List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - clusterheck
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
On the list of players out of contract above
Retire:
JK
Hurn
Shuey
Redden
Delist:
Jamieson
Winder
Trew
B Williams trade/delist

If others want to leave see you later.

Need a ruck Jackson would be number one but don’t know how we could get him. English next target, both would be good but goodbye draft picks.
I don’t know if the club has thought of this, midfielders, midfielders, midfielders and if in doubt midfielders.

Retire:
JK
Hurn
Shuey
Redden
Delist:
Jamieson
Winder
Trew
B Williams trade/delist

If others want to leave see you later.

Need a ruck Jackson would be number one but don’t know how we could get him. English next target, both would be good but goodbye draft picks.
I don’t know if the club has thought of this, midfielders, midfielders, midfielders and if in doubt midfielders.
Jackson would be nice, but the price would be too much. Better off to see a few rucks on the cheap through the draft and go with the best one. Ruck is an area I personally see as the cream on top rather than a position that will constantly win you games.
Hitouts can be sharked aka Sandilands, and big men don't usually offer a lot in the way of skills. Cox was the GOAT for skills in a big man yet I would still rather have had the ball in the hands of pretty much all the other midfielders in '06 (except Fletcher & Stenglein).

A quick look at the ladder and it's hard to see who we can leapfrog to avoid a bottom 2 finish.

If we end up with picks 2, 20 + 25 (ports), I would be keen to go to the draft with all 3. Trading in players is all good and dandy, but we need a few years of plundering the draft first and then worry about finishing off the list with targeted trading.

Bruhn is from Geelong, in what bizarro world are we a chance to trade him in?

Deven Robertson we are all keen on, but reality is that statistically he's tracking similarly to XON and only 10 months age difference. I wouldn't be giving up any of our first 3 picks for XON, why would we give it up for Deven?

English, doing great around the ground while very underwhelming in the ruck. But he'll be 25 by seasons end. Do we want to give up the type of draft capital the Bulldogs will be asking for a player who will only contribute to a flag push in the closing stages of his career (assuming a 4-5 year rebuild)?

Retire:
JK
Hurn
Shuey
Redden
Delist:
Jamieson
Winder
Trew
B Williams trade/delist
I'd keep
Shuey
Redden
if nothing else than to keep that wide eyed wild intensity around the team environment.
Winder I feel will show a lot more and i'd persist for another year even if as a rookie
Jamieson hasn't shown enough as ruck or key defender unfortunately.
Trew has been perma-injured but also needed to become elite as an extractor to be relevant at AFL level and hasn't shown that ability at all.
B Williams I feel was a poor draft selection, but we had pencilled in a ruck for that pick. We wanted Briggs who I rate, but then settled for a fwd/ruck hybrid. Never really was going to be a no.1 ruck and hasn't progressed as expected especially as he's not a good kick at goal. Can still be a player but I think will be frustrating as a supporter.

Jackson would be nice, but the price would be too much. Better off to see a few rucks on the cheap through the draft and go with the best one. Ruck is an area I personally see as the cream on top rather than a position that will constantly win you games.
Hitouts can be sharked aka Sandilands, and big men don't usually offer a lot in the way of skills. Cox was the GOAT for skills in a big man yet I would still rather have had the ball in the hands of pretty much all the other midfielders in '06 (except Fletcher & Stenglein).
Yes Jackson would cost a fortune. Mature ruck through the draft with a bit of mongrel would be a gap filler until a young ruck hopefully develops.

Big call, what do you like the most? I think he can be had a few picks lower
Honestly depends which team holds the first pick, and what their needs are.

If North or Gold Coast have pick one, they don’t need another inside mid.

However Port do, having loaded up on outside mids and flankers in recent years.

Bit of consensus on the draft board that Wardlaw, Tsatas and Ashcroft are the top 3 talents in this year’s draft. Certainly among the Rookie Me Central draft watchers.

Tsatas might have a higher ceiling, but Wardlaw has a greater chance of reaching his ceiling than Tsatas.

Last edited:
Perhaps we could trade 19 + 21 to Brisbane for Pick 16 + Robinson ..

Brissy possibly looking for points for F/S Ashcroft ..

Leaves us with picks 3 , 16 , Robinson , 39 ..
More than happy for you to have Robinson. We’ll keep Robertson. 😉

Jordyn Baker our academy player looks like he had a good game on the weekend for EP Colts: 22 disposals, 5 Mark's, 2 I50s.
Skinny winger with good skills and courageous.

I watched that game on the AFL Streaming service. If I had known we had a NGA player in the game, I would have paid more attention. The EP Colts look to have a good team this year, for a change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he wasn't the unused sub last week then? If he was the sub in the first week, the sub who played last week and has played every week otherwise then he's a best 23 player in his second year. He's playing virtually every week, why would he come here for more opportunity? So he can sit behind Simmo's credits in the bank crew? So he can play off a flank while we force Gaff into an inside mid role?
GWS has drafted too many players to keep pretty much every year of their entire existence, it's the way they seem to operate, doesn't mean we're going to be able to screw them

Have they let other mids go for unders?

Yes they have. Finishing bottom 3 helps in negotiations.

Bond suggested a low pick in the 20's for Bruhn so that may happen.

What may come into play is our top 5 pick goes to GWS for its 1st plus Bruhn.

Pick 3 for Bruhn and pick 9 say and squeeze a 3rd rounder out of them as well.

Then with our 2nd, Ports and a 3rd we need to get another 1st to trade for English as we all know we are required to use one first rounder this draft.

Really in order to fast track any rebuild we need to do what the Hawks couldnt. Trade out a couple of older players for picks to hit the draft harder.

But who?

Its not the West Coast way but that trade for Kelly may force our hand.
Bond also said we were very keen on Matthew Johnson in the draft last year. We know how that played out.

No knock on Bond, but what Bond thinks and what Rohan O’Brien thinks may be mutually exclusive.

Yes Jackson would cost a fortune. Mature ruck through the draft with a bit of mongrel would be a gap filler until a young ruck hopefully develops.
Yes Jackson would cost a fortune, but cheaper than the investments and match play performances of B.Williams, Hickey, Vardy, Brooksby etc. One player you can pick every week for 10 years and 5 draft picks you can spend on midfielders, half back flankers, what ever takes your fancy

I see Jackson as a KPF who is really happy in the ruck. His time as KPF is usually not the close to goals one and hence structurally he changes the team. More like a Richmond Lynch who rucks. Not needing another tall on the bench helps big time in running out quarters

I would be happy going for a lesser profile ruck like Pittonet or Hickey and have Jackson in bursts.

Imagine the chaos Ryan and Rioli would cause with Jackson at chf

I see Jackson as a KPF who is really happy in the ruck. His time as KPF is usually not the close to goals one and hence structurally he changes the team. More like a Richmond Lynch who rucks. Not needing another tall on the bench helps big time in running out quarters

I would be happy going for a lesser profile ruck like Pittonet or Hickey and have Jackson in bursts.

No way jackson would leave Melbourne for us

Unlike Lynch he also pressures and tackles like a small

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back