AFC CG Options

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonathan Martin to stand trial for threatening Richie Incognito

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 16, 2019, 6:06 PM EST

gettyimages-158704701-e1547679956544.jpg

Getty Images

The former Dolphins offensive lineman who left the team after saying he was bullied by teammates will stand trial for threatening the teammate who was accused of leading the bullying.

A judge ruled today that Jonathan Martin must stand trial for three felony charges for threatening Incognito and two former high school classmates, the New York Daily News reports.

A fourth felony charge, for threatening former Dolphins teammate Mike Pouncey, was dropped because Pouncey said he did not take the threat seriously and did not want to press charges.

The charges stem from a February 22 Instagram post in which Martin showed a picture of a shotgun and wrote, “When you’re a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge.” The post tagged Pouncey, Incognito and the two high school classmates.

Police say Martin’s web search history showed he clicked on a story about Incognito just hours before he ordered a pump-action shotgun online.

Martin abruptly left the Dolphins during the 2013 season, saying the way he had been treated had harmed his mental health. The NFL hired an independent investigator who found that Incognito, Pouncey and teammate John Jerry had harassed Martin.

Someone needs to let go & get on with his ******* life.

Nah it's pretty dumb

Well not really. People had said many times that they’re not the same Pats, doubting Brady, not really looking as a real danger. Chargers were big chance to beat them.

Could still turn into s**t this weekend but plenty including myself had doubts. I certainly didn’t expect anything like that first half v Chargers.

Well not really. People had said many times that they’re not the same Pats, doubting Brady, not really looking as a real danger. Chargers were big chance to beat them.

Could still turn into s**t this weekend but plenty including myself had doubts. I certainly didn’t expect anything like that first half v Chargers.
The problem is Brady lovers think that if Brady is not 100% then he can not drag the Pats to victory. This is far from the truth

If people are saying Brady is not the same as he once was, not a top 5 QB anymore, but rather in that 5-10 range, they're not saying the Pats can't win, because the Pats don't need a top 5 QB to win the SB.

So when the dick riders hear reasonable unbiased fans of the game like myself say he's probably like the 6th best QB they have the false notion in their head that people are saying the Pats can't win because Brady can no longer drag them to victory, as they think he always has, which is another false notion

FWIW Pats would probably be my 4th pick to win it all from here, but I certainly picked them to beat the Chargers and not surprised that they're in this position. It's a testament to why their org is currently lightyears ahead of the competition

That being said it wouldn't be a shock for them to win this week and here's hoping they do (and here's hoping they're favourites in the SB because if not the underdog stuff would make me implode)

This is the second time since 2016 the Pats will start as underdogs, in a run of championships over 18 years. I'm not sure that level of dominance warrants being self-proclaimed dogs and ramming it down everyone's throats.

If I can say that as a fan I can only imagine how insufferable it could be for others

This is the second time since 2016 the Pats will start as underdogs, in a run of championships over 18 years. I'm not sure that level of dominance warrants being self-proclaimed dogs and ramming it down everyone's throats.

If I can say that as a fan I can only imagine how insufferable it could be for others

Based on this seasons form, they’re underdogs. Ask any bookmaker

Based on this seasons form, they’re underdogs. Ask any bookmaker
I wasn't disputing the fact they're not favourite for this game and you're missing the point.

The Patriots shouting from the rooftops about being underdogs is like going to temple once and then telling everyone that breathes that you're now Jewish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still have vivid December memories of the way Raiders, Ravens and Seahawks running games gashed through Chiefs defence, not to mention Chargers comeback.

Despite last week still big question marks on their defence.

Then again Pats O hasn’t been that convincing, Brady has looked sharp last couple of games.

Don’t think ther will be much separating teams. Chiefs home field to get them over the line 31-27

With the conditions as proposed, Mahomes will throw a couple of picks - I have no doubt about that.

Will be interesting game and I expect low scoring with Pats run game to the fore.

Still expect KC to win narrowly unfortunately.
I don't know about that

Mahomes is crisp. Unless it's super cold (which it won't be) and the ball is slippery, then I don't see him being affected.

Chiefs adjusted well in the 2nd half last time and Mahomes was not in the zone in the first half, this was obvious.

I think he will be pretty comfortable out there unfortunately

Heard some stats that unless it's under 10F, offenses aren't really affected all that much anyway (at least scoring wise)

Yeah, especially these two teams

Still have vivid December memories of the way Raiders, Ravens and Seahawks running games gashed through Chiefs defence, not to mention Chargers comeback.

Despite last week still big question marks on their defence.

Then again Pats O hasn’t been that convincing, Brady has looked sharp last couple of games.

Don’t think ther will be much separating teams. Chiefs home field to get them over the line 31-27
Pats run game the key to keeping it close and giving the Chiefs less possessions. They did to the Chargers what I thought the Ravens would/should have done.

Anyway, Brady was throwing it much better against LAC than the last handful of regular season games, but looked like he was seeing a few ghosts in the pocket even when he shouldn't have been which was weird, but we've seen more of that from him the last two years which is probably why he struggles against the blitz these days.

If the Chiefs jump them early, like 14-3, that Chiefs pass rush is going to go HAM and the Pats will be in trouble.

Much awaited official preview Pt. II

Some notes
- Pats 1-4 on grass this season
- lost last 3 road playoff games
- Belichick 12-10 in playoff rematches from the regular season (1-5 on the road)
- Patriots 1-5 when allowing 17+ points on the road this season (Chiefs lowest home score is 26)
- Belichick has allowed 40 points 7 times with the Pats, 3 of those to Reid
- Reid 6-10 in playoff rematches from the regular season (4-4 at home)
- Chiefs 29.0 PPG against top 10 scoring defenses at home this season
- Reid 35.8 PPG vs. Patriots as a Chief

Patriots O vs. Chiefs D
Although the Chiefs copped a lot of slack for their defensive performances this season, they were remarkably good at home. Although they were ranked 30th in DVOA on the road, they improved to 12th at home. As they did against the Chargers, I look for the Patriots to try and receiver the opening kickoff, and alow themselves to set the tempo of this game early. Their run game is their biggest strength, and in order to keep Brady clean, and prevent the treacherous trio of Houston, Jones and Ford from wrecking their season, the Pats will need to establish their physicality and determination to have a succesful run game as soon as possible. They're going to have a significant chance to do this, as they are facing the 32nd ranked run defense in DVOA in the Chiefs. The thing that worries me here is that the Patriots have been far more succesful running the ball at home than on the road. At home the Pats average 4.5 YPC, whilst they were going at 3.9 YPC on the road, and out of 8 games with 120+ rushing yards, only one was away from Foxborough. For whatever reason, the Patriots have just had trouble getting into their rhythm on the road.

Similarly to the Rams this week, the Patriots need the run game to help set up the play action game. The Pats are at their most dangerous when they get that PA game humming, they called play action on 29% of passes (4th in the league), and average 9.9 YPP on PA passes (1st in the league). The problem if the Pats are unable to establish the run/PA game is that they have no way to open the game up. On non play action plays, New England averaged just 6.3 YPP, which was only 21st in the NFL.

If the Pats don't find success in the run game, and are forced into 3rd and long situations, it could spell the end for them. Brady's troubles against pressure an man coverage have been well documented enough by now, and although the Chiefs aren't as talented as the Chargers, they are at least going to call the game in the right way to have a chance this week.

Chiefs O vs. Patriots D
The first thing I'll mention as I did above is that the Patriots defense ranked 2nd in DVOA at home this season, but was amazingly 31st on the road. This is a different team on the road in every phase of the game. As good as the Patriots secondary is, and as good as the numbers are, Reid, Mahomes and the Chiefs are simply next level brilliant at what they do. The Patriots ranked 2nd in DVOA against deep passes this season, but in week 6, after a rocky start, the Chiefs were still able to adjust and beat the Patriots deep to get back in the game. They did the same in week 1 of last season to blow it open in the 2nd half. Reid has the ability to dial it up against Belichick, and he's done it time and time again. The week 6 experience should be very handy for Mahomes who will first of all not be as mesmerised by the moment he finds himself in this time, but will also be expecting a few more of the looks the Patriots throw at him, as well as how to deal with them this time around. The Patriots will have to find a way to keep Mahomes in the pocket, and design a few looks which they can use on crucial 3rd downs in order to just cause enough havoc to get the Chiefs off the field, and/or cause turnovers.

The Chiefs will likely lean on their run game the least out of the four teams remaining this week, but that doesn't mean they won't find success in that area.

Special Teams
The Chiefs have had hands down one of the better ST's units since Reid came along in 2013. For the Pats, Gostkowski has had a tendency to miss kicks in big games ever since that missed PAT in Denver for the 2015 AFCCG. Although it's hard to predict something like that coming to fruition, if this battle does fall in one teams favour, I'd say it will be the Chiefs.

My Pick
One of my keys to a Patriots win was to control the possession and the clock (by running the ball), give the Chiefs less opportunities to score, and hope the O-line can hold up just enough so that Brady can convert a crucial few plays so that the Patriots could score the 30ish points they would need to win the game. The problem is that they did dominate the clock in week 6, 36 minutes of possession, and the Chiefs still put up 40 points. That was with the Chiefs playing their worst half of the season, Mahomes starting poorly, 24 points given up, and a ridiculous rushing TD by Brady that would never happen in this weeks game, not to mention the game was in Foxborough. The Patriots have to execute so well to even have a chance to win this game late that I just can't see it happening. If the Chiefs jump out early, it's over. If the Pats jump out early, Mahomes will come screaming back. I see some similarities between this and the 2013 AFCCG between New England and Denver. The teams are very similarly placed as the Patriots and Broncos teams were that season, and I think this game will play out quite the same, just a little closer. The Chiefs will put scoreboard pressure on early, the Patriots will have decent success in the run game, but at some point they will realise Michel and White aren't going to keep up with Hill and Watkins. I'm not saying it will be, but if either of these games is a blowout this week, it will be this one. The Pats won't go down without a fight, but the Chiefs will be this years AFC representative.

NE: .3. - 7 - 0 - 14 - 24
KC: 10 - 7 - 7 - .7. - 31

Back