Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

If you say so
I'm guessing you've been reading the big footy rumours board.... I bet you believed 12 Collingwood players were going to be banned yesterday too.

Truth is, every time an AFL player has taken leave for mental health issues there have been vicious rumours spread about them. Seems to attract idiots.

The bloke has been battling depression and a bad break up with his mrs.

I'm guessing you've been reading the big footy rumours board.... I bet you believed 12 Collingwood players were going to be banned yesterday too.

Truth is, every time an AFL player has taken leave for mental health issues there have been vicious rumours spread about them. Seems to attract idiots.

The bloke has been battling depression and a bad break up with his mrs.
You believe what you want to believe.

Hannebery and pick 28 for pick 39 and Saints 2019 2nd rounder.

The big difference is Sydney wanted/needed Hannebery's salary off their books and StKilda were willing to take on all of it which got us a discount on him in the trade. Geelong can't afford Steven's full contract so will need StKilda to pay part of it next year which means they will need to offer more on the trade table.
Not necessarily. We're apparently tabling $800k for Kelly

Neither Smith or Abbot have any real trade value though.

Both are only back up rucks and while this is all the Saints need now with Marshall having come out of nowhere, players of equivalent value can be taken from the State Leagues. Saints taking either would be more the Saints helping the Cats out than vice versa.

We only need a ruck who is happy to mainly play at Sandy and to come in if Marshall is injured. Or we go for a younger developing ruck (not a kid).

A Smith Abbott type would just be steakknives we'd probably trade them for pick 70ish etc.

If it was your second rounder then you would expect a young player as well. Not an Abbot or Smith.

Abbot I think is out of contract in 2020? If so we allow you to break his contract by taking him. Allows you to use his contract $$ elsewhere. No other club wants him as he is not a genuine first 22 player, and at 28 now he is not going to become one. But he would serve us as a back up ruck as we do need someone for this role on our list. That would be his value in the deal if he was included. So Cats get him off there list and use the money elsewhere. Saints get slightly more in the trade because of it, but not much.
I agree Abbott and Smith have no real value, but the young players on the cats list that you want you won't get ave the players you can get you won't want. There just isn't really a kid you'd be interested in that the cats are a silly enough to let go. The cats also won't give up a first rounder in this exchange, the only scenario I would imagine it being involved is a first for second swap but you don't have a second.

2nd or 3rd rounder.

When you look at it he’s 30 next year, has clear issues currently, has had discipline issues in the past and has never been All Australian. Made the squad twice but the last time he did that was 2016.

He’s not a bad player at all but a tad overrated. He’s been st kilda’s best midfielder but they have generally been poor in that time so he’s stood out

The form JackS is showing today... there is no doubt he can play ... I think he should stay and complete his contract .. Stk have been good to him... stay and reciprocate that... Too often these days its all about the player ... the pick they would justifiably want will not come their way for a 30 yo.. .. the best I could see is a Ablett type trade and the st's do not have a R2 to throw into the mix. If he is still playing well he can make the move as a FA... in 2020 when Ablett will be gone..

If it was your second rounder then you would expect a young player as well. Not an Abbot or Smith.

Abbot I think is out of contract in 2020? If so we allow you to break his contract by taking him. Allows you to use his contract $$ elsewhere. No other club wants him as he is not a genuine first 22 player, and at 28 now he is not going to become one. But he would serve us as a back up ruck as we do need someone for this role on our list. That would be his value in the deal if he was included. So Cats get him off there list and use the money elsewhere. Saints get slightly more in the trade because of it, but not much.

We do, but it is a 2020 one.

What is the trade that you are propossing ..

Ablett deal would be something like our R1 and your trade JS and your R2 .. are you saying to use you Fr2 ? If you want players like Abbott or who ever that changes the whole trade.. so whats the trade you are prepossessing ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is looking fresh from not playing for pretty much the whole year

Jack showed that he is still a very good player today. Also he turned the game in the last quarter when someone needed to step up and he did.

Just imagine what he will be like when he is not rusty.

If the Cat's Officials were keen on him prior to today, then his game today will obviously have made them keener.

The game today also showed that he is still well liked and well loved by his team mates. If you go down to training, and I am sure a few Cat's Spies will have, you can see that he gets on when with everyone at the club players , trainers and coaches (Which by the way dispels about 90% of the bullshit rumours about him this year).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back