Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are rumours around that Ben King wants out this year ...... if we end up with 3r1 picks ... he is one player I would be willing to trade R1's for ...
Maybe throw in a senior player or two to sweeten the deal.

Sure I read an article in the addy about 5 or 6 weeks back about their friendship. Have tried to track it but struggling to find

Selwood is best mates with Jarryn Geary from bendigo days not Steven although he probably gets on fine with Steven.

One of Higgins or Steven, maybe. Both, definitely not.

If a Cat fan woke up from a 3-year coma on Saturday and was told, ‘wait till you see this guy drafted from Western Australia, Brownlow favourite’ they probably would have thought you were talking about Narkle after watching Saturday night.

Let’s give these guys a go.

Que por no los dos? 😉 (why cant we have both)

Tom Browne saying cats linked to Shaun Higgins as back up to losing Kelly

3yr deal and have to trade for him. Aged 32, 33 and 34.

Say it aint so
Higgins probably plays to that age with how much footy he's missed, was a more than capable forward back in the day aswell don't mind him if the deal was favourable.

No chance. If he leaves for anywhere, it will be StK.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe ..but thats not necessarily so ... yes he has a history of supporting them , yes he has a home base not far from there ...but really does he want to be trying to fit into the same side as his brother as a forward? He was played as a defender in juniors because he is more flexible than Max,,and Max is apparently the better mark.. Let alone their other tall targets ..and then they like Marshall as a ute ..as they are looking at rucks..

In the end ..a player moving clubs has choices based on his appeal to clubs. Bking probably would appeal to any club ..if he he says I want in... but StK have ben linked to a lot of players ... Hill etc. I have no real idea how they would get BK done this year ..they would probably have to trade out players to get him in.

Interesting some of the valuations they're placing on him.

Sounds very much liked a tactic to get the extension he wants rather than a genuine play for a trade

That makes sense.. high probability that you are right.. His links to Geelong are there but not particularly strong... sister etc. . 2 years from geelong probably would happen , especially if GA retired...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they should do that. They need to.

The over arching issue is the concept of the draft is not fair ... and the best players going to the worst clubs , the best players with the most choices ..it sets up an revolving door recruitment. The way to keep them is to get GC winning games and up the table as quick as possible.. Look at Brisbane.. apparently Witherden was making noises about coming back ..but now is very happy. Its why they will need 10 early picks over the next 3-4 years... He is a metro kid.. higher risk with them so they knew who they were picking...

That said..he is contracted.. so they can say no.. and gamble they have another 12 months to convince him.. imo..it would take a huge deal to move him early..

Last edited:
Yes! And I reckon that will just about see him out.

He'll be 32 next year. Don't get why we appear to be continually linked to aging players.

Agree. The Cats need to focus on the draft, rather than spread themselves thin by forever topping up.

Are Geelong going to fork over pick 18 for a 31 year old, because if we let the contracted, reigning back to back B&F depart for pick 36, then our football department should be taken out and shot.

It's ridiculous talk. Tom Brown is a player agent mouthpiece.

Agree. The Cats need to focus on the draft, rather than spread themselves thin by forever topping up.

Are Geelong going to fork over pick 18 for a 31 year old, because if we let the contracted, reigning back to back B&F depart for pick 36, then our football department should be taken out and shot.

It's ridiculous talk. Tom Brown is a player agent mouthpiece.

He is contracted.. so dont trade him.

He is contracted.. so dont trade him.

Of course. I don't get this mentality that has arisen with AFL "journalists" whereby individual player wishes have become the centre of the universe. It has to be player agent driven stuff.

If Shaun really wants to dig in over a 3rd year of a contract, then I would be happy for the club to show him the door, to the highest bidder. Gold Coast could do with a bloke like that for 3 years, throw us pick 17 thanks. Bye Shaun.

Of course. I don't get this mentality that has arisen with AFL "journalists" whereby individual player wishes have become the centre of the universe. It has to be player agent driven stuff.

If Shaun really wants to dig in over a 3rd year of a contract, then I would be happy for the club to show him the door, to the highest bidder. Gold Coast could do with a bloke like that for 3 years, throw us pick 17 thanks. Bye Shaun.

Works both ways.. you can not push trade him either.. He was a FA.. when OOC he should still be FA .. till then he should play for who he signed with ... unless both parties are happy with change.

Works both ways.. you can not push trade him either.. He was a FA.. when OOC he should still be FA .. till then he should play for who he signed with ... unless both parties are happy with change.

Shaun is just posturing.

He stated earlier in the year that he wants to keep playing as long as possible, and I could still see him running around off half back at 35, but he's tripping if he thinks he can hold the club to extensive contracts at his age now. I have no probs with giving him an extra year now (2021), and an option for 2022 (Criteria based), but he's going to have to slice his price.

Getting back on the topic of Geelong and it's list, don't you think there's a point where they have to focus more on the draft rather than topping up? Particularly if Kelly departs?

I can see the current strategy ending up very badly if it continues.

Shaun is just posturing.

He stated earlier in the year that he wants to keep playing as long as possible, and I could still see him running around off half back at 35, but he's tripping if he thinks he can hold the club to extensive contracts at his age now. I have no probs with giving him an extra year now (2021), and an option for 2022 (Criteria based), but he's going to have to slice his price.

Getting back on the topic of Geelong and it's list, don't you think there's a point where they have to focus more on the draft rather than topping up? Particularly if Kelly departs?

Shaun isn't the only one posturing here. Many are duplicitous in what they say and do.

Trust and respect is hard earned.

Shaun is just posturing.

The short answer is no. People overrate picks. We are often trading late R1s and R2s its not as if we are trading top 10 picks consistently. Hawthorn did it for years and survived fine. In fact if you look at our drafting our record with later picks is better than our record with early picks (Kelly and possibly Clark being exceptions to the rule) so its a fine enough strategy. We consistently play as many under 20 game players as bottom 8 sides they just are not top 10 picks. In any case its irrelevant as Cook and Carter dont believe in 'drop down to go back up' rebuilds (Carter was a vocal critic of it when he was on the AFL comission) there will be no directive to the footy dept to do that until the current board moves on.

The short answer is no. People overrate picks. We are often trading late R1s and R2s its not as if we are trading top 10 picks consistently. Hawthorn did it for years and survived fine. In fact if you look at our drafting our record with later picks is better than our record with early picks (Kelly and possibly Clark being exceptions to the rule) so its a fine enough strategy. We consistently play as many under 20 game players as bottom 8 sides they just are not top 10 picks. In any case its irrelevant as Cook and Carter dont believe in 'drop down to go back up' rebuilds (Carter was a vocal critic of it when he was on the AFL comission) there will be no directive to the footy dept to do that until the current board moves on.

Fair enough. I reckon there's an end point to it, where the base (future) is eroded so much that the whole thing collapses when the topping up inevitably fails.

IMO, Kelly is ground zero for Geelong. They simply must facilitate another ready to go mid 20's and under midfielder from his trade.

Shaun is just posturing.

Thats a North discussion really .. once a player go's past 30.. I feel clubs need to be very carefull giving extended contracts ..

Geelong is treading a fine line atm in list management... but we have heard the sky is falling for many a year. As it stands .. we have had 3 RS nominations this year .. we have a young KPF playing and several younger types in the side and on our list. Our list change is not mono-ageist

Would I like them to use any picks gained for Kelly to go to the draft.. generally id say yes to that .. Id like to use them to gain a younger player.. but the concept of list management approach finishing badly is in the words of our coach ..superficial.

If you look at the young players that have been brought in since 2016 ... there has been plenty draft activity.. the only doubt is about how good they are.. and to some degree that can be the case no matter which pick you use. Have a look at your own side.. Who will be better player LDU or Zurhar.
The outcome that i see most likely atm is to possibly slip to a middle of the ladder team if the young players drafted dont come on and replace the champs we have exiting .. so replacing mature players exiting with ones a few years younger hardly affects the dynamics of our list or a long term negative outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back