Grand Slam Australian Open - Day 11 (Women's Semi-Finals)

The Womens Final will be?

• Barty vs. Collins

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Barty vs. Swiatek

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Keys vs. Collins

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Keys vs. Swiatek

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Collins and Barty have played each other twice over the past two years on a hard court. A fairly comfortable straight sets win to Collins last year and a tight three setter with Barty winning in a final set tiebreak.

I'd say if Collins plays at this level she can beat ash on Sunday.
Collins
Some imbecile journalist basically said the same thing in an online article the other day. Said the tournament was missing Serena to really challenge Ash. Are you ****ing serious ? Serena is near 40 as fat as a house and will never win another Grand Slam while her ample backside points to the ground.

Come to think of it does hers point to the ground ? :oops:
If Serena faced more players like Ash in her Prime she may not have been so dominant. The only other player I can think of who had similar attributes and style of play to Ash and also being smaller statured was Henin who had a reasonable record against Serena. Punched above her weight with her ball striking which emphasised her talents. Ash is good enough to win 7 grand slams also.

A heavy hitting strategy is usually only as good as your opponent allows. Fluffy bunny Swiatek had no counter for this tonight and kept lobbing meek serves to Collins's brutal forehands - and obviously she is not Ash Barty..!
Collins is $4.70, go for it...!

Put your house and bet the farm on Collins (we can adopt her as Aussie Collo while we're at it!)

Collins
If Serena faced more players like Ash in her Prime she may not have been so dominant. The only other player I can think of who had similar attributes and style of play to Ash and also being smaller statured was Henin who had a reasonable record against Serena. Punched above her weight with her ball striking which emphasised her talents. Ash is good enough to win 7 grand slams also.
Put it this way if Serena was watching Ash ATM she wouldn't be shaking her head saying " damn the quality has gone down so much since I was top dog" she would be saying to herself "I'm glad I didn't have to face this Ash Barty and not the one when she was a teenager".

True, but if these 2 win a Grand Slam fu** me, the whole legacy of doubles Tennis takes a hit IMO.
There are people who have given decades of their lives with this as their speciality, and then these 2 who a week or two ago decided yeh why not?

Look up Stephen Huss who won the men's double at Wimbledon in 2005 - Struggled to get past the 2nd round in Grand slam's - He did win a couple of smaller Doubles titles after his Wimbledon success.

Nick + The Kokk
Doubles rankings: 434 and 259, played together 11 times in their careers.

It makes doubles seem, a bit of a joke.

They did win Junior Wimbledon in 2013.

I'm not sure about that. Barty has been a strong favourite in all her matches. Hewitt was a slight underdog in his SF victory against Roddick, and again a slight underdog in the final against Safin.

Hewitt's performances in the Australian Open are over-rated - He got past the fourth round once in twenty attempts.

Once again, Barty wins last night by forcing errors from her opponent making last nights match ho-hum. Not much to cheer when the opponent makes errors and then it’s over. It’ll be the same on Saturday night.

Not a dig on Barty. The other women need to step up and add more to their game if they don’t want to sit back and watch Barty win most slams on offer like fed was doing at Will pre nadal.

Maybe some girls around the world will start learning how to slice and learn tennis craft rather than bash the ball as hard as they can as the current crop do emulating serena in her heyday

Like who? Osaka? Well she plays similar to Anisimova, who beat her and then had Barty belt her up.

Barty beats anybody at the moment.

People were saying she couldn’t win because the draw was too hard. Now she’s lucky?

Seeds fall early in every major. It’s no reason to downplay those left standing.
lol she is about to win the title without playing a single top 20 opponent

You can only beat who’s in front of you, but let’s not pretend she hasn’t been kissed on the dick

Give us a spell.
sorry petal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can only beat who’s in front of you, but let’s not pretend she hasn’t been kissed on the dick

sorry petal
Luck of the draw plays a role in every slam.

Its like whoever wins the men's draw, they've all been given a chance with Djokovic out, because more than likely everyone would have been playing for second, bar maybe Medvedev as a smokey. To a lesser extent Federer missing, although he doesn't win slams anymore he could still have knocked a few out.

Yes it looks an easy draw on paper for Barty and all signs are she will cruise to a tournament win without breaking a sweat, but if it was so easy then all the other high seeds shouldn't have all failed, where Barty has been flawless.

sorry petal
You would have been one of the Dills at the start saying her draw is to hard, she won’t beat Osaka blah,blah blah ! She is the best women’s player playing the sport currently so put your tall poppy s**t back in the tin.

Distinct possibility. Thanasi manages to stay injury free and does something in Singles where he is getting some adulation then its a massive chance. Nik needs to be relevant. He can't be in singles because he does not have the drive or guts hence why he is playing his arse off in doubles and whipping up a storm. Think about it ? Where would he be this week if he had not played doubles ? Playing Play station on his Mum's couch and ordering her to get him a Big M.
Hahahaha yeah nah probably in his house in the Bahamas living off his 15mil + net worth. Interesting call from your mums basement logged into bigfooty

Put it this way if Serena was watching Ash ATM she wouldn't be shaking her head saying " damn the quality has gone down so much since I was top dog" she would be saying to herself "I'm glad I didn't have to face this Ash Barty and not the one when she was a teenager".
Not sure if Serena would be thinking that, she faced quite a few different style of players throughout her career (eg: Henin, Hingis, Clistjers, peak Kerber)

sorry petal

Go on then, give us this list of names that would have troubled her.

I'll get the popcorn.

Luck of the draw plays a role in every slam.
profound
You would have been one of the Dills at the start saying her draw is to hard, she won’t beat Osaka blah,blah blah ! She is the best women’s player playing the sport currently so put your tall poppy sh*t back in the tin.
you would have been one of the kids who wet the bed in high school

now we’ve got the specious nonsense out of the way, you got anything more insightful than ‘something something tall poppy’?

Go on then, give us this list of names that would have troubled her.

I'll get the popcorn.

the mere fact you pose such a question implies you think nobody in the top 20 would trouble her, which is… an opinion I suppose, but one delusional enough to mean you are not worth discussing the subject with

quite on form for you though, I suppose

Hahahaha yeah nah probably in his house in the Bahamas living off his 15mil + net worth. Interesting call from your mums basement logged into bigfooty
profound

you would have been one of the kids who wet the bed in high school

now we’ve got the specious nonsense out of the way, you got anything more insightful than ‘something something tall poppy’?

the mere fact you pose such a question implies you think nobody in the top 20 would trouble her, which is… an opinion I suppose, but one delusional enough to mean you are not worth discussing the subject with

quite on form for you though, I suppose
Throwing around personal insults to prove your point ? As childish as your take on what Barty is achieving here. How much of the Women’s game do you actually watch ?

I don’t tolerate dills so end communications. Back to your tin rattling. Bulldog supporters are more suited to that particular genre as opposed to being aficionados of Grand Slam Tennis. Stay in your lane.

Last edited:
Doesnt this happen alot in womens tennis? Im a casual (at best) observer but i have a mate who follows it quite intently and his mantra is never bet on womens tennis as favourites get done all the time.

The womens semis here had the 1 seed, the 7 seed, the 27 seed and an unseeded player. The mens has the 2, 4, 6 and 7 seed (and the 1 seed left before the tournament started).

Doesnt this happen alot in womens tennis? Im a casual (at best) observer but i have a mate who follows it quite intently and his mantra is never bet on womens tennis as favourites get done all the time.

The womens semis here had the 1 seed, the 7 seed, the 27 seed and an unseeded player. The mens has the 2, 4, 6 and 7 seed (and the 1 seed left before the tournament started).

To my way of thinking you have a clear number one in Barty, who is so far ahead of the chasing pack that she has the only true ranking. And then about 40 players ranked below her who are all somewhat evenly matched. Therefore their rankings mean nothing.

Some guy sad that she hadn't beaten a top 20 player yet. Like that means anything in women's tennis. If anybody genuinely thinks that Keys and Anisimova aren't two of the best of the rest then they are not worth listening to. It's just that the gap between the best and the rest is a canyon.

Back