
No I stated why Smith hasn’t played til now. That should change on Friday.

A certain number of posters who complain about people melting sure are melting today.

whilst the last qtr was awful i didnt think the overall game was that bad. certainly not as bad as the loses against hawthorn and west coast which were coaching and mc disasters. When you lose a player at qtr time and have 8 first 22 players out its very tough.
WC was also a rotation issue - were we not 2 down in that game?

The thing that annoys us mostly is his wrestling which he initiates; then argues with the umpire when he's no where near the contest. The third man up then easily marks without anyone competing.

Fed up with this attitude.
And how long has this been going on for? Seems like years now. With all the highly paid psycologists, coaches, sports scientists and leadership groups at the club nothing changes.

And some people don't adapt well to the VFL nor can they wash a car. BUT with some tuition might turn into an ok ruck player. Perhaps worth a try by leaving him in!!!!!!!!!

Quite frankly, it was really harsh to drop Smith after Rd1. While it's difficult for me to criticise players, Stanley isn't up to #1 Ruck. Thought he was a little better last week, showed glimpses in Q2 yesterday, but just went to water. Stanley has had four games to prove himself. Time to give Smith a string of games to prove himself. It's crucial to give players a run of games to prove their worth. I'm really anti all that chopping + changing. It takes time for a team to become cohesive.

I swear people just see what they want to see.

Tom has decent numbers for a forward for tackles and 1%ers and elite numbers for score involvement, marks and contested marks. Plus you only have to actually watch the game to see him working 10x harder than, say, Stanley or until this season Menzel.
You know the game has definatly changed when full forwards are judged on assists and score involvements. These stats come from soccer and dont really apply in australian rules. Just call them disposals. I swear these new stats are invented just to make players look better - 'metres gained' is my pet hate.
I wonder how much defensive pressure Lockett and Dunstall had?
Lets face it apart from Buddy there is no full forward who regularly kicks goals from 60+ metres anymore. The game is a joke.
Tom Hawkins was ok yesterday in kicking 2 goals 2 behinds. Hes not the reason the cats lost. But dont start talking up his game by bringing up meaningless stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know the game has definatly changed when full forwards are judged on assists and score involvements. These stats come from soccer and dont really apply in australian rules. Just call them disposals. I swear these new stats are invented just to make players look better - 'metres gained' is my pet hate.
I wonder how much defensive pressure Lockett and Dunstall had?
Lets face it apart from Buddy there is no full forward who regularly kicks goals from 60+ metres anymore. The game is a joke.
Tom Hawkins was ok yesterday in kicking 2 goals 2 behinds. Hes not the reason the cats lost. But dont start talking up his game by bringing up meaningless stats.

The FF has one, primary role, and that’s not to assist others. It’s to be there to kick the goals.

You don’t have a FF if he doesn’t do that.

Absolutely, a little strange they didn't choose Crameri as we were lacking firepower but other than that when we lost Menzel, S.Selwood and Parfitt on top of everyone else I never expected to win.

It was just gutting because we were in a position to win. I think it was more a case of the younger players tiring and not being able to adhere to our structures and game plan rather than a lack of structure/gameplan.

I understand some of our missing players have question marks regarding their longevity but if we get everyone back im confident we have a strong chance this year.

Last edited:
I agree 100% which is the most disappointing thing.
It's similar to Nathan Ablett, had all the talent in the world yet didn't have it in him (mind you plenty don't). Complete waste, likewise our 2 "ruckman".

We’ve leaned towards soft players far too much over the years.

Watching Grundy running around out there today just leaves me shaking my head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back