Autopsy AFL 2021 First Preliminary Final - Demons v Cats Fri September 10th 7:50pm EST / 5:50pm WST (Optus)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 76 40.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dees will be adopting a defensive midfield formation from opening bounce. No Dangerfield bursts, or they'll be reliant on Stanley winning hitouts.

A lot has been talked about round 23, but all it really took was Yze et al saying let's play a defensive centreman, stopped cats exiting through the front of stoppage and the Cats' one wood was back in the bag. Really wish the boys could've organised that themselves a little better 'in quarter' as it was big damage in 6-10 minutes.

It's going to be fascinating what Scott comes up with for Friday night.
Cats put the cue in the rack in that game. It was so easy…

Dees by a lot.
I voted 7-20, but that's just hedging the 2nd Half when they're milking their lead.
They're a more talented squad on paper, and the Cats have looked lost for the last month.
Melbourne's gonna be well rested and ready to take it to Geelong, steamrolling into the Grand Final.

I had some faith in the boys when I thought or Simpson or at a stretch Higgins would come in for parf. But Zuthrie is just another defender so to me that suggests Tuohy will push up the ground more which I'm not a fan of, need his drive off the half back line taking those handballs off the intercepts of Blitz and Hendo (who I do not want to see take a run and bounce).

There are some question marks on Hendo, he did a fitness test today. Potentially he comes out of the side for Simpson or Higgins which would balance things, but I wonder why bother not putting them into the team in the first place and leaving Zuthrie out until he's needed?

Well that's my rant. Dees to reverse the (optus) curse and win by 60+ this time (3rd times the charm)

Melb should be favourites, are healthier and have this romantic push but gee wizz they are getting hyped up.

Who knows what the result will be but I haven’t heard one commentator mention the fact no Geelong mid played more than 70% game time in Rd 23. All I’ve heard is a 6 min burst cost Melb a percentage booster. Weird take for mine. Melbourne forwards that night couldn’t catch a cold. They scrapped some genuine half chance crumbing goals and kicked just as many goals from centre clearances. Geel team on paper has got better than that night. Melb dropped games in their last 2 months and had some really close finishes. This week it’s just been universally accepted that Melbourne are head and shoulders the best team of the year and are nigh on unbeatable??

They are favourites no doubt largely due to the fact they are healthy, well rested and a good team but nobody could be surprised if Geel won surely. We are a Better chance for mine than when we were rank outsiders against Haw (away) 13, Adel (away) 17, Rich (away) 19 and even Bris (away) 2020

The Cats kicked 4 goals in around 2-3 minutes without Melbourne even touching the ball! I can't imagine that will happen again.
Same could be said for things we did, do you really think we would leave Danger & Selwood off for as long in the last again? Would Guthrie be that bad to kick it out on the full again from a slow play? Would we allow Gawn to basically take an uncontested Mark 15 metres out again?....All things are extremely unlikely, just as, if not more, than what you mentioned.....In the end all Round 23 showed us was at different times each team was on top. Tonight is a different game with much different stakes. You guys have earned the right to be favourites, no doubt, but cherry picking the Round 23 match can be done from both sides.

So to summarise, Geelong are old and fat and Melbourne are young and virile.

Nice.
Or Geelong has much more finals & big game experience. Depending on the result it’ll be one of those two, if we lose it’ll be because we’re “too old too slow” or if we win it’ll be because “Geelong won this off great experience & nous”....I’ve seen both sides of this coin, being younger doesn’t always equate to being better.

Melb should be favourites, are healthier and have this romantic push but gee wizz they are getting hyped up.

Who knows what the result will be but I haven’t heard one commentator mention the fact no Geelong mid played more than 70% game time in Rd 23. All I’ve heard is a 6 min burst cost Melb a percentage booster. Weird take for mine. Melbourne forwards that night couldn’t catch a cold. They scrapped some genuine half chance crumbing goals and kicked just as many goals from centre clearances. Geel team on paper has got better than that night. Melb dropped games in their last 2 months and had some really close finishes. This week it’s just been universally accepted that Melbourne are head and shoulders the best team of the year and are nigh on unbeatable??

But Geelong haven't exactly set the world on fire this finals series, they were exposed a fair bit against Port and last week defeated a banged up GWS side.

We are no certainties to win tonight sure but if we handle the occasion and stick to what Melbourne does best then the Cats will need to play out of their skins to win.

But Geelong haven't exactly set the world on fire this finals series, they were exposed a fair bit against Port and last week defeated a banged up GWS side.

We are no certainties to win tonight sure but if we handle the occasion and stick to what Melbourne does best then the Cats will need to play out of their skins to win.
Agree 100%. Dees deserve to be resounding favourites on recent form

If they selected Higgins & Dahlhaus over Guthrie & say Holmes surely that would of been close to the record?
Yeah, and if they brought in that 16 year old kid the differential would be 2.954

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were 44 points up against your mob and 3 points away from winning the minor premiership. You aren't the Harlem Globetrotters like you think you are.

This is what I mean. In any final you have to play well but to suggest you need to play out of your skin implies the Demons are just this head and shoulders above team.

Anyway should be a good game. Seems like there is just so much at stake for both teams. Generally one team is somewhat content with their season even if they lose. That won’t be the case tonight. The narrative and media story as soon as the final siren sounds tonight will be the loser. The winner will barely rate a mention.

I miss the days of spending this time of year fantasising about unrealistic trade options and who Melbourne's next coach was going to be.

I don't know how fans of the good teams do it every year, this is far too stressful.

Last edited:
Melbourne 100% deserve to be favourites. Though I feel the cats are building. If we can stop May and Lever from intercepts and rebounding then I reckon we’re a good shot.

Back