Banter RDT 153 - RDTier List

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
‘WOEFUL MISJUDGMENT’: NOVAK’S CLASSLESS RESPONSE

After realising his stray ball had connected with an official, Djokovic raised his hand in apology and strolled — rather than rushed — over to see if she was OK.

But it wasn’t long before he started painting himself as the victim.

Officials debated the correct punishment and when disqualification was raised, Djokovic hit back.

“She doesn’t have to go to the hospital for this,” he was heard saying as the world No. 1 tried to protect his place in the draw.

“You’re going to choose a default in this situation? My career, grand slam, centre stage?

“If she would have gotten up right away …”

Djokovic’s pleas fell on deaf ears and he was punted.

It is compulsory for players to make themselves available for post-match media commitments but the Serbian jumped in a car and drove off from Flushing Meadows after his expulsion.

He risks a $20,000 fine for snubbing reporters and the US Tennis Association said it will strip him of all prize money earned during the tournament, which equates to $AUD340,000.

But far more damage will be done to Djokovic’s reputation. Rather than front up and own his mistake, the tennis world condemned him for running away.

Former British star Tim Henman said on Prime Video’s coverage: “Unfortunately he’s compounding the error. He needs to face up to it, apologise and accept he made a mistake.

“By, in essence, running away, it’s going to go on longer.”

Another ex-British player, Greg Rusedski, echoed Henman’s sentiment. “This was the correct decision under the rules regardless of intent or not. Novak should have stayed for the press conference & apologised,” he tweeted.

“We must take responsibility for our actions no matter how difficult the situation is.”

Tennis writer for The Times, Stu Fraser, added: “Woeful misjudgment by the world No. 1 and leader of the new player association not to front up and apologise for his actions.”

Fellow scribe George Bellshaw said it was a “really poor showing” for Djokovic not to face the press while Mike Dickson wrote “really don’t think he’s helped himself here” with regards to Djokovic’s escape act.

Thankfully, two-and-a-half hours after his offence, Djokovic saw some sense and released a statement on Instagram apologising for his behaviour.
Novak’s a douche IMO. Always barrack for Rafa over Novak.

I haven't really been keeping up with Novak's past year or so, because my mate reckons he's been a right turd re: Covid and some other stuff. That's disappointing because he's an amazing player and I'm a big fan of his work, esp. in the Aus Open.

I feel a bit sorry for him here. Should have gone to the presser but it's not hard to empathise with why he didn't. And his comments were callous but, come on, the lineswoman put a little mayo on it. Hopefully she's okay and I'm sure it hurt a bit, but it was clearly accidental and not as hard on replay as I expected.

Immediate booting from the Open seems harsh but, fair enough, it's the rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Individual sports its hard to really follow a certain person religiously like you would with a team, I don’t get how people do it. It’s good to check in to see results of who wins and I’ll obviously back the Aussies that are playing, but aside from that it never gets very deep at all. I won’t be as invested in any one person and its more a case of watching the matchups/upsets that occur.

Tennis it’s all about the big dogs either playing each other or being knocked out by random unseeded players. F1 it’s more about the team tactics and car specs etc than the bloke driving (although he gets all the credit). Just very hard to get behind one guy and hate the rest like I’d be programmed to do with my teams. More about following the sport as a whole and witnessing everyone’s success.

So yesterday my wife and I went for her 12 week scan and unfortunately the worst has happened and we have had a miscarriage. I feel lost and don't really know what to do. If any of the big footy brethren has any advice or has gone through something similar. She's currently blaming herself. Um Yeah so that'd be great. Thanks in advance.

So yesterday my wife and I went for her 12 week scan and unfortunately the worst has happened and we have had a miscarriage. I feel lost and don't really know what to do. If any of the big footy brethren has any advice or has gone through something similar. She's currently blaming herself. Um Yeah so that'd be great. Thanks in advance.
We went through the same thing on our first attempt. Absolutely reassure your wife that she is blameless and miscarriages happen a lot more than you think because no-one talks about it, ~20% of pregnancies don't go to term.

Falling pregnant and having a baby is actually a lot harder than you would think from the way it's represented in soap operas and high school sex education.

Your pain will heal and you just have to dust yourself off and try again. 🤞

We experienced this the first time we fell, after over a year of trying. Unfortunately the first ultrasound couldn't detect a heartbeat and my wife miscarried. Highest of highs to the lowest of lows.

Absolutely what KK said, it's quite common but rarely talked about. Good on you for reaching out for some support and advice.

Wrap your arms around your partner and reassure her that there's nothing else she could have done. In our case I just tried to keep circling back to the positive that we actually managed to conceive naturally. In the end that was the hope that got my wife through. We took a break for a few months and then got back to trying.

You and your partner will need time to grieve the loss. Don't be afraid to feel and support a range of emotions. Enlist the help of family and friends if you can trust them with the news. You may be surprised to find out how many others have a similar story.

No advice, but just my sincerest condolences. And yeah as others have said, definitely not her fault so do your best to convey that to her (which I’m sure you’re doing anyway)

My deepest condolences

I've got some friends who have gone through similar. They have had multiple miscarriages, but they are now at the 22 week mark of their current pregnancy and things are looking good for their first child being born in December.

Don't give up and don't blame yourselves. It's not spoken about but it's more common than people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back