Traded Izak Rankine traded to Adelaide with #46 & F4 (Freo) for #5, F3 & F4

Remove this Banner Ad

So you think that his previous seasons at AFL level mean nothing.
But his original draft position is still relevant?
Well yes, because he's a 22-year-old. It'd be different if he was 5 years older.

Players are rarely drafted in the first round for what they can contribute in the next few seasons. If they can immediately crack the best 22, that's just a bonus, but it's not the be all or end all, nor should it have much bearing on their value.

Petracca was widely considered a bust at age 23. By age 25, he was the best player in the comp.

It's the same contract as Charlie Cameron, who was contracted when he left the crows. For Pick 12.

I've seen this argument a number of times. Yes Cameron went for Pick 12, but if you look at the key stats that a small forward would be judged on, Rankine clearly had a better season in the season they were traded (Cameron at the end of 2017 - remember that was in a losing GF team, compared to a team that didn't make finals).

Goal averages
Cameron - 1.2
Rankine - 1.6

Behind averages
Cameron - 1.0
Rankine - 1.2

Goal Assist
Cameron - 0.7
Rankine - 1.0

Score Involvements
Cameron - 5.3
Rankine - 6.2

So you say Cameron was traded for Pick 12 (which judging by Adelaide opinions on here was for unders), yet a player that has performed at a higher standard, shouldn't be traded for more??

Do you see the issue with that logic?

I’d say Pick 5 is as close to his exact value as it gets.

Still young, potential is obvious, but hasn’t set the competition on fire to the point he’d be worth anymore.

Don’t think the Suns are going to fight to hard if that’s on the table. They have Rosas, Hollands and Jeffrey developing and can pick the eyes out of the draft again.

They are set for a big jump next year IMO.

Exactly. He was Pick 3 I believe. Has done decent, pick 5 sounds about right. Maybe Adelaide can throw in a third rounder to make them happy or something. but it seems like the most simple trade of all.

I've seen this argument a number of times. Yes Cameron went for Pick 12, but if you look at the key stats that a small forward would be judged on, Rankine clearly had a better season in the season they were traded (Cameron at the end of 2017 - remember that was in a losing GF team, compared to a team that didn't make finals).

Goal averages
Cameron - 1.2
Rankine - 1.6

Behind averages
Cameron - 1.0
Rankine - 1.2

Goal Assist
Cameron - 0.7
Rankine - 1.0

Score Involvements
Cameron - 5.3
Rankine - 6.2

So you say Cameron was traded for Pick 12 (which judging by Adelaide opinions on here was for unders), yet a player that has performed at a higher standard, shouldn't be traded for more??

Contracted

Well yes, because he's a 22-year-old. It'd be different if he was 5 years older.

Players are rarely drafted in the first round for what they can contribute in the next few seasons. If they can immediately crack the best 22, that's just a bonus, but it's not the be all or end all, nor should it have much bearing on their value.

Petracca was widely considered a bust at age 23. By age 25, he was the best player in the comp.

I think you're underselling the expectations for his early seasons. i don't remember him being considered a long burn prospect.

Goal averages
Cameron - 1.2
Rankine - 1.6

Behind averages
Cameron - 1.0
Rankine - 1.2

Goal Assist
Cameron - 0.7
Rankine - 1.0

Score Involvements
Cameron - 5.3
Rankine - 6.2

Contracted vs uncontracted.

Part of it also comes down to how we were using charlie at the time. He was playing second fiddle to Betts, and his primary role was as a pressure forward (one of the best in the comp) rather than an offensive weapon.

I think you're underselling the expectations for his early seasons. i don't remember him being considered a long burn prospect.
I didn't say he was a long-burn prospect, but he came with baggage and weaknesses that all clubs were aware of. He was spoken about as a top 5 pick due to his upside, as most top 5 picks are. That upside was plain to see this season.

Our recruiting staff has changed over multiple times since Meeson. Pointless to bring up drafting from 15+ years ago
Well, actually poster is quite right regarding the first round pick/bust situation. It doesn’t matter what staff picked them.
That applies to every club.
The point was that Adelaide have been good in drafting quality in the later rounds and rookie picks which is valid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say he was a long-burn prospect, but he came with baggage and weaknesses that all clubs were aware of. He was spoken about as a top 5 pick due to his upside, as most top 5 picks are. That upside was plain to see this season.
What baggage and weaknesses?

Contracted vs uncontracted.

Part of it also comes down to how we were using charlie at the time. He was playing second fiddle to Betts, and his primary role was as a pressure forward (one of the best in the comp) rather than an offensive weapon.

Being uncontracted will have some impact.

I can see this thread over the next 6 weeks being.

Adelaide fans - No way should we give up pick 5.
Gold Coast fans - We want more than pick 5

And most other fans going, its somewhere in between, probably pick 5 and a future 3rd for 1 of Gold Coasts 2nds this year, which is probably what it gets done for.

What baggage and weaknesses?
Endurance, discipline, and a tendency to try to do everything himself were the main ones pre-draft.

As to the baggage, that was probably a poor word. There was concerns surrounding his attitude and IIRC there was a pre-draft interview in which he actually pretty much suggested exactly what has happened could happen.

Endurance, discipline, and a tendency to try to do everything himself were the main ones pre-draft.

As to the baggage, that was probably a poor word. There was concerns surrounding his attitude and IIRC there was a pre-draft interview in which he actually pretty much suggested exactly what has happened could happen.
First sentence I agree and I think it’s getting ironed out so GC are pissed.
Baggage of being understanding of where you gonna be picked? Or cockiness or?
Yeah he’s got tickets. His u/18 carnival into draft yr was insane. Yeah he’s got tickets.
Goal would be to guide, not harness.

do you mean leaving gold coast?

Well, actually poster is quite right regarding the first round pick/bust situation. It doesn’t matter what staff picked them.
That applies to every club.
The point was that Adelaide have been good in drafting quality in the later rounds and rookie picks which is valid.

Yeah which must be even more frustrating for Crows fans that you wasted a couple of really good first round picks on Chayce Jones and Fisher McAsey.

We have had similar busts at Carlton too, nothing more infuriating as a supporter knowing your club wasted a top pick on a player, that for a variety of reasons was q massive bad call by the club (in our case, Blaine Boekhorst and Paddy Dow in the last 10 years)

So you'd use the exact same pick, but spite Gold Coast by not giving it to them? That would be the most petty move I've ever seen in the AFL, and would poison any future negotiations between the two clubs.
No. I said we offer pick 5 outright, but if GC talk rubbish and want two firsts, or pick 5 and a second, and don't do a deal for pick 5 alone then we just take him in the National Draft with Pick 5 alone. Either way we lose pick 5.

Yeah which must be even more frustrating for Crows fans that you wasted a couple of really good first round picks on Chayce Jones and Fisher McAsey.

We have had similar busts at Carlton too, nothing more infuriating as a supporter knowing your club wasted a top pick on a player, that for a variety of reasons was q massive bad call by the club (in our case, Blaine Boekhorst and Paddy Dow in the last 10 years)
Goes to show that picks are speculative.
Media just thrives on the first round guns. Follow their career from go to wo.
Then do a nostalgic piece on a guy on his way out playing 250 that got picked later.
just hoses.

do you mean leaving gold coast?
No, just that he was a flight risk more generally. He was pretty clear in saying that staying in SA was his preference. I think that might have changed somewhat, because he did seem set to re-sign for a while.

That being said, that's probably not too different to most draftees, but most of them just don't say it. Dunkley and Perkins are the only 2 (excluding FS and Academy players) I can recall off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more.

It's only unreasonable if Adelaide refuse to pay it. And there's still the small matter of making it past North, West Coast, Essendon and GWS.
Which is why Adelaide put him in the National draft.
He suddenly has a three year deal at 1 mill a year to match. West Coast, North, GWS and Essendon arnt going to blow a top 5 pick in the national draft on a guy that has moved back to Adelaide and doesn't want to play for them when they can get a top5 kid with no hang ups. No way they risk that. A free hit in the PSD is another thing.

Which is why Adelaide put him in the National draft.
He suddenly has a three year deal at 1 mill a year to match. West Coast, North, GWS and Essendon arnt going to blow a top 5 pick in the national draft on a guy that has moved back to Adelaide and doesn't want to play for them when they can get a top5 kid with no hang ups. No way they risk that. A free hit in the PSD is another thing.
People in this thread have been claiming the reported 800k/year offer to Rankine was an exaggeration. Are you suggesting it's actually an underestimate and Adelaide are offering 1m/year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back