Play a Showdown in Melbourne says Damien Barrett

Remove this Banner Ad

Insanity is technically the state of being mentally ill, it is also known as being batshit crazy, some people say being sane is insanity. Some people are stupid.
I guess we have to cut Damian Barrett some slack here, being crazy gives you license to treat others like crap, because it's part of the illness.

Only if the Anzac Day match is played in Adelaide in exchange.

Both SA clubs want more games on the MCG, so there's a plus there. That should be fixed by every club gets at least 3 MCG games a year though.
Putting aside the SMA (SANFL) are greedy pigs who wouldn't give up a game at AO, the only way it would work is it'd have to be done at least 2 years, with each club the 'home' side for the MCG game one year, so they get a home AO Showdown the other year.

Ironic that Victorians call Perth and Adelaide insular but they all think the world revolves around Melbourne
Mate, Barrett is an absolute moron, he does not represent the Melbourne community.

Pretty sure the people of Adelaide dont want to fly across to see their showpiece game of SA footy played at a different ground just so some neutrals can get in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a neutral, I would to see a Showdown live, but the whole point is it's a two team town derby played in front of knowledgeable, passionate (verging on rabid) fans. Taking it away from the town itself just reduces the spectacle immeasurably, and defeats my interest in seeing the game live. Not that I probably wouldn't go, but why should the SA fans lose their event to satisfy the curiosity of neutrals? The fact that it's a lockout only adds to the event in Adelaide; if you want in, you will hustle to get there.

I’d probably go. That doesn’t make this a good idea. It is utterly stupid. The game is usually pretty good for neutrals to watch, both teams pretty desperate which is always fun, but the fans are really what makes the showdown and moving it to Melbourne removes that aspect.

I haven't listened to the full audio but it appears to be in relation to getting the Showdown on FTA TV.

The idea that it has to be played in Victoria to get on free to air TV is just ridiculous. Get the Showdown on a Friday or Saturday night channel 7 game because it's a good game, I don't care if it's played in Adelaide or where it's played.

Bizarre Geelong get home games at MCG to avoid fans being locked out but then there is outcry when someone suggests the Showdown be played there.
Thats because Geelong is only an hour away from Melbs.

I don't think it's right but the situations are not the same.

As a neutral, I would to see a Showdown live, but the whole point is it's a two team town derby played in front of knowledgeable, passionate (verging on rabid) fans. Taking it away from the town itself just reduces the spectacle immeasurably, and defeats my interest in seeing the game live. Not that I probably wouldn't go, but why should the SA fans lose their event to satisfy the curiosity of neutrals? The fact that it's a lockout only adds to the event in Adelaide; if you want in, you will hustle to get there.

Mike Sheahan never went to one.

I haven't listened to the full audio but it appears to be in relation to getting the Showdown on FTA TV.

The idea that it has to be played in Victoria to get on free to air TV is just ridiculous. Get the Showdown on a Friday or Saturday night channel 7 game because it's a good game, I don't care if it's played in Adelaide or where it's played.

When the AFL took the Foxtel money it came at a cost, sure you can bludge on them if thats your game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back