Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can we turn any of the following into a f2 pick? 38, 48, 55, 58,64

Would think we would need to:

Package 55&58 for something in the 40’s
Leaves 38, 40 something & 48

38 & 40 something be good enough for a f2?

I have the feeling it’ll probably be rat & 38 to be a chance of a f2 (possibly something else included f4)

Popcorn GIF by WWE

I have to say this is me , after reading the Hawks board 😅 😂
Try reading the draft board …salt mine

The takes on Geelong by salty opposition are already absolutely wild:

- like Sydney after the Buddy trade, Geelong should be banned from trading

- Geelong should have a reverse COLA due to lower cost of living

- $1 pubs, Costa, Cotton On, etc.

Animated GIF

All the same person:

- Why would Bowes agree to it though? No sane person would accept the same amount of money over 4 years as they’re owed over 2 (unless they’re receiving an extra income outside the salary cap).

- So you’re saying Bowes would accept the equivalent of $200k per year over years 3 and 4 when he’d likely fetch hundreds of thousands more on the open market? Sorry but there’s no way he’d do that.

- No I don’t. But again, it doesn’t make sense for Bowes to agree to spreading his salary unless he’s receiving something extra outside the salary cap. Which is extremely fishy.

Former Collingwood recruiter Matt Rendell has urged the Magpies to prioritise the signing of Cat Esava Ratugolea, who is considered a big chance to depart Kardinia Park in the coming week.

Despite being contracted for 2023, there is plenty of interest in 24-year-old Ratugolea according to Geelong list manager Andrew Mackie, with Port Adelaide considered among the frontrunners.

Ratugolea has primarily been used as a key forward in his 59 games at Geelong but was thrown behind the ball at times in his four appearances in 2022 given the Cats are well stocked up forward.

But Rendell believes the 198cm Cat has to go, declaring he’s unlikely to find a spot in Geelong’s best 22.

“It’ll be interesting to see if they can keep hold of players like Ratugolea,” Rendell began on AFL Trade Radio.

Geelong also blooded Shannon Neale and Oliver Dempsey as key forwards in 2022.

---

Turning Ratugolea into O. Henry sounds an interesting prospect; but I have to question if Rendell is aware of who Ollie Dempsey is, or is Dempsey the modern key forward at 185cm?

We do need height but p7 is prob our only ND pick and its prob too early for a tall (unless we split 7 for 2 picks in the teens).

Add a couple of KPPs with our rookie picks maybe?

Where will the likes of Barnett go? What about some of those names that were hot earlier in the year Keller . Leemey.

All non vics but as late picks... probably going to lose some talls anyway

All the same person:

- Why would Bowes agree to it though? No sane person would accept the same amount of money over 4 years as they’re owed over 2 (unless they’re receiving an extra income outside the salary cap).

- So you’re saying Bowes would accept the equivalent of $200k per year over years 3 and 4 when he’d likely fetch hundreds of thousands more on the open market? Sorry but there’s no way he’d do that.

- No I don’t. But again, it doesn’t make sense for Bowes to agree to spreading his salary unless he’s receiving something extra outside the salary cap. Which is extremely fishy.
People really find the salary spreading concept hard don’t they.

For 2023 and 2024 he is owed money from 2021 and 2022 when he was underpaid by GC. Eg. He might have got $250k, $250k, $850k, $850k. So on average the contract was worth $550k p.a.

In years 2023/2024 we can either pay him $850k in each year and then revert to something like $550k in 2025/2026 OR we can smooth the whole thing out so he gets eg. $700k x 4 OR we could even backend it again (less likely).

He is not going to be on $200k in 2025/26. That’s nonsense.

Now maybe we convinced him to take a haircut so instead of getting $2.8m over 4 he’s getting $2.3m or $2.4m ($575-600k per year) and that’s the advantage Geelong has. We say, yes you’ll earn a bit less but cost of living is cheaper so you’re probably no worse off anyway, plus you get the cruiser lifestyle, winning culture, etc.

Former Collingwood recruiter Matt Rendell has urged the Magpies to prioritise the signing of Cat Esava Ratugolea, who is considered a big chance to depart Kardinia Park in the coming week.

Despite being contracted for 2023, there is plenty of interest in 24-year-old Ratugolea according to Geelong list manager Andrew Mackie, with Port Adelaide considered among the frontrunners.

Ratugolea has primarily been used as a key forward in his 59 games at Geelong but was thrown behind the ball at times in his four appearances in 2022 given the Cats are well stocked up forward.

But Rendell believes the 198cm Cat has to go, declaring he’s unlikely to find a spot in Geelong’s best 22.

“It’ll be interesting to see if they can keep hold of players like Ratugolea,” Rendell began on AFL Trade Radio.

Geelong also blooded Shannon Neale and Oliver Dempsey as key forwards in 2022.

---

Turning Ratugolea into O. Henry sounds an interesting prospect; but I have to question if Rendell is aware of who Ollie Dempsey is, or is Dempsey the modern key forward at 185cm?

Guys who made money form the industry ... sometimes I just wonder. The more they talk ..them more I wonder. Rendell is a classic...but Sanderson was particularly banal in this enviorment. I thought his game analysis was good but on TR , every player is almost a champion

I think your being a bit hard on Sam Menengola - he is the unlucky Geelong player in this premiership without a doubt

If he had been sub( and he was most likely the next in line ) - and for sake of the arguement - say Guthrie does his hamstring at 3qtr time

Then in my opinion Sam M would have had an absolute picnic in that last qtr - in my opinion 10-12 possessions and maybe a couple of goals - because he racks up the possessions - is a thumping kick - and kicks goals
Parfitt's GF last 12 minutes were every bit that good, 8 possessions, a goal, and he'd be the preferred mid out of the 2. No slight on SM, but there's not much need or space for him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys who made money form the industry ... sometimes I just wonder. The more they talk ..them more I wonder. Rendell is a classic...but Sanderson was particularly banal in this enviorment. I thought his game analysis was good but on TR , every player is almost a champion
Sanderson and his suggestions on what Chris Scott should say prior to the prelim final to his players. Just uninspiring. And then CS should have gotten Selwood to speak. What absolute stupidity.

All they had to do in all their finals was play the way the have been playing. Play your role, seek 1% improvement in whatever you do, look after your team mates, be professional and ruthless.

Yeah absolutely. Id be hopeful the next couple of drafts we can get a decent key defender in the 2nd / 3rd round. Or via FA as you say.

There is always the option to get a mature age one from a state league late in the ND or via rookie draft too as this has been successful for some clubs.

As you say key gun key forwards tend to go early; its a shame Cadman won't be available by pick 7.

Yeah key forwards are tricky as there arent many bankable ones except cadman so i doubt we go that way.
I do agree that our best bet this year is probably to take a kpd as a rookie (mature age or not).

For 2023 and 2024 he is owed money from 2021 and 2022 when he was underpaid by GC. Eg. He might have got $250k, $250k, $850k, $850k. So on average the contract was worth $550k p.a.

In years 2023/2024 we can either pay him $850k in each year and then revert to something like $550k in 2025/2026 OR we can smooth the whole thing out so he gets eg. $700k x 4 OR we could even backend it again (less likely).

Now maybe we convinced him to take a haircut so instead of getting $2.8m over 4 he’s getting $2.3m or $2.4m ($575-600k per year) and that’s the advantage Geelong has. We say, yes you’ll earn a bit less but cost of living is cheaper so you’re probably no worse off anyway, plus you get the cruiser lifestyle, winning culture, etc.

It's amazing how many commenting either don't understand, don't know or just completely forget that the only reason Bowes is owed approx $1.6 million over the next two years is because GC renegotiated his contract so that it was backend to this extent

So not sure why we're suddenly the bad ones if we offer him an extended contract and even out the balance - how about blaming GC for ******* up in the first place

It's the same as those bitching about him wanting out & "youngsters wanting out from struggling teams to go elsewhere rather than sticking out out" - and it being very clearly pointed at Bowes. Do those claiming that crap not realise that in cases like Bowes, it's the club who's essentially pushing him out the door due to their own mismanagement

Exactly. He is owed around 600..and will get that or most of it. He might concede a bit or he might not. What he probably will not be on is the 550. That might be what ever Zac Guth is on... 350-400?

What ever his base was at Gold Coast I doubt that he will be getting at Geelong...but we are up for what he is owed for the discounted years

Even that 400 base might be fudged a bit 300, 350, 475 , 475

but Geelong payment + 150 over 4 years. Done.

I think your being a bit hard on Sam Menengola - he is the unlucky Geelong player in this premiership without a doubt

If he had been sub( and he was most likely the next in line ) - and for sake of the arguement - say Guthrie does his hamstring at 3qtr time

Then in my opinion Sam M would have had an absolute picnic in that last qtr - in my opinion 10-12 possessions and maybe a couple of goals - because he racks up the possessions - is a thumping kick - and kicks goals

Yeah look hes unlucky because if not for injury he would have been best 23 and i agree with you he would have played well in the GF. Very unlucky not to have a flag. But its true that at 30 with younger players coming in he might find it harder to find a regular game with us than he has.

It's amazing how many commenting either don't understand, don't know or just completely forget that the only reason Bowes is owed approx $1.6 million over the next two years is because GC renegotiated his contract so that it was backend to this extent

So not sure why we're suddenly the bad ones if we offer him an extended contract and even out the balance - how about blaming GC for ******* up in the first place

It's the same as those bitching about him wanting out & "youngsters wanting out from struggling teams to go elsewhere rather than sticking out out" - and it being very clearly pointed at Bowes. Do those claiming that crap not realise that in cases like Bowes, it's the club who's essentially pushing him out the door due to their own mismanagement

Sounds like we're giving him an extra 200K a year anyway, so he gets his 1.6 MIL and then an extra 400K for his troubles. For a guy who's only 24 and to be on half a mil at the reigning premiers, that's not too shabby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back