Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists... Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kolodjashnij will be play every game in the seniors when fit.
Bookmark it. The most unfairly maligned on the list.
I don't malign him, I just think he's the third tall guy and I don't think he can play much taller. Judging him for what he can do he has a spot on the side but if he's taking the second tall we need to think long and hard about how we set up around the ground to help him out. If we're playing Brisbane then we'd better hope one of Daniher or Hipwood get gastro.

He's the height and build of Steven May, but he does not play like Steven May

SDK looks decent size now (given his height) in pictures on club site just now. Should be able to play multiple games this year all things going well

Plus they didn’t give him an extension contract just to sit him the VFL for the next 3 years
Careful. The “plays vfl” remark is known to trigger partridge lol
First part 100% agree

Second part 100% disagree
I don't malign him, I just think he's the third tall guy and I don't think he can play much taller. Judging him for what he can do he has a spot on the side but if he's taking the second tall we need to think long and hard about how we set up around the ground to help him out. If we're playing Brisbane then we'd better hope one of Daniher or Hipwood get gastro.

He's the height and build of Steven May, but he does not play like Steven May
The most unfairly spoken about player on this board.

Such a disproportionate amount off ill informed dribble is posted about Jake.

Agreed.
Id like to add a kpd now to cover all bases however i can see us waiting for the MSD next june like a lot of clubs will because with covid lockdowns over a lot of the 19yos going to nab or state leagues might become bargain picks for the MSD next yea the only issue with that strategy is if say blitz or kolo gets an injury in round 4 and is out a while you have to wait until round 12 to be able to bring in cover through the MSD which is why id rather we use our last rookie spot on schlensog or someone in february.
Kpds take a while though. Drafting a kid from this point is either a rookie or next year and they won't be ready then until maybe 2024 or 2023 if you absolutely nail the rookie pick option. We either needed one a year ago or we have to do what I expected we'll do which is accept the possible short term hole and trade for one for 2024

The most unfairly spoken about player on this board.

Such a disproportionate amount off ill informed dribble is posted about Jake.
Could not agree more, he is definitely very unfairly spoken about. But he's also never demonstrated an ability to play taller than he is. The tone with which he's described is a different topic to the role he should have.

Yeah I guess this goes back to constant hang up I've had since Harry retired. I'd have strongly preferred to have kept blitz on the wing as a ruck option and brought in a kpd rather than push blitz back and bring in a wing. Smith is a gun though so I could be wrong on the strategic level, it just feels like a massive gap that has gotten worse.

I do agree on the blitz flexibility however with us not having brought in a kpd the last 2 years unless sdk takes huge steps forward this year and kolo can handle the big talls its not really an option. To be fair with smith and duncan and menegola we still have better wing depth than just about any other side in the league it just robs us of flexibility. I assume we are happy to play blitz back full time in the short term otherwise we would have taken another kpd in the draft.

Could not agree more, he is definitely very unfairly spoken about. But he's also never demonstrated an ability to play taller than he is. The tone with which he's described is a different topic to the role he should have.

Thats true..he has traditionally played on medium or smaller players a lot and its unlikely he will be able to do that all 2022 with no hendo there. A lot of riewoldt/bruce/marshall/georgiades/membrey/marshall etc etc type matchups will be waiting for him this year. Hopefully he can handle it.

I do agree on the blitz flexibility however with us not having brought in a kpd the last 2 years unless sdk takes huge steps forward this year and kolo can handle the big talls its not really an option. To be fair with smith and duncan and menegola we still have better wing depth than just about any other side in the league it just robs us of flexibility. I assume we are happy to play blitz back full time in the short term otherwise we would have taken another kpd in the draft.
Yeah I guess that's my disappointment. That it could have been an option and now it's not. I mean now we have to carry sav just for a chop out mark and a down the line mark here and there when if we had one more kpd we could be playing an extra small or rotating an extra mid. Such a wasted opportunity in my eyes

Kpds take a while though. Drafting a kid from this point is either a rookie or next year and they won't be ready then until maybe 2024 or 2023 if you absolutely nail the rookie pick option. We either needed one a year ago or we have to do what I expected we'll do which is accept the possible short term hole and trade for one for 2024

Yes and no. Kids you draft need time agreed but there were mature agers like dean available and there are still such options for our last list spot thats open like schlensog (i know hes not proven but hes probably physically ready to play next year if injuries demand it). Maybe aleer was the only mature ager we rate and he went before our pick. Still i think we are backing ourselves into a corner if we dont use our last list spod on a readymade kpd of some sort. We better hope like heck blitz or henry dont get injured.

Yes and no. Kids you draft need time agreed but there were mature agers like dean available and there are still such options for our last list spot thats open like schlensog (i know hes not proven but hes probably physically ready to play next year if injuries demand it). Maybe aleer was the only mature ager we rate and he went before our pick. Still i think we are backing ourselves into a corner if we dont use our last list spod on a readymade kpd of some sort. We better hope like heck blitz or henry dont get injured.
Yeah, I'm not really saying we should have drafted to plug the gap this year, I'm saying we should have traded to plug the gap last year. It's a bit of a moot point now. We just have to carry the risk and trade next year if it doesn't work out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I guess that's my disappointment. That it could have been an option and now it's not. I mean now we have to carry sav just for a chop out mark and a down the line mark here and there when if we had one more kpd we could be playing an extra small or rotating an extra mid. Such a wasted opportunity in my eyes

Agree totally and having to lock blitz in at fullback affects negatively more the 2nd ruck spot (where we are weak) rather than wing (where we are strong). That said its possible we drop sav to the vfl play ceglar as the 80 % ruck and play stanley as the 3rd tall/2nd ruck. It doesnt give us the extra spot for a small but as stanley can cover the ground back and forward better than sav (who lacks a tank) it might be what we do. A lot depends on whether we use our last rookie spot on a mature tall or not.

Yeah, I'm not really saying we should have drafted to plug the gap this year, I'm saying we should have traded to plug the gap last year. It's a bit of a moot point now. We just have to carry the risk and trade next year if it doesn't work out

Agree with all that although id be having a bet each way-use our last rookie spot on a mature tall back (its a 1 year deal so you can cut them next year if they dont work out) for injury cover and if we are still weak in kpd in 12 months trade or draft a mature one in then. At least that way we have some kpd cover for injuries this year.

Agree totally and having to lock blitz in at fullback affects negatively more the 2nd ruck spot (where we are weak) rather than wing (where we are strong). That said its possible we drop sav to the vfl play ceglar as the 80 % ruck and play stanley as the 3rd tall/2nd ruck. It doesnt give us the extra spot for a small but as stanley can cover the ground back and forward better than sav (who lacks a tank) it might be what we do. A lot depends on whether we use our last rookie spot on a mature tall or not.
It's a free hit on a player so I wouldn't mind giving Schlensog a second run at it.

For all the Blicavs knockers, and there are plenty on here (still don’t get it)…we’re in a whole world of strife without him next season. See how overrated they all think he is then.

I don’t think he does. In the finals, as with a number of our older players, he wasn’t as effective as during the h&a. Not the worse by any means but I think this next season should be his last. He’s been a good stopgap and should be useful in the time he’s got left in helping to tutor some of our younger players like Stevens, Holmes and Kroeger.
I saw some rating on here that showed him to be one of our most effective players in the finals this year. I think he lifts.

Comparing our position with Richmond's is a weird one. I mean, if you're comparing rebuilds then compare them to our contemporaries. The Saints, Collingwood, Hawthorn. Those were the teams that were winning when we started winning. We're being compared to Richmond who have had 4 good seasons in basically my living memory.
We are marked quite harshly. Every year the previous years premier appears to be our contemporary…

I saw some rating on here that showed him to be one of our most effective players in the finals this year. I think he lifts.

My comment was more that we are now clearly looking to rebuild so does him staying on for any more than next year be of any benefit to the development of our kids that will need games? I want to see Stevens getting games (which hopefully starts to happen in 2022) and the guys we drafted recently.

Iv just had a look... there isn't much worth looking at.. Caleb Daniel would be good thou...
David Munday - UFA with 19 years of service...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back