Resource 2020 planning thread - mistakes, corrections, research and projections

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Houston but Clark would be a way bigger POD
Out of interest, what's Ports midfield brigade looking like this year? Wines is slightly interesting to me after having such an injury riddled year last year and not getting any continuity to his game. Can see him bumping his average considerably but also not enough to be a keeper

One thing I wan't to try and avoid this year is starting with premium midfielders who will likely be target of a tag most weeks. Nothing annoys me more than settling in to watch a game and someone is hanging off your bloke all game. Can we start to compile a list of premo mids who will attract a tag most weeks and those who will run freely. I'll start us off with a few off the top of my head

Tag: Cripps, Sloane, Sidebottom, Neale
No tag: Crouch brothers, Dunkley, Treloar, Taranto, Gaff

One thing I wan't to try and avoid this year is starting with premium midfielders who will likely be target of a tag most weeks. Nothing annoys me more than settling in to watch a game and someone is hanging off your bloke all game. Can we start to compile a list of premo mids who will attract a tag most weeks and those who will run freely. I'll start us off with a few off the top of my head

Tag: Cripps, Sloane, Sidebottom, Neale
No tag: Crouch brothers, Dunkley, Treloar, Taranto, Gaff
Ade: Sloane
Bris: Neale/Zorko
Car: Cripps
Col: Sidebottom
Ess: No one (Hepp/Zerr)
Fre: Fyfe
Geel: Danger
GCS: Rowell?
GWS: Conig/Kelly
Haw: O'Meara
Mel: No one?
Nor: No one (Higgins?)
Port: Gray?
Rich: Dusty
Stk: Billings?
Syd: Parker
WCE: Yeo
WBD: Macrae/Bont

Off the top of my head

Houston but Clark would be a way bigger POD
I'm just not sure I can trust Kerrn though!

If SPP is moving forward to 'scare' opposition :rolleyes:, where does Ebert play? Is he back into the midfield? Does this impact Houston / Rozee / Duursma?

Ess: No one (Hepp/Zerr) - Dev Smith if he gets back to 2018 form
Mel: No one? Piggy Oliver
Port: Gray? Boak?
WCE: Yeo + Kelly

Off the top of my head
Made a few additions in bold

Off the top of my head
Zerrett started to cop it a bit last year, more than he has previously. I think Kelly is now the prime tag target at the eagles. Port I'd imagine it would be Boak after his 2019 form. Matt Crouch could be a very good POD this year - his finish to 2019 was better than anyone

Zerrett started to cop it a bit last year, more than he has previously. I think Kelly is now the prime tag target at the eagles. Port I'd imagine it would be Boak after his 2019 form. Matt Crouch could be a very good POD this year - his finish to 2019 was better than anyone
Don't forget Whitfield at GWS too is a prime target, as well as Laird who got a bit of attention at the Crows in the last few years.

I'd say Titch will attract attention this year too

Out of interest, what's Ports midfield brigade looking like this year? Wines is slightly interesting to me after having such an injury riddled year last year and not getting any continuity to his game. Can see him bumping his average considerably but also not enough to be a keeper
Midfield rotation probably consists of Atley, Drew, Ebert, Gray, SPP, Motlop and Butters with Wines, Rozee, Rockliff, Houston and Boak likely being the most frequent.

As Thetrader15 said though, who farKEN knows

Midfield rotation probably consists of Atley, Drew, Ebert, Gray, SPP, Motlop and Butters with Wines, Rozee, Rockliff, Houston and Boak likely being the most frequent.

As Thetrader15 said though, who farKEN knows
Spewing Atley played that one solitary game last year. Could've been a half decent cash cow for us otherwise

Thoughts on Sidebottom? Missed 1 game the past 3 years and is an underpriced premium but doesnt seem to get much love. Less Beams should help too.
Playing it safe is extremely interesting with top end premiums 100ish above

By safe I mean proven durability and scoring (You know what your gonna get)

Last year just about everyone started Brayshaw chasing that extra upside but he had still only really had half a year of proven record.

The year before many jumped on the top premiums to start 2018 in Duncan, Zorko, Dusty, Z.Merrett all of them dropped off significantly. Zorko and Dusty hadn't consistently been at the 114 mark. Zorko and Zerrett had tag issues hanging over their head.

You just know Sideys going to be safe he's going to avg between 98-105 and played every week

Ports midfield and setup is interesting, they seem to have maybe one too many

Onball: Wines, Rockliff, Boak, Houston
Deep Fwd/Mid: R.Gray
Half Fwd/Mid: SPP and Rozee
Wing: Duursma, Every, Amon

From what I'm reading and being said over PS that seems how they will setup

B: Hartlett - Clurey - Jonas
HB: DBJ - Westhoff - Burton (Bonner)
C: Duursma - Wines - Ebert (Amon)
HF: SPP - Dixon - Rozee
F: Ladhams - R.Gray - Z.Butters (T.Marshall/Motlop/Bergman)
R: Lycett - Boak - Rockliff (Houston)

It will be very interesting to see if they pick Ladhams. I'm a huge fan of him think he's a future 🌟 However maybe Todd Marshall in for him and Bergman or Motlop the 7th forward.

Ebert - Could be a serious option if he's back on a wing

Houston - Everything being said about hims great and firmly in my picture as a mid. But he's the 4th rotating mid there at best unless injury... Does he get enough time. I wouldn't think many 4th onballers coming off the bench would avg over 90?

Ports midfield and setup is interesting, they seem to have maybe one too many

Onball: Wines, Rockliff, Boak, Houston
Deep Fwd/Mid: R.Gray
Half Fwd/Mid: SPP and Rozee
Wing: Duursma, Every, Amon

From what I'm reading and being said over PS that seems how they will setup

B: Hartlett - Clurey - Jonas
HB: DBJ - Westhoff - Burton (Bonner)
C: Duursma - Wines - Ebert (Amon)
HF: SPP - Dixon - Rozee
F: Ladhams - R.Gray - Z.Butters (T.Marshall/Motlop/Bergman)
R: Lycett - Boak - Rockliff (Houston)

It will be very interesting to see if they pick Ladhams. I'm a huge fan of him think he's a future 🌟 However maybe Todd Marshall in for him and Bergman or Motlop the 7th forward.

Ebert - Could be a serious option if he's back on a wing

Houston - Everything being said about hims great and firmly in my picture as a mid. But he's the 4th rotating mid there at best unless injury... Does he get enough time. I wouldn't think many 4th onballers coming off the bench would avg over 90?
That’s my problem with Houston too. Unsure if he will get enough time in the guts which leans me towards someone like Clarke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a changing of the guard happening in Ports midfield. Our midfield for years has been slow with terrible disposal and has underachieved. The club has identified this and want to give the young guys a shot through the middle in the hopes they do what our veterans cant.

Boak, Gray, Rockliff, Ebert & Wines (seeking a trade) are getting older and arent achieving the results they should be.

Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Houston, Amon & Drew are the players that are looked at as the future of our midfield.

Off the top of my head

N Fyfe (3 votes) is essentially untaggable.

Cheeky DPP chance this year?🤔

Will be interesting to see what we do. Expect lots more mid time for Cerra, Brayshaw, Blakely and some of the new boys also. Though we've got space on the wings from Bhill/Langdon leaving. Don't think Fyfe will be up forward enough to earn DPP but he may snag a few more goals than usual.

There is a changing of the guard happening in Ports midfield. Our midfield for years has been slow with terrible disposal and has underachieved. The club has identified this and want to give the young guys a shot through the middle in the hopes they do what our veterans cant.

Boak, Gray, Rockliff, Ebert & Wines (seeking a trade) are getting older and arent achieving the results they should be.

Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Houston, Amon & Drew are the players that are looked at as the future of our midfield.
Is Rocky guaranteed to line up round 1? He's the one to miss out if they're willing to make a call to really give guys like Houston, Rozee, Butters and SPP time onball

I like the idea of Houston but I don't know much about him as a player. Is he a good player? Where did he play this year?

Is Rocky guaranteed to line up round 1? He's the one to miss out if they're willing to make a call to really give guys like Houston, Rozee, Butters and SPP time onball
If Rocky is fit he will play round 1 but he had surgery in the offseason which gives him a delayed start to preseason. He will likely be a mid with some forward time.

The club wants players to be able to play multiple positions which is why some players are being moved all over the place. SPP is in this boat as he looks to be mainly a forward with some time in the middle this year.

I like the idea of Houston but I don't know much about him as a player. Is he a good player? Where did he play this year?
Houston was a rookie pick so other team supporters dont really know much about him. He has played mainly as a back where his composure and disposal were vital for us. He was moved into the midfield because we needed better disposal and he flourished.

He is highly rated at Port and is expected to step up this year.

For Port rookies Hinkley has said he will play them early and give them a chance like Rozee, Butters and Duursma last season.

Georgiades is looking the best out of the new guys so far. He also fills a need so I expect him to play early and keep his spot. He may not be a high fantasy scorer tho.

Bergman is athletically gifted so his fitness should be high enough to play early. Will need to watch preseason games to see where he plays the most.

Williams is on a modified program as he gets over his back injury.

Mead is the most professional of the picks and is set up the best to succeed in an AFL system. There hasnt been much said about him yet tho as the other draftees are getting all the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back