Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zac Merrett must be our number 1 target this year. He would be a great addition to the midfield, elite skills and great work ethic.
Brad crouch is slow, injury prone and a c grade midfielder at best
Shaun Higgins is too old - will be 33 next year

Wellsy, scott must go hard for Merrett.

Did you see were I said 80%, so that means your in the 20%

I'd say there'd be a fair few more than 20%, tbh. I for one have no problem with it, as long as they're not being kept out for inferior players.

Constable had half of 2019 to prove his case, and he has too many deficiencies to push into a very stacked midfield. Narkle, much the same. Sav has been given a heap of opportunity, and needs to get some confidence and goal-kicking practice in/built up before he becomes a regular fixture in the side. Hell a 4 x B + F in Steven can't even guarantee his place in our side, so fringe players shouldn't be complaining too much. Clark has been injured a lot and hasn't had much continuity, but he'll get a fair run at it next year if he sticks it out (he played nearly every game last year). Kreuger will also get his shot as a third tall. Jenkins is just insurance. Fog got given a few games, and then had a couple of bad games so was rightly dropped. It's all a bit hysterical for mine, lol. It's not like these kids are all highly touted/rated and are being kept out by plodders. Close kept himself in our side and was only pushed out by arguably the greatest player of our generation. Simpson was embedding himself after showing some really good improvement - and then copped an injury.

I've mentioned this before, but, all of these players are all in the convo for Best 22, playing regularly (more than 10 games over the past 2 years) and have been drafted by us in the last 5 years:

Henry
O'Connor
Parfitt
Atkins
Stewart
Miers
Clark
Menegola
Ratugolea

Nearly every draftee who has shown something, has been given a shot since we picked them up. Kreuger has had his injuries and Stephens and SDK will most likely get their shot next year. If Higgins, Cameron and Crouch all were to come, then the onus would be on those fringe players to push out others. Tuohy, Bews, Henry, Kolo, Parfitt, Atkins, Close, Rata, Miers, Dahl, Rohan, Steven etc. the list goes on of players that aren't world-beaters and could be pushed out by players who pushed past them and took their spot - through hard work, skill improvement, and application.

I just don't buy the argument that bringing in players from other clubs 'robs' these players of opportunity - as they have all been given an opportunity and not done enough with it when given their shot. Clark, Kreuger, Fogarty, Close, Simpson and Rata are the only kids/youngish ones that I think are actually good enough at this point in time (2019 draft excluded). The others are just fringe players, and haven't proven otherwise despite numerous chances. Nearly every 2019 first round draft pick has been in the twos this year bar a handful of them. Too much impatience these days from new draftees. There'll be a heap of retirements over the coming years, and those who are good enough will get ample opportunity - even with outside acquisitions

Last edited:
Not sure how you could know or assume that. Would you say the same about Dusty Martin?

Just the vibe that comes from the GWS board, rumours about his disgruntlement over pay loss this year, and the subsequent lack of effort and care he showed when on the field in most games.

Dusty is completely different, lol, so I'm not sure how that comparison works. He tested the open market, got offered a king's ransom from North, and turned it down for far less money to stay with Richmond for success/culture etc. Danger did the same when choosing us over others, as did Harry when he knocked back big money from Freo to stay here.

Point is, if Cameron goes to a club like Essendon at its lowest ebb in a very long time, then the only reason he would go is for money. It won't be for success, it won't be for culture, and it won't be for a chance to 'start over', given that Essendon are a real chance at Bottom 4 next year. If he goes to us or stays with GWS, then he values something more than money. I'm merely pointing out that from what I've heard, and how I've seen him act on field - dropping his head and playing like sh*t because he's reportedly unhappy with how the pay covid paycut affected him -, that he does give off the vibe that he's someone that's more motivated by money than anything else. I've also said I hope I'm wrong, but if he goes to a club like Essendon, then I'm probably not

Surely if he wanted to be at gws he would have signed by now?

Genuinely think he's in two minds about it, and is exploring the market before making any decisions. It's his right as an RFA, so he probably wants to weigh everything up before he makes the call. As I said though, it does change things now that his manager is actually having talks with us now, on a more formal level

Just the vibe that comes from the GWS board, rumours about his disgruntlement over pay loss this year, and the subsequent lack of effort and care he showed when on the field in most games.

Dusty is completely different, lol, so I'm not sure how that comparison works. He tested the open market, got offered a king's ransom from North, and turned it down for far less money to stay with Richmond for success/culture etc. Danger did the same when choosing us over others, as did Harry when he knocked back big money from Freo to stay here.

Point is, if Cameron goes to a club like Essendon at its lowest ebb in a very long time, then the only reason he would go is for money. It won't be for success, it won't be for culture, and it won't be for a chance to 'start over', given that Essendon are a real chance at Bottom 4 next year. If he goes to us or stays with GWS, then he values something more than money. I'm merely pointing out that from what I've heard, and how I've seen him act on field - dropping his head and playing like sh*t because he's reportedly unhappy with how the pay covid paycut affected him -, that he does give off the vibe that he's someone that's more motivated by money than anything else. I've also said I hope I'm wrong, but if he goes to a club like Essendon, then I'm probably not
Good explanation! If true that GWS has offered $700K over 5 years and he wants more then he’s out of there. Essendon will have $$+ more, so will be interesting to see what his priorities are. You’d think life on the Surf Coast would appeal to a boy from Ballarat

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Cameron went to Essendon. Will get his payday, and then do sweet fa for the next 5 years. I actually hope I'm proven wrong, but he does strike me as a footballer who seems like he plays for money, rather than success or culture. He'd be far better off staying put or going to us, instead of Essendon. Hell, even Sydney would be a better bet given their culture and the good youth they have coming through

As discussed previously I dont think Cameron is money hungry and is a dedicated individual, i think it is more that he got burnt this year on his contract and wants to recoup so pushing for more $$ to cover it. However if in the end he goes to the rabble Essendon then we will know its all about money.

Giants superstar Jeremy Cameron has opened up renewed contract talks with the Geelong Cats after being underwhelmed by a contract offer from GWS.

One of the best key forwards in the game, Cameron expects to command one of the biggest contracts in the AFL.

I find it ironic how many people whinge about us being linked to Cameron & question our salary cap.

Gazza & Taylor to retire, No A graders have been traded to Geelong since Dangerfield which was 5 years ago now.

I'd say there'd be a fair few more than 20%, tbh. I for one have no problem with it, as long as they're not being kept out for inferior players.

Constable had half of 2019 to prove his case, and he has too many deficiencies to push into a very stacked midfield. Narkle, much the same. Sav has been given a heap of opportunity, and needs to get some confidence and goal-kicking practice in/built up before he becomes a regular fixture in the side. Hell a 4 x B + F in Steven can't even guarantee his place in our side, so fringe players shouldn't be complaining too much. Clark has been injured a lot and hasn't had much continuity, but he'll get a fair run at it next year if he sticks it out (he played nearly every game last year). Kreuger will also get his shot as a third tall. Jenkins is just insurance. Fog got given a few games, and then had a couple of bad games so was rightly dropped. It's all a bit hysterical for mine, lol. It's not like these kids are all highly touted/rated and are being kept out by plodders. Close kept himself in our side and was only pushed out by arguably the greatest player of our generation. Simpson was embedding himself after showing some really good improvement - and then copped an injury.

I've mentioned this before, but, all of these players are all in the convo for Best 22, playing regularly (more than 10 games over the past 2 years) and have been drafted by us in the last 5 years:

Henry
O'Connor
Parfitt
Atkins
Stewart
Miers
Clark
Menegola
Ratugolea

Nearly every draftee who has shown something, has been given a shot since we picked them up. Kreuger has had his injuries and Stephens and SDK will most likely get their shot next year. If Higgins, Cameron and Crouch all were to come, then the onus would be on those fringe players to push out others. Tuohy, Bews, Henry, Kolo, Parfitt, Atkins, Close, Rata, Miers, Dahl, Rohan, Steven etc. the list goes on of players that aren't world-beaters and could be pushed out by players who pushed past them and took their spot - through hard work, skill improvement, and application.

I just don't buy the argument that is bringing in players from other clubs 'robs' these players of opportunity - as they have all been given an opportunity and not done enough with it when given their shot. Clark, Kreuger, Fogarty, Close, Simpson and Rata are the only kids/youngish ones that I think are actually good enough at this point in time (2019 draft excluded). The others are just fringe players, and haven't proven otherwise despite numerous chances. Nearly every first round draft pick has been in the twos this year bar a handful of them. Too much impatience these days from new draftees. There'll be a heap of retirements over the coming years, and those who are good enough will get ample opportunity - even with outside acquisitions
Do we expect 3rd year players to be stars that quick.. I think we expect to much in 1-4 year players. Sounds like alot of people want Esave to kick 4 goals a game. Constable to rack up 30 disposals a game, the saying goes, " you have to crawl before you can walk"

Do we expect 3rd year players to be stars that quick.. I think we expect to much in 1-4 year players. Sounds like alot of people want Esave to kick 4 goals a game. Constable to rack up 30 disposals a game, the saying goes, " you have to crawl before you can walk"

All I expect from Constable is to be able to play more than 65% game time, lol. He hasn't improved in that area at all, and he can't play any position besides inside mid. He also hasn't put on any muscle, so there really hasn't been any change in his game from 3 years ago. That suggests that he's just got too many deficiencies to keep persisting with. Narkle hasn't learned to run both ways, but still has scope for improvement. Rata has been given a ton of opportunity, and I expect will be given a ton more. He needs to improve though before he's just guaranteed more senior games. I don't expect players to be world-beaters, but I do expect them to show signs of improvement each year. That to me is the bare minimum expectation

All I expect from Constable is to be able to play more than 65% game time, lol. He hasn't improved in that area at all, and he can't play any position besides inside mid. He also hasn't put on any muscle, so there really hasn't been any change in his game from 3 years ago. That suggests that he's just got too many deficiencies to keep persisting with. Narkle hasn't learned to run both ways, but still has scope for improvement. Rata has been given a ton of opportunity, and I expect will be given a ton more. He needs to improve though before he's just guaranteed more senior games. I don't expect players to be world-beaters, but I do expect them to show signs of improvement each year. That to me is the bare minimum expectation
We're all are allowed to have our opinion, but this one with Constable i disagree with, which is all good

Henry
O'Connor
Parfitt
Atkins
Stewart
Miers
Clark
Menegola
Ratugolea

I just don't buy the argument that is bringing in players from other clubs 'robs' these players of opportunity - as they have all been given an opportunity and not done enough with it when given their shot. Clark, Kreuger, Fogarty, Close, Simpson and Rata are the only kids/youngish ones that I think are actually good enough at this point in time (2019 draft excluded). The others are just fringe players, and haven't proven otherwise despite numerous chances. Nearly every first round draft pick has been in the twos this year bar a handful of them. Too much impatience these days from new draftees. There'll be a heap of retirements over the coming years, and those who are good enough will get ample opportunity - even with outside acquisitions

I've talked about the "imports vs home-grown" debate earlier, so not going to retread old ground.

But one thing you pointed out was that it's up to the younger players to push the older ones out. That's been made much harder this year, so it's hard to make any judgment calls there. Hopefully the VFL is up and running again next year, or at least some sort of semi-organised reserves football so those players can properly make their claim.

However, on the flip side, isn't it on the coaches / match day committee to make the hard calls with senior players as well? If you under-perform, your spot in the team should be in threat, at least for a few games. I don't think Scott plays favourites, but he will back the established team more often than not. If Fogs or Narkle plays a couple of bad games, they're out... but the older players seem to get more lee-way. It may be the business, but it hardly seems fair.

(I was going to mention Steven being dropped several times this year as perhaps a changing of this attitude, but I think he MDC were generous in giving him as many games as he got, considering the early form and fitness he was in.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a tidbit of info I've been chasing -

It appears that Cameron and his manager have met with the club in Melbourne, according to a Giants insider who has been told and is definitely not happy about it. I still think he could stay, but there is definitely some substantiation to him leaving and choosing us.

I preface this with take everything said on bf with a grain of salt, but the poster himself seemed pretty sure that he'd met with a club, that it was us, and that he's 'done his due diligence' - meaning it's a real live possibility

given you are "new" and its literally your first post... maybe the last too... we'll see.. please stick to the existing threads for posts like this.

Go Catters

It appears that Cameron and his manager have met with the club in Melbourne, according to a Giants insider who has been told and is definitely not happy about it. I still think he could stay, but there is definitely some substantiation to him leaving and choosing us.

I preface this with take everything said on bf with a grain of salt, but the poster himself seemed pretty sure that he'd met with a club, that it was us, and that he's 'done his due diligence' - meaning it's a real live possibility
I don't doubt he's met with us as has been reported. And I think we're probably willing to come to the table with a big offer. Question for me is whether Cameron's endgame at this stage is to force GWS into a higher offer primarily. If he wants to stay at the Giants and they're lowballing him he doesn't have any leverage unless he shops himself around.

Wouldn’t that be breaking COVID restrictions on a couple levels?

Who would Cameron and his manager even meet in Melbourne?
Is Wells not at the hub?

Tom Browne pushing the Cameron to Bombers barrow again this morning.

As said before he loves the Bombers but it’s the one club he gets good mail on. Similar to Pete Ryan, Mitch Cleary and Jay Clarke for us.

When they say it then I’m more confident.

Can really only be money if he wants to go to Essendon... I would almost put Essendon on the same page as North Melbourne at the moment from the perspective of "Would a big name player want to go there right now?" type thing..

Wouldn’t that be breaking COVID restrictions on a couple levels?

Their season finished weeks ago, and he's coming from a state with no infections? It's also part of his employment, so he'd be able to get a permit, and we don't have closed borders so he wouldn't have any trouble getting in or out. Given it's metro Melb that's the issue, he could just fly into Avalon and head to the club (regional Vic in Step 3) without any issues given he's come from Qld where there's no community transmission - thus no restrictions broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back